Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689627
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scale-o-matic 2.0  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
Scale-o-matic 2.0
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:12:37 AM »
Think this might be getting a bit off the track of the thread above...so I figure it is best to break it away.

http://theotherminiaturespage.com/Scale-o-matic-2.0/

Basically the first page is a catalog of miniatures.  Use the select boxes under the pictures to select miniatures you would like to compare and then click the submit button at the bottom of the page.  The second page that you will be taken to when the submit button is clicked lets you move around the images (click and hold and drag).  You do need to allow a small javascript to run...so if you aren't getting anything, be sure to allow that.

You can actually link directly to a comparison page...your choices are passed in the URL of the page.

http://theotherminiaturespage.com/Scale-o-matic-2.0/output.php?box[]=Anima-Veronica&box[]=em4-Trooper&box[]=Games-Workshop-Storm-Guardian&box[]=RAFM-Paige-Fox&box[]=Regiment-Drantakh&box[]=Warzone-Vulkan-Battlesuit

I have a bunch more images to add...after dinner.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:14:15 AM by Scout_II »

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: Scale-o-matic 2.0
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:38:03 AM »
I just tryed, and it's AMAZING!

This is really useful, as now you can make better choices for future purchases, knowing that the minis are (or aren't) compatibles.

THANK YOU!
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:25 AM »
That's the general idea of it.  As long as all the images are taken from close to the same angle - the heights should be pretty close.  Still not as good as actually measuring figures - but even that isn't fool proof.

Right now I have 60 miniatures in there, and I will hopefully have 60 more by the end of the night.  If I can manage to maintain that rate till I leave for a trip on Friday...it should be pretty comprehensive - or at least remotely useful.

Also, if anyone notices problems with it (either in execution or inaccuracies) let me know.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:45 AM »
How does it work? I tried to drag a photo in but it didn't allow me. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:59:18 AM »
On the first page - you make your selections.  Use the check boxes to select as many or as few as you like (at least one...though I recommend 2 or more).  ;)

Once you have your selection, hit ENTER or click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.

It will take you to the comparison page.  You need to allow Javascript on that page - in order to move the images around.  On that page you can move the pictures around and align them to the grid to compare the different figures both in height as well as bulk.

For those who are worried, you can see the source for the script here: http://www.walterzorn.de/en/dragdrop/dragdrop_e.htm

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:38:51 AM »
Hum, I selected 2 figs but on the second page they showed up "squashed", more like a set of horizontal stripes.
There is a slight chance it has something to do with my system as I have encountered a likewise problem with saved photos from the internet before.
 :-[
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:47 AM »
No - actually has to do with my lazy, fast coding.  Right now I am not reading the image file for size...so there is no height/width attribute.  A lot of browsers render it that way at first as a result.  The easy fix is just to hit "F5" (refresh the page) - until I get around to rewriting the display page in order to read the image size and right that into the output.

I have an 8 hour flight though on Friday - so I was planning on doing that then.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
The easy fix is just to hit "F5" (refresh the page).

So it appears  :)

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:57:08 PM »
I might add a "base" t the human comparisons as almost all bases are fairly close in height. That way people are not fudging around trying to compensate for the base. 
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."