Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Six Gun Sound? Some oppinions and reviews would be most welcome  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
Six Gun Sound? Some oppinions and reviews would be most welcome
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
So, we just bought Legends of the Old West, and it looks great, beutiful book, lots of fluff and nice illustrations along with pictures of great models. We also bought all the expansions wich yielded some nice reading.

The only gripe I have with this, is that its too much like Legends of the High Seas. This, naturally, did not come as a big surprise. I got the LotOW rules because I have wanted them for a long time, and I would dare to say that we can play some nice and easy games with them for fun. However, we are looking for a rules set with a bit more fleshed out rules, and where thinking of Two Hour Wargames Six Gun Sound, since we just purchased their Zombie and WWII rules and they are fantastic. With this in mind, we would love to hear what others have to say about Six Gun Sound.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
Re: Six Gun Sound? Some oppinions and reviews would be most welcome
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »
I know nothing about Six Gun Sound I'm afraid, but have you looked at Foundry's "Rules With No Name", by far my favourite Wild West game.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:57 AM »
I got to admit, that looking through the pages here, I have found that the rules system that a lot of people seem to like and prefer, and that sounds interesting to me and our gaming group, are Six Gun Sound, Rules with No Name and Gutshot, all of wich seems to be very fine rules set.

We are really interested in setting up a campaign, and a rather complicated one that is as well. We will allow each player to have a small business, personal houses in the small town, wich will be growing at the rate of people joining and with some additional rules for this and NPC's. We will also allow for trade, coalitions, backstabbing and other "political" entanglements. We also want a system that allow for character development and experience (or the loss of the same).

Offline Mikey

• Student
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »

We are really interested in setting up a campaign, and a rather complicated one that is as well.

You might consider an actual role play set. Six Gun Sound has a great solo campaign but it might not be what you are looking for campaign wise. I have no experience with the various RP systems but there are several of them out there: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?filters=700_2140_0_0_0

For skirmish type games my favorite rules are Tombstones and Tumbleweeds:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=60463&filters=700_2140_0_0_0
Note that they are purely a skirmish game without any RP aspects.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »
The rules system must be detailed enough to be interesting, and preferably allow for a good campaign, along with character development, and as far as I understand Gutshot and the other mentioned systems would allow for much of this. The rest, like town creation and other things more fluff related, I am sure we can write our self.
The solo gaming sounds interesting though, I guess I will have to buy the rules, I wouldent mind supporting the company that makes them, it is after all, the financial support that yields expansions and continued existence of the gaming company, and considering how good their other games are this would not feel like a waste of money. The Rules with No Name is a bit on the expensive side though, but I will be able to borrow a copy on Saturday, so I can read though it a bit.
Would be interesting with a review of Gutshot as well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:48:05 PM by Galland »

Offline doublenot7

• Bookworm
  • Enimo Et Fide
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:30:41 AM »
We play Gutshot, Six Gun Sound, and Legends of the Old West.  I like them all but for different reasons.  Campaign wise I prefer LOTOW.  For 1:1 (up 1:3) player/model ratio, Gutshot is the way to go.  For larger battle games, go with Six Gun Sound.

OP already has seen the other 2HR rules; so you know exactly what you are getting already.  Games can be quick and deadly, so bring more models!  I don't really care for the campaign set up in 6GS, too many charts.  The interactive play is great though and flows good for greater number of models with easy record keeping.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:00 AM »
You could also try Blackwater Gulch
 http://www.blackwatergulch.com/phpBB3/index.php
It just finished the playtesting, its a decent set of rules.

Offline Luc

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
Euthanasor made a critic you can find here
http://euthanasor-wargamesetmodelisme.blogspot.com/2011/04/critique-de-jeu-six-gun-sound-d-ed_18.html
(it's in french but wth a good traductor no problem :D).
You'll find on his blog many others articles and battle reports.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 09:53:54 AM »
Savage Worlds (the RPG game) has a miniature ruleset called Showdown that would be good for character advancement. The system caters for all genres and is pretty well done, it is also free and can be downloaded here http://peginc.com/downloads.html

There is a free older version of Six Gun Sound for you to try - available here http://www.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/downloads/SixGunSoundFinal.pdf

If you do get a campaign going of the caliber you speak of, it would be very cool to see how you did it - please share.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:59:06 AM by Furt »
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »
Thank you, I will check this out.