Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My first "SuperPaint" attempt : marvel heroes and villains  (Read 26241 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
My first "SuperPaint" attempt : marvel heroes and villains
« on: October 22, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
Hi there,

Here's my work in progress topic concerning my first Superhero figures painting, wich I'll use for SuperSystem ruleset.

I've got plenty of old heroclix figures (1st edition, for most of them), so I thought it may be a good start for my new "super collection".

I first stripped down the paint, revealing surprisingly nice details on the figs. Then, I re-based them on big metal washers :

Then, I sprayed a primer coating on them :

Some details on figures :

I also built some "flying bases" for several characters :

Now I'll prepare the bases decoration, and start painting tommorow morning  :P

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Re: My first "SuperPaint" attempt : marvel heroes and villains
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
Great work so far! I'll enjoy watching this.

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
Just out of interest, which method did you use to strip them ,a s it seems to have been very successful....
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »
I tried most of the classic technics for plastic figures with no success (and no patience, to be honest), and finally used some acetone. I know, it's a technic for metal figures, but it worked pretty well on my heroclix figures, except for a few ones which "peeled".

I used an old toothbrush and rubbed the figure with acetone. I also made quick (a few minutes) baths of acetone, but it's a dangerous technic, since some figs seems to react diferently than other ones.

The technic seems to soften the figures too. But it seems to become harder again after a day or two (I don't have long term feedback since I stripped off the paint yesterday and this afternoon, I never did that before).

Anway, I will not be responsible if you ruin your figures using that hardcore technic. :-X :D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
I started the bases on a few figures (the ones with round "stands"). The goal is to make a bit of street sidewalk, to hide the figures round "stands", and level the minis, and give some urban look to the overall figure. Since every figure is an individual character, I'll try to make some nice bases for them.

I'll do diferent sorts of urban scenery on the bases : sidewalk, street, rubble, etc... To fit each figure case. For example, for the flying figures, I'll probably make some rubble scenery...Simply to add some strenght on the pin used to make the figure fly.

Here's a little pic. I used some cardboard (with superglue as an hardener) to save some green stuff (I'll use some GS only for last details).  The goal is to level the figure

Tommorow I'll sand them off a little bit, and add sculpted details. Then, I'll add some texture.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:34:09 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 01:53:01 PM »
Bases are finished for the first 6 miniatures :

Now I'll do the other figs' bases, and I'll finish with some texture on them.

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
Those bases look awesome, great work.

I just use the Heroclix flying stands for my customs and re-based Heroclix. I like them because they have that slide on the side, and I can put the slide up to mark the figure as flying and put the slide down to mark the figure as grounded.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »
Yes, you're right :  I didn't noticed that flying needed some markers in S2. In the last heroclix rules, flying marker (grounded or flying) became useless, so I didn't think about that possibility I think I'll modify my figures, because the less markers on the table, the simplier game (in my opinion).  I've got plenty of those flying bases stands.

Thanks for your idea  ;)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
All the figures' bases are done. Some are just flat road bed (with some extra details), some have corners or straight sidewalks, other ones will have some rubble on them.

these figures have nothing specialy cool, so no "super base treatment",  but they will be good thugs for special scenarios, or henchmen :

I also modified the flying characters, recycling old heroclix clear stands. Not as good looking (in my opinion) as fine pins, but more sturdy and gaming eficient.

I also added a little one  :D  :

Now I have to add some texture on the bases. And tonight, or tommorow morning, I'll be able to start painting (at least).  Once it will be done, I will have a few DC and marvel figures wich worths recycling (about half dozen), then I'll be able to start my own heroes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:06:47 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
The bases are finished. Now...I just have to let them dry. Can't wait to start painting  ;D

I first applied a coat of pva glue + plaster to make the main overall texture. It give the feeling that the base is from one piece only, and also add a very fine texture, reproducing concrete quite well.

Then I used some fine sand and cat gravel (don't know the name in english). Once it will be dry, I'll remove the excess sand and gravel, and put a coat of primer on it.

Tonight I'll probably finish my dice set (see the other topic)  ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:50:24 PM by sundayhero »

Offline jdeleonardis

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
Can't wait to start painting  ;D

I cant wait to see them painted!
Check out my blog The Raptor's Nest

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »
The figures are ready to be painted  :D

I'll start with Spiderman, Captain america and Daredevil, since they share same basic colors. The goal is to keep good speed in painting process (can't wait to play!), so the painting level will be (I hope) decent tabletop painting quality. I'll try to keep that bright painting schemes we can see in classic comics books. I will not use metallic paints, no stain or whatever,  and I'll use some black lining to keep that comics feeling.

To be continued, probably tonight ;)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
Really nice!

looking for the first paintings =)

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
Great project you've started.

The bases you've created are really nice.

I'm surprised how good some those figures look when stripped of their paint.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »
Thanks !

I'm surprised how good some those figures look when stripped of their paint.

Even if I love the diferent metal super heroes ranges, in France it's a lot cheaper to make the choice of recycling heroclix figures, since you can still find in a lot of local hobby shops, in boosters or singles, and they are good bases for repaint or customs.

Availability and price are the keys for my choice.

I progressed quite well on the painting, I almost finished Daredevil (easy one), spiderman red parts are done too, and captain american's got almost all his basic paint coats.

Pictures soon ;)