Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689225
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: To much late night reading!  (Read 3905 times)

Offline redshadows

• Scientist
To much late night reading!
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »
Hi Everyone  :)

Started this last night, its  someone who has been reading to many forbidden Books late at night  :)

Still got stuff to do,,

What do you think so far?

Sorry about the poor photos

Thanks
George
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:39:45 PM by redshadows »
Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Re: Wilbur Whateley or To much late night reading!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:04:39 PM »
Looks promisiing, we need a Wilbur!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
I'm sorry, it's a nice enough sculpt for a mutant chaos cultist or something, but it doesn't look at all like Wilbur - the tentacle hand alone blows the whole concept.  He's one of the most clearly-described Mythos critters, and his details make for a difficult sculpt (RAFM's made the best attempt I've seen, and it's not good) and a horrid paint scheme.  Straight from the text, in his last scene:

"The thing that lay half-bent on its side in a foetid pool of greenish-yellow ichor and tarry stickiness was almost nine feet tall, and the dog had torn off all the clothing and some of the skin. It was not quite dead, but twitched silently and spasmodically while its chest heaved in monstrous unison with the mad piping of the expectant whippoorwills outside. Bits of shoe-leather and fragments of apparel were scattered about the room, and just inside the window an empty canvas sack lay where it had evidently been thrown. Near the central desk a revolver had fallen, a dented but undischarged cartridge later explaining why it had not been fired. The thing itself, however, crowded out all other images at the time. It would be trite and not wholly accurate to say that no human pen could describe it, but one may properly say that it could not be vividly visualized by anyone whose ideas of aspect and contour are too closely bound up with the common life-forms of this planet and of the three known dimensions. It was partly human, beyond a doubt, with very manlike hands and head, and the goatish, chinless face had the stamp of the Whateley's upon it. But the torso and lower parts of the body were teratologically fabulous, so that only generous clothing could ever have enabled it to walk on earth unchallenged or uneradicated.

Above the waist it was semi-anthropomorphic; though its chest, where the dog's rending paws still rested watchfully, had the leathery, reticulated hide of a crocodile or alligator. The back was piebald with yellow and black, and dimly suggested the squamous covering of certain snakes. Below the waist, though, it was the worst; for here all human resemblance left off and sheer phantasy began. The skin was thickly covered with coarse black fur, and from the abdomen a score of long greenish-grey tentacles with red sucking mouths protruded limply.

Their arrangement was odd, and seemed to follow the symmetries of some cosmic geometry unknown to earth or the solar system. On each of the hips, deep set in a kind of pinkish, ciliated orbit, was what seemed to be a rudimentary eye; whilst in lieu of a tail there depended a kind of trunk or feeler with purple annular markings, and with many evidences of being an undeveloped mouth or throat. The limbs, save for their black fur, roughly resembled the hind legs of prehistoric earth's giant saurians, and terminated in ridgy-veined pads that were neither hooves nor claws. When the thing breathed, its tail and tentacles rhythmically changed colour, as if from some circulatory cause normal to the non-human greenish tinge, whilst in the tail it was manifest as a yellowish appearance which alternated with a sickly grayish-white in the spaces between the purple rings. Of genuine blood there was none; only the foetid greenish-yellow ichor which trickled along the painted floor beyond the radius of the stickiness, and left a curious discoloration behind it."

Sculpt that mess convincingly and I'll be really impressed.

Offline redshadows

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
I'm sorry, it's a nice enough sculpt for a mutant chaos cultist or something, but it doesn't look at all like Wilbur - the tentacle hand alone blows the whole concept.  He's one of the most clearly-described Mythos critters, and his details make for a difficult sculpt (RAFM's made the best attempt I've seen, and it's not good) and a horrid paint scheme.   

No Problem,  its been along time since I read the story. I'll remove the wilber whately name  ;)

Would it be OK as a Mythos hybrid of some sort?

After Looking at it again, the sculpt seems pretty poor in these photo's  :?

Thanks
George

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
I really like the sculpt. Could be a cousin of the Whateley's.

I need to read some Lovecraft now :P

It's been too long, and 'tis the season.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »
I like it.
It may not be Wilbur, but very good start on something I would not want to meet in the dark.
Or for that matter at any time. :o
Look forward to see it finished.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »
Right, I know at least two Wilbur minis out there.

The one in RAFM's Dunwich set is obviously a kind of classic. However, he's sculpted to that modest 80s scale, and possibly to reflect the "six and three-quarters feet" height (or less) when he was about 11 and Old Whateley was still alive. Consequently, he's no taller than modern 28mm investigators. He doesn't make a menacing "almost nine feet tall" monster of those last days. Besides, the model suffers from technical limitations and wear of that range. The description quoted above is indeed a mess, and cramming it all to a smallish mini didn't work out too well. When I tried to paint him to canonical colours, I ended up painting purple annular markings to a yellowish trunk, which actually had some sort of stripey patterns (and mould lines) and so on. It took ages, yet the outcome doesn't really reflect all that time spent.

The other option is Mabus' (?) FU_UK entry. Much bulkier, better detailed, better cast. Maybe I should have bought one, but after that awfully long and painful session with the RAFM mini, the last thing I wanted was another Wilbur on my painting table or even lead pile.

So, it's still possible to compete with those, but it takes a lot of background research and tedious fiddling with all the messy details. It's probably better to make a brand new concept and do whatever you feel like doing.

What I see in that pic is possibly more froggish than goatish. Maybe there's one route to follow...

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: To much late night reading!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
Yeah not really feeling this one I have to admit, a little too random, stick it on the back burner and start something else, a little sprue of Deepone hybrid heads perchance?

;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »
I like it. I donīt care if he is Wilbur or not, I like the miniature and I would use it!! I wouldnīt change anything. I would make changes working on cast masters.

Cheers

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 03:01:59 AM »
I rather like him, yes I'll take two! very nice keep at it

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 03:42:36 AM »

No Problem,  its been along time since I read the story. I'll remove the wilber whately name  ;)

Would it be OK as a Mythos hybrid of some sort?

After Looking at it again, the sculpt seems pretty poor in these photo's  :?

Didn't mean to be negative.  Actually, I thought it looked quite nice so far, just not like Wilbur.  Could easily be a proto-shoggoth - they can be fairly humanoid when they try, and the RAFM one certainly isn't the shapeless blob the original CoC module described:

http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RAF&Product_Code=RAF02958&Category_Code=COCM

Could also be some random awfulness from the Dreamlands, or another aspect of Nyarlathotep, or some kind of spawn of Yog-Sothoth, or just an avid reader of the wrong type of books.  Plenty of room for it in the Mythos - and the weak-chinned face does have a bit of the Whately look to it.  There were certainly other branches of the family out there.

Offline cp models

• Scientist
    • checkPoint Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 10:32:34 AM »
I think he's pretty cool so far look forward to seeing him finished

Mark

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »
Its a nice looking figure. I'm reading book for the first time so this seems very fitting with the stories i've read so far.