Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheap airbrushes  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Cheap airbrushes
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
I have never ever used an airbrush but have often contemplated one. I always consider the cost against the fact that I would only use it occasionally or that it would be a 5 minute wonder.

I would welcome your educated opinions on one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETE-AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR_W0QQitemZ140183743990QQihZ004QQcategoryZ2594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

certainly cheap but possibly a little nasty??????????
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Cheap airbrushes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:54:33 PM »
Being on my third airbrush I have this advice to give:

- while it can be used on 28mms it is more appropriate on vehicles and for weathering; I never use mine for base coating since it is much easier and probably no more expensive to use a spray can

- buy quality. If you want one fork out as much as you can afford; you generally get what you pay for (if you turn to reputable vendors)

- be prepare to spend a bit of time to master it; it is a tool not a magic wand and all the "configurables" can make it a bit confusing to use

- get all the space and tools needed; you need high pigmentation, lump free, quality paint, som sort of spray booth, lots of pots and mixing jars and large sheets of paper to calibrate and practice on

- clean properly; acrylics dry fast in a airbrush so have plenty of cleaning fluids ready

That said and as you probably know, it is a lot of fun and can give great looking results once you master some basic techniques

Edit: Oh, and about that ebay kit:  I don't see why you would need two double action spray guns: I'd say you need to keep one busy and moist throughout one paiting session. Other than that I think the guns look ok at a glance. The compressor may be on the smallish side which may lead to uneven air supply/preassue. But it may be OK for the price and for your entry level, if you understand what I mean.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Cheap airbrushes
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:37:46 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
- clean properly; acrylics dry fast in a airbrush so have plenty of cleaning fluids ready

Depending on what you are painting Vallejo makes an airbrush range that won't be as problematic as pure acrylics.

I know local painters who swear by using an airbrush for larger 28mm scale figs. I can't see painting normal human figures with it.

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
Cheap airbrushes
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:42:53 AM »
The compressor looks too small to me. I operate my airbrush at 32-36 PSI this one runs at about 30. And it has no pressure tank which means it will run constantly at full load.
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Cheap airbrushes
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek"

Depending on what you are painting Vallejo makes an airbrush range that won't be as problematic as pure acrylics.

That's what I am using. Not all shops store them so they often need to be ordered.