Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A new recruit.  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
A new recruit.
« on: December 02, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
Bit if a boring post I'm afraid. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm relatively new to VSF and my word what an exciting period it is to game. Not being one to do things by half I have two projects on the go.

Firstly 15mm. I'm creating armies and contraptions for a far eastern theatre of war with colonial powers fighting for much needed natural resources. Some of the figures will also be used for colonial land grab fisticuffs on Mars.

25/28mm. Mainly European based scenarios centred around three way scuffles between the French, Germans and Brits with all manner of contraptions, allies and corrupt diplomacy thrown into the pot.

The work that you guys have produced is an inspiration, keep it up and hopefully soon I'll contribute myself.

I'm just putting a gallery together of my work so far and will post a link as soon as I build up the courage. Looking forward to getting to know you all, some of us may already have cossed paths on TMP.

TC
Don't!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
A new recruit.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 08:33:58 PM »
Welcome! I look forward to seeing your pics.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
A new recruit.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 10:40:02 PM »
Hello. Look forward to seeing your work.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
A new recruit.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:43:36 AM »
Welcome on board. :)
 We need all the help we can get if we are going to defeat those dastardly Prussians :)
Looking forward to seeing your figures. Which manufacturers are you going to use?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
A new recruit.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 11:50:26 AM »
Welcome :)
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
A new recruit.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 12:51:46 PM »
Thanks for the welcome chaps.

I'm using a wide range of figures for both projects.

For 15mm I'm using Old Glory, Peter Pig, Black Hat, Eureka, Dixons and Regiment Games.

For 25mm I'm using Redoubt, Foundry, Renegade, West Wind, Pulp, Parroom Station, Scheltrum, Wesex Games, Eureka and 1st Corps.

Obviousy many of these figues don't mix in which case I keep them in separate units but I use the 2ft rule. When your goodies are on the tabletop they're usually 2ft away from you. If they look good from there that's me happy.  

As for contraptions the sky is the limit, anything from Poundstore to Scheltrum. I get most of my terrain from China, very cheap on E-bay.

My latest aquisition is some infantry from the 1st Corps Cape War range.
Although in 1850's uniforms they are something different and will be ideal for a ragtag unit of Kent Militia. A sort of 19th century Dads Army. They'll be a nightmare for any commander but good fun.

Here's a link to them (I went for CW03):

http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/CWpg1.htm

TC

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
A new recruit.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 02:49:23 PM »
Welcome. Those are some nice looking figures.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
A new recruit.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum Thunderchicken. There is a growing interest in European theatre / Home Service VSF here at the moment, so it looks like you joined at just the right time.

As Malamute said, we need all the reinforcements we can get to help repel the Hun invader.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
A new recruit.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »
Quote from: "Thunderchicken"

For 25mm I'm using Redoubt, Foundry, Renegade, West Wind, Pulp, Parroom Station, Scheltrum, Wesex Games, Eureka and 1st Corps.

Obviousy many of these figues don't mix in which case I keep them in separate units but I use the 2ft rule. When your goodies are on the tabletop they're usually 2ft away from you. If they look good from there that's me happy.  

TC

Our club did a Sudan game at Triples a couple of years ago, using the Afriboria rules. As we all chipped in with figures, many of the manufacturers you mentioned appeared. My own contribution consisted of units of Perry & Redoubt Fuzzies, along with some Cannon Fodder Miniatures enslaved Egyptian gun crews. these were all separated as you mention, but were in the same "command" and were placed in close proximity to one another.

Not one adverse comment about the difference in sizes  :o  :lol:

I think it matters more in photos, than from the normal gaming perspective.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
A new recruit.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »
As Malamute said, we need all the reinforcements we can get to help repel the Hun invader.

Fear not, I'm begining to mobilise forces in Shropshire as we speak. Just hoping the good reverend's charabanc will get us to the front in a timely manner.