Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:49:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690602
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hiller not quite VZ-1 Flying Platform  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Hiller not quite VZ-1 Flying Platform
« on: December 02, 2007, 05:35:33 PM »
Ummm, why buy it, that contraption can be easily scratchbuilt, I dare say. A slightly larger version could have a computer power supply fan as it's main body.

That's me putting my foot in it and getting ensnared in a new project. Ah well.
This here will be a bloggish sort of thing recording progress (or lack of)  on this project. I will not build an exact copy of the Hiller VZ-1, as I don't quite have the time to make a scale reproduction of it. But I'll try to make a model which captures the spirit of the machine. I'll set in in WWII, for my WWWII US forces (bringing them up to 3-strong, oh wow....).

The major problem I'm seeing at the moment is a distinct lack of pilot, but that's because I'm not reviewing the stuff I have in store. Some rash volunteer (hopefully not an Orc) will crop up.
The computer power supply fan would work well, and would provide the fan as well. But I ran out of these beasties; must find a scrap one from work - or propose alternatives.

If this moves slow, please forgive my lack of dedication - I have to complete my PhD write-up until the 31st of this month, and this (and the wife and cats, of course) will have to take priority.

Well, wish me luck, here goes.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:55:37 PM »
And here we go - the hunt for bits, first:

Nice little pile of stuff. I postponed the pilot search, and am not looking for detail bits, just the body and the engine bits. So, here we have contact lens cases (left), bits of a light bulb fitting (bottom), WWII 1/72 scale props and a B-24 nacelle (top right), clicky figure bases (right) and part of a plastic cooking oil bottle top (centre). Oh dear, nothing too promising, so far.I will not, of course, be using all of these.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »
Progress at last.
Here's one of the clicky bases, glued to one of the light fitting bits. The pilot would stand on this.

And here's another bit I dug up - no idea where this had come from, but it looks a lot like a bit of turbofan, and will do as the impeller for the newly-named Hilyear O-1 Floater. It won't be seen as it's on the underside, but I feel better knowing it's there. The body of this beastie is larger than the Hiller as it's engine is bulkier.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »
The monologue continues:
I've added some details to the platform:

Big round of applause for Mr. Sandokan (Foundry, Indian Mutiny range) for kindly providing scale.

The 'tub' looks ceramic in this pic, and wouldn't be out of place in a Victorian bathroom (or sanatorium). but it's plastic. The support legs are plaststruct-type stock material. The control joystick comes from a tank accessory sprue, and the handle on one side from a GW tank model. The metal grilles are from an unidentified mecha-type miniature, a Hunter something or other.
Next in line: more detail, and then it's undercoat hour.

EDIT: hmmm, looks like a step ladder would be a useful accessory....

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
It's really starting to take shape now.  Looking good.

Are you going to add some railings to stop the passenger falling off?
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com