Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:59:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10 things I learned from reading Solomon Kane  (Read 9522 times)

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
10 things I learned from reading Solomon Kane
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 02:21:50 PM »
You can also read the short stories of REH featuring Agnes de Chastillon, a french swordwoman.

http://www.violetbooks.com/swordwoman.html

I definitively thought about Agnes when I first saw the Brigade Games swashbucklers  minis!

Olivier

Offline bolislaw

• Student
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 04:16:19 PM »
Thanks!! I will hit the bookstore while shopping tonight.

My favorite mini run of SK in Marvel was when he went to Africa and dealt with the vampires and got his staff. I really liked how it questioned his religious morality. (I may be mixed up on the story though, it was soooo long ago)

You are right though, I don't recall there being any "racial" things, only the mention of savages and such, but not in a bad contaxt.
Terms of surrender will neither be granted or accepted...

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
The story of Solomon's staff is in the book, and it heralds one of the most tedious passages on race relations. Which is a shame, because it's right at the end of the most Lovecraftian story. Or maybe that's entirely appropriate?

Howard was not above stooping to the "noble savage" school of thought when it served his purposes. Consistency is not a strong point of Howard's writing.

Offline Mephysto

• Assistant
  • Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 05:13:36 AM »
Finished it yesterday (finally... never got time to read more than a handful of pages at once), and I really liked it. Very nice book there, but my favourites still are "The Blue Flame Of Vengeance" (hey, it has the archetypical Romeo-and-Juliet-phenomenon, it has duels and swordfights a-many, it has this wonderful picture of Kane coming down these stairs into the cellar, and it has pirates - what can you want more? :wink:) and "Wings In The Night" (I just loved to see Kane despair and then his cold, absolutely fascinatingly written revenge). :mrgreen:

But back to the revelations this book makes about nature, physics, God and all the rest in between.

15) Armour is bad for your eyes.

16) R.E. Howard does not like lions. At all. No lion gets more than one paragraph and some form of metal into some form of vital organ.

17 a) The killing potential of birds and the likes is enormous.

17 b) The killing potential of birds and the likes is enormous only as long as you don't cut them to pieces, shoot them with pistols or burn them alive.

18 ) Speaking of it, the practice of cutting someone or something to pieces, shooting it with pistols and burning it alive is always the best thing to try first when encountering somebody. If it does not help, go for the neck.

19) If some tribesmen offer you the chance to become their God - decline. Bad Karma.

20) "When a man sets foot on an adder, he asks not its size."

:wink:
Significant.

Offline bolislaw

• Student
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 02:36:19 PM »
Well, thanks guys....
I picked up "The savage tales of Solomon Kane" at Barne's and Noble's on sat... and am already halfway through. I put down the WW1 book I was reading to relive some of my childhood.

I am happier for it!!!
thxs again!!!
Dan

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 04:35:29 AM »
Quote from: "SgtPerry"

Is there an existing figures of Kane in 28mm ?

Olivier

The closest thing that I have seen to a Solomon Kane figure is a figure from Reaper.  Sorry I don't know how to cross post the exact link to the image, but you can take a look by using Reaper's figure finder, putting in human adult male fighter cleric with sword in right hand and hammer in left hand with the sculptor's name, Bob Ridolfi.  Except for the image, the written bits are as follows, beginning with Reaper's SKU number:

02861: Abram Duskwalker, Witch Hunter
Misc Detail: Pilgrim Hat
   by Bob Ridolfi    Human    M    Adult    Fighter Cleric         R:Hammer
L:Sword

Funny that I couldn't find a way to search for the figure's name, "Abram Duskwalker," since I knew the name of the figure and had spotted it at a local gamestore.  I didn't spot any other Reaper figures with pilgrim hats, and I failed to spot any crawling through Old Glory's vampire wars lines of figures either.  The Abram Duskwalker looks pretty good, as do most of those figures from Reaper.  It probably costs $4 or $4.50 US.  It could likely be modified, as I'm not sure the hammer really fits when you probably want a pistol for Kane.

Anyway, hope this helps...

Warren B.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 09:40:25 AM »
If looking for a figure (I´m only judging from the illustration on page one, never heard of the books before this tread cropped up), why not take a look at this "Griffon Inquisitor" from the Confrontation Range manufactured by Rackham:

A classic figure, which I own as well.

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 12:23:35 PM »
A few pictures for an upcoming  RPG:

http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/Art%20Preview.pdf

Offline The Shadow

• Student
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 06:15:23 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Quote from: "bolislaw"

I didn't know there were SK books?

. An omnibus edition was written a few years ago. You can find it on Amazon or any big bookseller for around $10.

I'm not sure which edition you have, but there's one SK story that doesn't involve the supernatural at all!  It's "The Blue Flame of Vengeance".  This story wasn't originally published in "Weird Tales" like the other SK stories.  If I remember correctly the character was named "Malachi Grim" and the story wasn't published anywhere before an author, who's name I've forgotten, changed the plot a bit to make it supernatural and to fit SK, so he changed the name of the character to SK and published it back in the 1960's or '70's.

Anyway, it's a very good adventure story with a pirate theme and if you haven't read it, it's worth finding.