Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:02:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 641
Total: 647

Recent

Author Topic: Middle East buildings  (Read 9711 times)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Middle East buildings
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
I started posting these on my Ambush Alley thread but that will soon be taken up with me wittering on about painting the miniatures and playing the game so I thought I'd start a fresh thread here for those that may be interested in a modern Middle East setting for other things.

My latest buildings:

Vehicle repair shop:

Apartment complex:

Street (slum) section:

Figures are 28mm Modern British from The Assault Group. All my own work, details and instructions here:
http://www.matakishi.com/makingdesertbuildings.htm

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Middle East buildings
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »
They look really good all together like that. I am impressed. I think I'll have to get my finger out and start building. I've only had the "how to" pdf off your site for 12 months... :roll:

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
Middle East buildings
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
nice, but waaaay too tidy!
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Middle East buildings
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 04:04:32 PM »
Quote from: "knoxville"

In what way?

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
Middle East buildings
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:07:02 PM »
Quote from: "matakishi"
Quote from: "knoxville"

In what way?

From personal experience in Egypt and Jordan, modern Middle Eastern buildings look like they've never been finished, they're all made of concrete (sometimes crudely), they have a "sweaty lived-in"* look, and they are rarely painted (unless you're in a nice middle class area) and left bare concrete. And the streets are worse: either open sewers, or concrete pavements that have been stained black from bins leaking on them and drying (just like you'd find behind a restaurant or something in the West End).

* its the best I could come up - or "a lived in patina"

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Middle East buildings
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »
I think they're very cool. And since they're cork, you could even change or add signs on them to have them be everything from ME apartments to the tenements of neo-Tokyo.

Wish we had cork tile here in the states.  :?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Middle East buildings
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 07:46:52 PM »
All the experience I have with these kinds of buildings is that they are dusty and the dust is the same as the ground colour, so, I paint these buildings ground coloured!
I used the exact same colours as my base boards so that they'd look part of the landscape. The first ones were all the same concrete colour but I couldn't stand to have them all identical so I varied it.
I don't intend to paint them 'ground colour A' and then dry-brush them 'ground colour B' so that they end up looking like 'ground colour C'. I'll just paint them 'ground colour C' to begin with.
I notice that doors are often painted brightly but I don't do doors so that's not an option  :)
I'm not doing streets either so the stains will have to be imagined.

I did consider putting in rubbish piles and bins etc but ultimately these things just get in the way of placing figures so I have to adjust the footprint of the buildings and make them larger which adds to their unweildiness and means I have fewer on the table without adding anything to the game so I left all that stuff out. They are. after all, just boxes to play games with and each one has to be able to hold two stands of figures (50mm x 50mm squares or 60mm circles) plus several command figures and sundry extras whilst only measuring 130mm x 80mm themselves.

I could make super detailed buildings and have done in the past but they're too fragile to game with without lots of repairing and, to strengthen them enough, they really need to be one piece items which essentially makes them blocks that just take up room. If I want that I'll use a rock which is cheaper and faster to produce  :)

I'm aware that my approach isn't for everyone and don't expect it to be, but it's what I want for the games I play and hasn't been arrived at by accident. On the contrary, I take a lot of time to plan what I want a building to do before I begin to make it.

Usually I'm happy to discuss my reasons for doing something a particular way and to hear alternative views on how to achieve what I'm after. If I can help someone else achieve the result they're after that's good too. What I do object to is 'drive-by' comments that offer an unsubstantiated opinion is a snotty, know-it-all way. If I wanted that I'd go to TMP  :lol:

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Middle East buildings
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 07:48:50 PM »
Pete,
They are intended to serve many purposes (which is another reason I've kept them rather 'vague').

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Middle East buildings
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »
8) I like them. You are so productive, do you not sleep? :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Middle East buildings
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 09:40:21 AM »
I don't know about the middle east, but that little townscape is a dead ringer for the place I sometimes go on holiday in Fuerteventura in The Canaries. And that's off the coast of Africa, so broadly 'in theatre'...  :wink:

I'm telling you, it's the absolute spit of it - you must have been there!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Middle East buildings
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 09:50:14 AM »
That'd be a wargaming scenario: rowdy English tourists vs. the Guardia Civil in Matakashi's Fuerteventura scenery.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Middle East buildings
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »
nice ,it look like the buildings in my last hollyday in Turkey
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Middle East buildings
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »
Top stuff as always Paul.  :) It must be a pretty impressiv looking table when you all the pieces set up. What size table are you planning this for?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Middle East buildings
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:55:25 AM »
Wandering around the net I stumbled upon this page of Arab film posters:

http://www.library.yale.edu/neareast/poster.html

They could easily be printed off and used to add a bit of colour to any Middle East building complex. Of course, to keep your buildings usable in many contexts, you might want to fix the posters to plasticard or something, and then fix that to the buildings in a non-permanent way, such as with blu-tac or something.

Or one could make some free-standing advertisement hoardings.

I'm sure it would be quite easy to find lots of other stuff like this on the net.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Middle East buildings
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »
Nick 4ft square for most games. Some, like Crossfire, will be on 6 x 4 but the built up area will still only be 4 x 4 of the total.

Polynikes I said time and again that I wasn't going to add posters (just a second ago on the TAG forum as a matter of fact) but, damn you, those are too good not to use  :x Curses!

I'll stick them on I think, anachronistic or not, I don't really care  :lol: