Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Converting Hex Grids into Standard Table/App - Samurai Set  (Read 1369 times)

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
Converting Hex Grids into Standard Table/App - Samurai Set
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:32:26 AM »
Here is a pretty cool set of free rules I've found for Samurai skirmish game:

http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/KTY.pdf - Katana To Yari

The only problem it is a hex grid system, is there any stream lined way of making a conversation to using a measuring stick/tape measurer? I am just not going to make a board based around a hex grid for the sole purpose of one game, and would prefer/insist basing my miniatures on 25mm round bases regardless. 

If anyone would look over the rule set (really just the diagrams) and see if any brainstorming will yield a result I'd appreciate it. If not any recommendations on a skirmish level samurai ruleset? I've read through more than a dozen so far, and have not found the perfect one. Indy based miniatures, multiple troop type and weapon type repped, and most importantly a dynamic combat system. Honor or class system for castes a bonus, but not necessary. I just don't know where to start on this. I need to find the perfect set of rules (on reading and not yet application yet) to really inspire a project of any magnitude.

A preemptive thanks

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Converting Hex Grids into Standard Table/App - Samurai Set
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:07:54 AM »
Unfortunately no ideas to help here. Detailed combat systems usually require grids/hexes of some kind because movement and position must play a part.

I have started (but still not completed  :'() a gladiator arena that also requires hexes, in a similar vein.

The task of marking out hexes was not as bad as I thought. You can see my steps here http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/2010/09/wip-arena-part-3.html

But if you would require an entire board,THAT would be a LOT of hexes!  :o

The rules at a glance look well thought out, but I think you need to decide first if you want a realistic combat system or something simpler like LoTOW, which by the way someone has already made a samurai conversion for.

Good luck.

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Converting Hex Grids into Standard Table/App - Samurai Set
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
Send me an email and I'll send you bushi no yume my samurai set based on Flying Lead.
Rich J