Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:14:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm dark age minis for fantasy skirmish games.  (Read 3725 times)

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
28mm dark age minis for fantasy skirmish games.
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
Ive been painting up alot of red box games, GW lotr, and otherworld minis lately. Now im looking for something to represent generic human warriors. Im mainly using lotr sbg and ganesha rules. I was thinking about picking up a bunch of Crusader Normans for this. How well would they scale to the stuff i already have? I figure i could count them as warriors of minas tirith and also get a army for SAGA out of it.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
Re: 28mm dark age minis for fantasy skirmish games.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:50:25 PM »
Crusader are very chunky and although I ain't generally too fussy about mixing different manufacturers I don't think they'd work very well with the much more slender (read: more realistically proportioned) build of the ranges you mentioned.  However, do not despair as Perry Miniatures' First Crusades range will scale in perfectly and are absolutely lovely minis to boot. 

Whatever you decide on best of luck and please post up some pics if possible!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
I don't know crusader very well, but I'd guess Gripping Beast will fit nicely (or at least the older ones I have would).
Duncan

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 11:39:53 PM »
Crusader are very chunky and although I ain't generally too fussy about mixing different manufacturers I don't think they'd work very well with the much more slender (read: more realistically proportioned) build of the ranges you mentioned.  However, do not despair as Perry Miniatures' First Crusades range will scale in perfectly and are absolutely lovely minis to boot. 

Whatever you decide on best of luck and please post up some pics if possible!

This, definitely!  Go with the Perry Miniatures First Crusaders, they'll fit much better.

Offline lasgunpacker

• Assistant
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 12:24:39 AM »
If you are curious to see how the Perry figures look with others, I have a comparison here: http://lasgunpacker.blogspot.com/2011/11/perry-miniatures-review.html

I think they look great, and should go well with the LotR figures (also Perry sculpted).  The RBG figures are also great, but judging from the sample I have they are slightly "thinner" and taller than the Perry figures.

This post has another shot of the Perry figure with RBG, Ebob, and Reaper.
http://lasgunpacker.blogspot.com/2011/11/reaper-miniatures.html

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 12:39:10 AM »
Ive always liked the perry crusaders but then ill have problems when I go to get viking/saxon to play against in SAGA. Maybe ill just have to wait till conquest come out with infantry. There knights match lotr perfectly but I really didnt want any plastic minis

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:41:30 AM »
yes for Perry- I use the pilgrims as civilains in my gondor army-perfect match (as the gondor stuff was sculpted by the perrys any way, as far as I know)

Saga also includes rules for Normans, so you can use the first crusade stuff for Normans without too much trouble.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:43:56 AM by Rob_bresnen »
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/