Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:58:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690331
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Top Ten Halflings of All Time!!!???  (Read 10494 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: The Top Ten Halflings of All Time!!!???
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
There is a great overview of halfling manufacturers from the Colonel Marbles Miniatures Masterworks site:

http://doc.frothersunite.com/minis/halflings.html

And - after checking my collection of halflings I reckon that I don't have the Copplestone Castings halflings but those Mark Copplestone did a long time ago for Grenadier. But both ranges have so many similarities that it's quite clear that Mark resculpted his Grenadier sculpts for the second batch of his own miniatures; for example:

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »
Quite a nice list. But the very best halflings ever imho were the now oop copplestone ones:

They are great aren't they and almost impossible to get hold of!!! I have to settle for the alt versions.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »
Quite a nice list. But the very best halflings ever imho were the now oop copplestone ones:

Oh My!  Oh My!  Awesome!  Wow.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline clam

• Scientist
    • Clamshells and Sea Horses
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
You have most my favorites there and the unreleased peg leg-hafling is probably my all time favorite. Close followed by C11s and Andy's (Heresy)

But I also do have a soft spot for some of Battle Forge ones. Slightly comical and a bit rough, so you have to like that kind of sculpting - and then it helps having Mark (artwho9) painting them, of course.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »
The ogre slayer is great, but on that list I'm missing two of my favorites, Slackjack (a.k.a Hafling with broom) and Lord Titch
http://www.solegends.com/citjour86a/cj86ap26c11halflings-01.htm

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
They are great aren't they and almost impossible to get hold of!!! I have to settle for the alt versions.

I just bought the pack of all infantry (CF1) Copplestone Halflings on ebay for less than $5.00 including shipping, and a week later bought the Grenadier #1439 Halflings for about $8.00 including shipping.  Both still in original blisters, they are out there to be found, you just have to be patient.

Ryan

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 12:02:58 AM »
I just bought the pack of all infantry (CF1) Copplestone Halflings on ebay for less than $5.00 including shipping, and a week later bought the Grenadier #1439 Halflings for about $8.00 including shipping.  Both still in original blisters, they are out there to be found, you just have to be patient.

Ryan

Damn I search e-bay of a weekly basis for all it's halfling goodness......how did that great find slip throught the cracks?

*shakes fist in air*

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 03:21:25 AM »
Hi everyone,
 I havn`t been on this site for some months but had to cime in on this topic. I think the best halflings are from Grenadier, specifically their boxed set:

and here are some close ups

I wish I had this box. I`ll be posting some cool Grenadier minis by next week, can`t wait to join in on all the fun again.

I really miss this forum,
Damien

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 05:38:45 AM »
I've still got some of those Grenadier halflings -- some of the earliest figures I painted!

Reaper has a few nice halflings. My painting doesn't do this little guy justice, but I think it's one of my favorites:

Good to see some painted pics of those Goblin Factory figures. I had emailed the owner, trying to order some, but replies just stopped & I never got a chance to get any.

I'm now thinking about some of these...

http://www.warploqueminiatures.co.uk/catalog/halflings-hobbleshire

edit: also, a little plug for the list on my blog, I've been trying to compile a list of manufacturers in several categories, one of which is a complete list of hobbit/halfling sources: http://zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/p/28mm-figure-manufacturers.html

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:40:37 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 06:53:56 AM »
I have alot of those Reaper halflings too and some are fantastic.Unfortunately they do not scale up to well style and size wise with most other standard halfling manufacturers.

Warpy's halflings look great don't they.

Offline clam

• Scientist
    • Clamshells and Sea Horses
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
Warpy's stuff does look good, indeed. Learning fast, he is. What the young man now needs to learn is, that quality sculpts needs to be cast in a quality material aka white metal/pewter :P but who can blame "the boy", brought up in a plastic world :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
Good to see some painted pics of those Goblin Factory figures. I had emailed the owner, trying to order some, but replies just stopped & I never got a chance to get any.

Hello,

I'll let Don know of this reply. I've only been in contact with him this last day.

More halflings will be released next year.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
I've held on to two citadel halflings for year: one is running with a twohanded cleaver over his head and the other is Frodo with the ring in the palm of his hand, I can't find either on sol...

I always now have a few others I like: Lord Titch and the Ratcatcher amongst others

I also like Rotundo

Oh My!  Oh My!  Awesome!  Wow.

Gracias,

Glenn
Any chance of a recast?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:04:42 PM by thebinmann »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
I'll let Don know of this reply. I've only been in contact with him this last day.

I don't know that it's super urgent at this moment. I've already just shot my gaming budget until after the end of the year (and probably beyond) on WWI planes (and a few accessories that I need to finish.)

Still, I'd like to see some in person at some point, they look like a good option for building rank & file units of hobbitry.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
The ogre slayer is great, but on that list I'm missing two of my favorites, Slackjack (a.k.a Hafling with broom) and Lord Titch
http://www.solegends.com/citjour86a/cj86ap26c11halflings-01.htm

And there's hacker too, he just screams "STAY AWAY FROM MY PIE!!!"