Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690799
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: State of Mongoose:Judge Dredd  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
State of Mongoose:Judge Dredd
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
 From the Mongoose Forum:

we have sneaked some Sov spies into his workshop and have seen work in progress on a new Street Judge with multiple weapon choices (including the Lawrod and Stub Gun), Mega-City One attachments for Mantic’s plastic zombie range (meaning the Zombie Mistress will at last have her minions!) and, must waited of all, the new Lawmaster (which will eventually come with a range of add-ons and riders, allowing you to make, say, a Med-Div or Tek-Div bike).

We also have the Manta Prowl Tank waiting in the wings but, like the Noble Armada range, it has suffered from the rapid prototyping service being completely clogged up with Star Fleet ships! However, it is next in line with the Noble Armada ships, so expect to see a very impressive model within the next couple of months or so.

Beyond that, we will be waiting to see what Mr Hoyle comes up with throughout 2012 and, if the Manta is well received, we are likely to divert some of the time Sandrine’s trainee works with us to come up with more vehicles for Mega-City One. This, in turn, will no doubt prompt us to polish off the ‘road rash’ rules for taking the fight of the streets onto the Megways of the city, and probably the ‘mass’ Block Wars rules too!
 ;D :o :-*

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Re: State of Mongoose:Judge Dredd
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »
sounds good  ;)

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »
... and I would like a pony and a trip to Europe. Thanks, Santa!
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:25:20 AM »

Awe-some  :D

Thats all very positive isnt it?  With the Dredd game and line being pretty niche I was afraid that this post would be bad news, like the discontinuation of the line or similar.

I plan to pick up a Manta at Salute.  Resin MC1 vehicles sound fantastic if they work out.

Great news overall :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
To paraphrase...  "Show me the miniatures!"

To paraphrase again... "Many slip between the projection and the sale!"

Gracias,

Glenn

who has a memory and sold more than a  few miniatures from lines that no longer exist.

Or never bought them because they never were marketed.  (Vapor miniatures?)
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »
To paraphrase...  "Show me the miniatures!"

To paraphrase again... "Many slip between the projection and the sale!"

Mongooses track record is patchy of course, but their recent handling of the Judge Dredd Miniatures Game and its corresponding range has been good.

Plus I feel Xmas-y today, so I plan to remain positive :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »

Mongooses track record is patchy of course, but their recent handling of the Judge Dredd Miniatures Game and its corresponding range has been good.

Plus I feel Xmas-y today, so I plan to remain positive :)

My comment was only partially related to Mongoose's past record - since I quit looking at their stuff I have no idea if they are truly reformed or not - but mostly on the fact that many hobby announcements have suffered from delays, often outside their control; cancellations (or just not produced too many 1970s/1980s examples) of products; or reduced product lines from original projections.  Classic Miniatures is suffering from a mold maker issue that has cost that small company months of time between expected delivery and (as of this week) no molds.  Business, especially this business isn't for the weak.

We gripe about why don't we have "X" and we complain when people talk about what they intend to produce that isn't in our timeline/exact TO&E compliant dreams.  Then there are the lines produced with great hurrah that gamers don't actually buy.  Cuts both ways.

Gracias,

Glenn

who has no interest in this genre but wishes Mongoose/and the potential players well

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
I'm also rather skeptic in regards to miniatures that are "in production" and promised to be "out soon".

In the specific case of Mongoose, firstly I have to say that I don't personally hate Matt Sprange for pissing in my morning cereal or whatever.

With that caveat out of the way, their performance has been patchy in the past and in regards to JD minis, they have mostly been reissuing the old stuff so far.

It would be a very positive sign if they could get the Manta out because it would show serious commitment to expanding their JD game family. The way I see it is it's a huge and therefore comparatively expensive model that is borderline useless other than as an objective or a prop under the current gang fight style JD rules. That being said, it would be extremely useful as, say, a drop ship for some other game.

It is interesting to note they are thinking of some kind of joint effort with Mantic in regards to zombies. Or possibly they are just going to make their conversion bitz fit "quite by accident", just like several smalltime manufacturers of not-Warhammer 40.000 figs are doing.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:13:20 PM by tnjrp »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 03:29:13 PM »
With that caveat out of the way, their performance has been patchy in the past and in regards to JD minis, they have mostly been reissuing the old stuff so far.

The major exception being the ACTA: Noble Armada range, which has had a lot of completely new minis alongside the Holistic-era re-releases.  They haven't all been great sculpts, but there have been some real prizes.

As far as the Manta prowl tank being useless for gang fights, arguably true, but is it maybe an indicator that they're planning an Apocalypse War expansion for the game, allowing for more traditional (and larger) military fights?  You have to wonder.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
With Shane Hoyle on Facebook I was able to see the minis as they were produced this year and they were quite rapid if honest

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
I'm just happy to hear we may be getting Lawmasters back. I have one and that's it. The idea of having more then one, and even having options for it, is great news. I'm a guy who uses his miniatures for roleplaying games. I'd like to have one lawmaster for each player character. That hasn't been possible so far. This news is very good to me. 

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 12:33:58 AM »
I was put off picking up Judges due to the lack of bikes, when they appear I'll take another proper look at the game.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 06:57:23 AM »
The major exception being the ACTA: Noble Armada range, which has had a lot of completely new minis alongside the Holistic-era re-releases
Sorry if I was being unclear, I was talking specifically about Judge Dredd ("JD") miniatures.

As far as the Manta prowl tank being useless for gang fights, arguably true, but is it maybe an indicator that they're planning an Apocalypse War expansion for the game, allowing for more traditional (and larger) military fights?
They have dropped hints about a larger scale battle game yes, but hints and promises are just that...

Personally, I'm not sure why they forge ahead with a Manta at this stage but maybe more people do want one than I assume.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:45 AM »
Sorry if I was being unclear, I was talking specifically about Judge Dredd ("JD") miniatures.
They have dropped hints about a larger scale battle game yes, but hints and promises are just that...

Personally, I'm not sure why they forge ahead with a Manta at this stage but maybe more people do want one than I assume.

Bad business decisions (bad in retrospect, of course, they seemed good at the time to someone,) are not unique to our hobby alone.  American Auto makers in general when Toyota and Honda appeared on the scene being one example.

If it goes badly critics will, "Told you so."  If it goes well, critics will say, "they were lucky."

I just wish them well even as I assume I will never buy another of their figures (not any of my AOIs.)

Gracias,

Glenn

Oh, AOI = Area Of Interest.