Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bowing Out Of The Wars Of The Roses  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Bowing Out Of The Wars Of The Roses
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
My Wars of the Roses project has stalled of late, why? Well to be honest trying to decide which retinue and what flags or liveries was becoming a chore, so over the last two weeks I have repainted and based my retinues. Not wanting to give up on the 15th century, I have decided that Lord Rawnsley upon picking the wrong team at Bosworth as swopped the family plate for his head and with a few loyal retainers as gone to the continent to ply is trade. Not sure where he will end up, most likely candidate will be Italy as I have mediterranean building for my SCW and Carlist War stuff, not wanting to fall into the same dilemma this will be more Hollywood than history as I want to get the fun factor back.

Any further thoughts are welcome.

Here are a few pics of the revamped troops

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Bowing Out Of The Wars Of The Roses
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
Very nice. Like you, I struggle with retinue, prefer to paint generic.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »
Those Halberdiers/poleaxemen are excellent!

And since most forces really didn't have much of a uniform in those days, painting up a sizeable force all generically should be perfectly acceptable.

You could do different HQ and standards for them, to cater for different locations and forces. And with a bit of smart planning and modelling beforehand, could easily create different banners to be carried by the same standardbearer.

That way, only your Army general and possibly his knights (but you could do magnetized shields for those) could be specific...

Off to a great start at any rate; I'm really like what you have there thusfar 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Phil, and your refurbished figures look absolutely splendid.
It's true that as soon as you start painting retinue colours, you are kind of limiting yourself to what you can do with your figures - one of the reasons why I went for fictional, ahistorical livery schemes for my figures, rather than tying myself to Lancaster or York!
I do like the whole Englishness of the Wars of the Roses though, so would hesitate to decamp completely to the continent.
That said, I do now have around 40 foreign mercenaries of various descriptions  :)

To be honest, I think I'm nearing the end of my Wars of the Roses collection now.
I've got about another 20 metal figures to paint - plus the Steel Fist knights.
But mainly I'm waiting - with increasing impatience and incredulity - for the eventual arrival of the mounted knights box.
Once I've had my wicked way with a couple of boxes of those (and made a few more varied and interesting foot figures, using the new components that third box will offer) I will have round about 180 figures. Which frankly, is more than enough for the large scale skirmish type games I tend to play (not being a pitched battle kinda guy  ::))

I do greatly admire all the carts, wagons, bombards, etc etc - all fabulous period colour and great models. But I'm not making a diorama, so they're of limited use to me...

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
- I will have round about 180 figures. Which frankly, is more than enough for the large scale skirmish type games I tend to play (not being a pitched battle kinda guy  ::))
Heresy!! Heresy!!!  ;)

"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Phil, and your refurbished figures look absolutely splendid...

I do greatly admire all the carts, wagons, bombards, etc etc - all fabulous period colour and great models. But I'm not making a diorama, so they're of limited use to me...

Hear, hear Richard, but all those new wagons of wounded troops, baggage etc - how can you resist a scenario about a desperate rear guard action while the wagon train tries to escape

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »
Very nice. Like you, I struggle with retinue, prefer to paint generic.
I agree. If I follow any plan to set up a strongly historically based army the fun seems to go out of it..it feels to limiting. I like and admire the look of historically correct armies but it´s not for me....
They look great....more!!  :)
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:07 PM »
Unless something looks totally out of place I try to paint the atmosphere of a period rather then being exactly historically correct. If anything in the hobby becomes a duty or a chore then that really defeats the point which after all it is supposed to be a refuge of enjoyment and not another source of stress. You have to do what works for you and not anyone else. Good luck! :)

Christopher  

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments chaps, these together with the comments on my blog post will give me something to cogitate on in the coming weeks.

Know what you mean about the Englishness, they are feeling home sick already ;)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »

Oh dear, this is where I may be heading with them :o

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
My project is in its infancy but I toiled with historical liveries without satisfaction. I then tried the homemade route - including 'fantasy' names and titles for my key characters - and it's a lot more fun!
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
..and you did buy the Condottiere rules?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
..and you did buy the Condottiere rules?

Certainly did and the irony is I got it for ideas to pinch for my Wars of the Roses rules :?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:52 AM »
How about using them as English troops within a Burgundian Army? You'd have a connection as Duke Charles rarely won a battle either.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:36:52 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
How about using them as English troops within a Burgundian Army? You'd have a connection as Duke Charles rarely won a battle either.  ;)

lol lol lol