Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battlefield Evolution  (Read 6525 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Battlefield Evolution
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:57 AM »
Does anyone know what scale the BE-minis and vehicles are in (Mongoose)?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:59:28 PM »
1/64 :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:48:34 PM »
Should make them 28 mm then? Some interesting vehicles options for our little metal men?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »
All the vehicles are too small for metal figures.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 07:17:36 PM »
Eeeew....  :?

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:14 PM »
Depends on your preference. Many gamers tend to prefer oversized 1/48th-scale vehicles, but these are really too large to look ideal with the 28mm figures.

BFE figures are "True 28's" meaning they are 28mm from soles of the foot to the eyes on a standing figure. They tend to be realistically proportioned and do mix reasonably well with many 28mm figures. The more "heroic" 28s need not apply.

BFE's vehicles leave a lot to be desired in terms of quality. They are chunky, misproportioned, poorly painted, and really nowhere near the quality level of 1/72 prepaints from Dragon and Forces of Valor--which is what I use for my forces. They may make some interesting conversion fodder.

The entire BFE line is on hold pending the conclusion of an agreement with a mysterious "third party" to revamp the BFE line and take it into other eras/settings.
Historical Wargames - My Historical, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Steampunk, and Pulp Gaming Page.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:10:01 PM »
They're a very small 28, kriegspiel eureka-type small
Here's a comparisonpic from  www.Evocommand.com , i think the other 2 models are from Devil dog design, the humvee is not from mongoose

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:09:49 AM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
Should make them 28 mm then?

They are too small for 28mm scale. They are even too small for "true" 28mm minis.

The odd size is really what finally killed it for me. Nice rules though

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:07:37 AM »
Same here, i could take the prepaints anyday, they looked ok, like something i had not really finished but good enough to game with, but  the size was just too different considering i already had loads of moderns..

The rules are worth getting, i haven't used them much but they seem to be great for huge battles..

Offline Isamu

• Bookworm
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 11:37:36 PM »
I always thought "true" means only, they have nearly authentic body masses, guns etc., not like "heroic". I think the Battlefield Evolution figures are 25mm, which makes a difference to 28mm or 30mm like Warmachine and Whm 40k, also they prefer it to call it 28mm.

Still the tanks and Cars are way to small. Vehicles should be smaller than 1:56.  This are my 2 cent.

Offline celtoslegion

• Assistant
    • http://www.celtoslegion.de
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 11:52:46 AM »
got a PLA MBT99 cheap on eBay - The paintjob is ok (you can't go wrong painting a tank green, can you?), but the proportions are not to scale.

I think the tank is roughly ok considering lenth and width, but it's far too small compared in heights. A WOTC Star Wars miniature can look over the tank turret (!) and the tracks are at hip height.

I'll ditch the turret and mount an AA turret from Antenocity on it, to give me a nice remote controlled AA-tank for my spaceport table.

How are the jeeps and pickups? I always thought them quite nice, but if they are as tiny, as the tanks, I'll happily pass.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »
Everything about this game is wrong  :)
The vehicles don't match the figures and neither the vehicles nor the figures match anything else that's available. The rulebook's no good without troop stats that only come with the boxes of figures but the figure's are rubbish so why would you bother?

originally I was looking forward to this game, the sample figures looked ok, and there was a buzz about it. But, as usual, Mongoose fucked up.

They chose to make their figures different to everyone else's so you'd have to buy theirs, no problem there, they're a business and want to make money. Their rules, like so many others, are just a way to sell figures. But then they produced the most godawful laughable pieces of crap since early Mageknight and tried to tell everyone they were great.

They even changed the photos of the prototype figures on their website to photos of the crappy production miniatures but kept all the 'waaay kewl' comments so it looked like people actually liked them.

Remember when Mongoose Matt apologised and said they weren't going to sell the production figures because they were so bad? A day later he's saying they will sell them after all because they're actually quite good  :lol:

Typical Mongoose,.

Their tanks cost more than Dragon prepaints, this one 1:72 Dragon MBT costs £8.00

This Mongoose one costs £15

Trying to shoe-horn Mongoose's junk into existing collections isn't worth the effort. Life's too short.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Battlefield Evolution
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »
The hobbymaster 1/56 abram is good too if that's your scale, usually costs around £15 :)