Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Return to Darkest Africa (Updated 24 Mar 20 - Masai)  (Read 28306 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Return to Darkest Africa (Updated 24 Mar 20 - Masai)
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
Although I painted around 150 miniatures and had a handful of games a few years back I've still had an awful lot of Darkest Africa miniatures lying unpainted for too long.  I hope to amend that situation a bit this year.  With the prospect of a club campaign later in the year, hopefully it will give me a bit more incentive not to get too distracted by my myriad other projects.

As I enjoy making terrain and buildings most that is where I decided to start the New Year.  First off is a Tembe:

A 4mm MDF base with 5mm foamcore walls.  BBQ skewers for the entances at each end.  The walls were rendered with filler applied with an old penknife and watered down filler was brushed onto the ground.

With the limited illustrations, model photos and descriptions I found this is my interpretation so far.  Since then I've had doubts as to whether the doors leading off the central courtyard are correct.  Would there be any doors at all along the long sides?  Are the entrances at each end completely open into the courtyard, blocked off only when the tembe is used as a refuge?  I also appreciate the "doors" might not be as substantial as I have currently modelled them.

Comments/suggestions would be gratefully accepted by those members of the forum with greater knowledge than mine.

Paul

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:49:20 PM by Overlord »
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Return to Darkest Africa
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
There's a bird's-eye-view illustration of a tembe, I think in one of Stanley's books, showing the courtyard arrangement. In this one there is a single door in the centre of the long inner wall opening on to the courtyard, rather than three. And surprisingly, the outer doors open directly on to the courtyard, the "hallways" at each end have no inner walls, just supporting beams holding the roof up. Also the courtyard is more spacious, compared with the size of the rooms, which look like they would be tiny, thin and pokey. The area of the courtyard looks like the same or more area than that of all the rooms put together, with room to keep herd animals in it and still have plenty of space for people to loaf about in the shade.

But of course, you don't have to stick with any of that. It is a picture of a tembe, not all tembes. I'm pretty sure that Unyanyembe didn't have very strict planning regulations.

I'll see if I can find that pic somewhere. Great job, by the way. I am mortally envious. I want one, but can't build stuff for shit.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:41:29 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »
One more thing:

It's hard to tell, but there seem to be loopholes or small windows on the inner walls, facing into the tembe courtyard. Oddly enough, on this picture there don't seem to be any outward facing ones. One would surmise that perhaps the plan is to let the enemy get into the courtyard where he is caught in your crossfire. Or maybe the artist just forgot to draw the outer windows.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
Cheers Dylan, I was pretty sure you would have a better idea than I did (should have asked before I started building  ::))

I was aware that my courtyard was a bit small compared to the walls/rooms, but wanted to model to fit into an A4 paper box for storage and making the walls thinner didnt look quite right.  Like most wargame models it is a bit of a compromise.  

Regarding the windows/loopholes, I found a reference to Stanleys men boring loopholes in the walls of a tembe, suggesting they might be windowless in normal use.  Loopholes on the internal walls make sense in the event of a break-in.  The few tembe references I found are all slightly different, so I'm not unduly worried about the local building regs!  I did however want a reasonably accurate representation.

I can block off most the courtyard doors leaving one on each side, add internal loopholes and open up each narrow end of the courtyard too.  Fairly easy to do before I go further.  Many thanks for the help.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
This isn't the picture I was thinking of, but it does illustrate another example of the short ends of the tembe not having any inner courtyard walls:

This one seems to have lots of courtyard doors, so you don't really need to get rid of all of yours if you don't want to.

Another pic I stumbled upon,

This one looks like it has some structures inside the courtyard, maybe small huts for animals or something? Also seems to have solid walls all the way around the courtyard, including the gate ends, though it is hard to be sure. And check out how wonky the arrangement of the walls is. Shows there is no one single template for a tembe, and that you have plenty of scope for making it how you want to fit your gaming needs.

This tembe at Kazeh (Tabora) even has a nice outer veranda (this is probably in the nice peaceful times before Mirambo started attacking them).

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »
Oooh. Very nice Paul. Looking forward to following this...
Glad to see your Sikhs getting some use. I knew all those LPL entries would come in useful  :D

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
@ Plynkes: Those images were very helpful and different to the ones I had.  Little doubt as to the huge variation in tembe construction.  Based on the additional information I have done a "Kirstie" on the tembe; knocking through the end walls and adding courtyard loopholes to "let more light in" and filled in most of the courtyard doors:

Oooh. Very nice Paul. Looking forward to following this...
Glad to see your Sikhs getting some use. I knew all those LPL entries would come in useful  :D
Unfortunately that photo including the Sikhs (LPL3 R3) is from a game two years ago, which was probably the last time they were on the table.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:51:19 PM by Overlord »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
Tembe looks good, it is extremely similar to the one I made.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
Great stuff. :)

Glad to see you back with a new building, can't wait to see more. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
I like it! It reminds me I have to finish my own tembe  ::)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
Very good-looking indeed  :)

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »
Excellent work!  :-*

I would allow the blocked-up doorways to show somewhat in the finished model. They would be an entirely natural feature for such a structure, since it would be modified over time as circumstances changed.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »
This looks excellent!  I'd like to build something similar myself - can you share your other source pictures here on the forum for us to look at?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
It is remiss of me - i really need to get to my Explorer Project
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
This looks excellent!  I'd like to build something similar myself - can you share your other source pictures here on the forum for us to look at?
I will try and scan the images from books/magazines when in the office towards the end of the week.

Borrowed from Ignatieff and The League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers:

Not all exactly primary sources, but may be of some help:
http://gajominis.com/blog/blog%202011/blog2011no9.html
http://ajstable.blogspot.com/2011/02/tembe-1.html