Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:48:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: primering  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Wraith

• Librarian
primering
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »
Since I came from the wargaming genre, and painting large amounts of minis quickly is the order of the day, I prime up my minis with black primer. I know thw colors dont pop, as with white primer, but they are quicker to paint, since the black acts as shadow and you dont have to paint every nook and cranny.

How about ya'll, what primers do you use?
White, Grey....black?
I suppose you will be wanting your ear back now that you have answered my questions -The Wraith

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
primering
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:52:21 PM »
Black is my favourite, due to the quicker painting, but i found grey primer at the dollarstore so i've temporarily changed to that :D

If i'm painting something that needs bright colors i sometimes give it a light touch of white primer over the black:)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: primering
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:06:21 PM »
Quote from: "Wraith"
Since I came from the wargaming genre, and painting large amounts of minis quickly is the order of the day, I prime up my minis with black primer. I know thw colors dont pop, as with white primer, but they are quicker to paint, since the black acts as shadow and you dont have to paint every nook and cranny.

How about ya'll, what primers do you use?
White, Grey....black?

I use black or if doing horses etc a dark brown, I have played arond with deep washed base colours for things such as Cultists (v dark red/brown)

Cannot get away with white priming

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
primering
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:43:49 PM »
Miniatures I always prime white nowadays. Buildings and terrain mostly black, but usually I aim for a dirty, run-down look there, so popping colors are not necessarily wanted.
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
primering
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:46:20 PM »
White for me, I'm old fashioned :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
primering
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:23:22 PM »
used to use white undercoat about 15 years ago. Always did the flesh colours and then overpainted the rest black to get the deeper depth to colours.

Now I always black prime using Humbrol Matt Black.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
primering
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »
For brighter or lighter coloured chaps, white; for darker colours, black, retouching light colour areas (flesh, reds, yellows, oranges) with white before painting them. Occasionally, if the scheme warrants it, brick red.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
primering
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:32:19 PM »
I use grey. I guess that makes me the "in the pot, nine days old" guy.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
primering
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:54:15 PM »
I undercoat everything in black.  It hides many of the sins of my slapdash painting.  :)

Matt Black spray from Halfords for minis.  B&Q One Coat black for scenery.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
primering
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:37:08 PM »
White matt Halfords car spray paint - it's about a third the price of 'proprietary' hobby sprays (so that's about a tenth the price of GW) and twice as good. It comes is great big spray cans. Lovely.

Once the matt white is dry, I give the model a thinned wash of black acrylic, tempered by a shot of khaki or earth, which runs into all the crevices.

Working quickly before it's dry, i give it a quick wipe off, and hey presto - there's your black lining and dark shadowy areas, but with the advantage that all the areas of raised detail are there to see and easy to paint in a (now slightly off) white.  :wink:

I find painting straight onto a flat matt black primer kills the eyes - although I do sometimes use this technique for horses, where I am immediately going to overlay large areas of brown...

Hope helpful.  :mrgreen:

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
primering
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:49:01 PM »
I never prime. I undercoat in black (usually) and I find my figures are quite bright enough for me  :)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
primering
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 01:13:08 AM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
I find painting straight onto a flat matt black primer kills the eyes -

I need to be under a good light to paint over black, especially if I'm trying to do dark green or blue.

If I try under the normal 8watt bulbs my eyes go all swirly.  

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
primering
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 01:56:12 PM »
I prime black and give them a heavy white drybrush. Sort of the opposite approach Captain Blood uses, but for the same reasons.

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
primering
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »
Quote from: "revford"

Hey, cool! Could we all have this, please? There were quite a few situations in the past when I missed this exact thing :lol:

Offline revford

• Mastermind
primering
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 04:50:56 PM »
Quote from: "Zafarelli"
Quote from: "revford"

Hey, cool! Could we all have this, please? There were quite a few situations in the past when I missed this exact thing :lol:

Sure, the swirly eyes face is free for everyone to use.  :)