Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Incident on Recopia: Star Wars battles using No Limits  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Incident on Recopia: Star Wars battles using No Limits
« on: December 17, 2007, 06:48:54 PM »
Well my wife and I have a stack of Star Wars minis a mile high. We have some old WEG one, we have a lot of converted 28mm minis from various manufacturers, and we have quite a large number of WOTCs plastics. Normally we use these minis for Star Wars role playing games but we are both miniature wargamers so we like fighting big battles as well which RPGs usually arn't suitable for. WOTCs miniature rules barely deserves the title wargame. In fact I've run pleanty of RPG encounters as massive as their idea of a "mass" battle. No Limits seemed to be the answer to our desire to play large battles in the Star Wars galaxy. We both wrote up roughly 1000 point forces from the Star Wars army stat cards provided in the No Limits download section. The Imperials, run by myself, consisted of one Imperial officer, one AT-ST, one Probe droid, and three squads of 10 stormtroopers including one sergant per squad and one trooper armed with a light repeating blaster. The Rebels, run by my wife, consisted of Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, R2-D2, two squads of 10 Rebel Fleet troopers including a sergant and one trooper armed with a light repeating blaster, one tripod mounted medium repeating blaster crewed with two Rebel Fleet Troopers. One of the reasons we went with the named characters for the Rebels is because the rebel list doesn't have any officers nor heavy equipment at this point. We're planning on working on stats for far more equipment and personel but for this battle we decided just to try and figure out the rules first.

Since we had characters involved we couldn't resist workign up a simple senerio.

The setting is the Planet Recopia sometime shortly after the Battle of Yavin. Recopia is in the galactic core but it's off the major hyperspace lanes. During the Republic era Recopia did not even have senatorial representation. The plannet itself consisted of numerous island city states scattered across the plannet. The gave Recopians a highly independent outlook and when the Empire came to power and installed an imperial government on the plannet problems began to arrise. Due to its backwater nature Recopia had already become a haven for space pirates, smugglers, and crime lords. The plannet had a much larger alien population than most core worlds and there were even rumors of jedi hiding out on the many island dotting the surface. The Empire cracked down on these activities with numerous raids of the various city states and private islands. This however caused the Recopians to band together to resist the Empire. Hopeing to establish some support in the galactic core Princess Leia of the Alliance to Restore the Republic has traveled to Recopia on a diplomatic mission. Han Solo voluenteered to be her pilot but his ship was undergoing repairs to the hyperdrive so he was forced to take Leia on a small luxury yacht donated to the Alliance by a wealthy Alderanian. The yacht, "The Lady Aldera", was neither armed nor fast but it did have a heavily armored hull and good shields. Two Squads of Allaince Fleet Troopers would be assigned to the mission as security and to help show the Recopians that the Alliance did have a professional military core.

The mission had gone well. Princess Leia had been able to have a number of favorable meetings with several Recopian officials who were highly sympathetic to the Alliance. Unfortunately word of her activities on the plannet had reached the Imperial Governers office on Recopia and he ordered a platoon of Imperial troops who were in the area of the Rebel camp to capture the Princess. Unfortunately "The Lady Aldera" was suffering from mechanical problems as well. Some local technitions had been working on it but they had not quite finished when Imperial troops arrived. They would have to work fast to get the princess off the planet.

We basically decided that it would take 3 rounds for the technitions to be ready to attempt to re-start the ships systems. On the fourth round they could attempt to re-start the ship by rolling under 4 on a D10. On the fith turn they would have to roll under a 6. On the sixth and consecutive rounds they would have to roll under an 8.

Here's how the sides were deployed.

The Rebels placed one squad on the wooded hill on their left flank, their mounted heavy weapon in the center of their line another squad behind a rocky outcropping, Han and Chewie in the rebel camp, and Leia and R2 near the ship.

The Imperials placed squad alpha, the probe droid, lt. Derker Steel, and the AT-ST on their right flank, squad beta positioned themselves in the center of the field behind a tall hill, and squad gamma took up position in a wood on the left flank.

In the first turn the rebels on the wooded hill took 4 casualties from the AT-ST and Stormtrooper squad alpha. Although they were not forced to take a moral test michelle decied to retreat them down the back of the hill rather than face a full stormtrooper squad asisted by a probe droid the imperial commander and an AT-ST. The AT-ST also took a wound from the Rebels Tripod mounted Medium Repeating Blaster in the center of the field.

The Rebel heros took up positions near the ship as the Imperials advanced. The rebel squad on the right flank also took up position in the rocky outcropping in front of their starting position.

The Imperials began their advance. Squad alpha made a dash through the rocky terrain near mid field. This proved to be more difficult ground to cover than was expected. The AT-ST began trading shots with the rebel heavy support weapon but despite the fact it was in the open it managed to survive for several rounds due to bad shooting by the AT-ST crew. Squad beta took the hill in the center of the Imperial line and squad gama marced took up a position at the edge of the wood. Both squads traded shots with the rebels in the rocky outcropping who proved to be quite difficult to dislodge. Squad gama actually broke for a bit and retreated into the woods but quickly regained their nerve and got back into the fighting. The rebels on the left flank moved arround the hill attempting to get in a position to flank squad alpha and the AT-ST. Han and Chewie took a few shots at squad beta but only managed to kill at trooper or two.

Things were starting to look bad for the rebels. The AT-ST had finally managed to kill the crew of the rebel support weapon while taking no further damage. Squad alpha had finally got into position and squad beta and gama despite moderate losses were starting to wear down the rebels in the rocks. After two attempts to re-start the ship it was still grounded as the techs tried to sort out the problem.

Then the rebels got a break. The squad on their left flank took out the AT-ST in a barrage of blaster fire. By now it was the sixth turn and the techs had managed to get "The Lady Aldera" running.

Squad alpha had cut off the remaining Rebel troops so Han and finally decided to board the ship with the remaining sergant.

With no way to get to the other rebel squad Han engaged the repulsorlifts and "The Lady Aldera" blasted off from the surface of Recopia.

We counted this as a minor victory for the Rebels. Though Leia escaped she was able to do so only due to the sacrafice of most of her troops. As far as the system goes we liked it quite a bit. Despite the fact we had never played before we managed to finish an eight turn game in only about 3.5 hours of playing time. While the system did have similariaties to other systems we played it also have several unique and refreshing aspects. Although I'm sure we made a number of mistakes I'm looking forward to playing this game and creating my own equipment and personalaties.

The Star Wars list played well and it felt like things played as they should but I'd really like to work on expanding it quite a bit.

We used No Limits rules for this battle.  They are a free open source set up rules avaliable from Wargames Unlimited

http://www.wargamesunlimited.com/

They Star Wars Imperial and Rebel data cards are avaliable for download here:

http://www.wargamesunlimited.com/nolimits/downloads.html

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:28:29 PM »
Very interesting post!

We at Cargad were working in a special ruleset to play unit battles using the SWM miniatures from Wizards. We will have a look at No Limits.
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
It's a pretty fun game and not too hard to pick up.  Seems most similar to Warhammer 40k 2nd edition but it's not a copy of that system by any means.  It's a D10 based system and the nicest thing about it is that it's designed to be totally generic.  There are detailed instructions for creating your own personalaties, equipment, weapons, and vehicals that work fine in the game.  In fact the game is built arround this idea.  There are no official armies but there are several fan created army list as well as a nice set of stat cards for basic "origional trilogy" Star Wars battles though there is a lot of room for improvement to that list as far a variety.  

Their forum is slow but Star Wars is a popular subject and it's pretty much the dominate subject at the moment.  There are a lot of people there interested in using No Limits for Star Wars battles.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:17:35 AM »
I see that they have a list for Hasslefree's Grymn. Since Ive just ordered some of these lovely little figures [yet another distraction!] I'll have a look at these rules.

Great looking game & enjoyable battle report, by the way. I hope my son never sees it, as then I'd have to buy loads of Star Wars minis too  :(

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:28:45 AM »
Fun looking game :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:14:09 AM »
Absolutely nice!

Has anyone tried using the SWM rules for tabletop battles instead of moving around on a square grid (I think you could just substitute inches for squares for movement, and treat 'adjacent square' as 'base-to-base')?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »
As said, we are developing some rules to play using the SWM rules and cards, but without grid and creating units. Weapons have also range to introduce mor tactical complexity. Rules will be published in Cargad #25 so I will translate the article in the forum if there is interest in it.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 12:09:48 AM »
Quote from: "Ironworker"
It's a pretty fun game and not too hard to pick up.  Seems most similar to Warhammer 40k 2nd edition but it's not a copy of that system by any means.

IIRC it is actually based on Vor.

Offline Big Juju

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 07:34:43 AM »
Ironworker - Great battle report.  Sounds like you all had a great time.

Who makes that ship you used for the Rebels?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 07:29:27 PM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
As said, we are developing some rules to play using the SWM rules and cards, but without grid and creating units. Weapons have also range to introduce mor tactical complexity. Rules will be published in Cargad #25 so I will translate the article in the forum if there is interest in it.

Sure, you got me hooked on buying SW-minis from Ebay, so I MUST insist!  :wink:

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 02:23:33 AM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek"
Quote from: "Ironworker"
It's a pretty fun game and not too hard to pick up.  Seems most similar to Warhammer 40k 2nd edition but it's not a copy of that system by any means.

IIRC it is actually based on Vor.

Ok that's fair.  I never played Vor so I don't have any refference for it.  

Big Juju:  The ship is from a JLA (Justice League of America) toy line.  I picked it up a few years ago at Wal Mart for 10 bucks and I've been kicking myself for not picking up at least a couple.  I don't know if you could find them anywhere but you might find one on e-bay.  It came with "The Flash".  I've always planned to paint it up but it works ok as is.  The worst things about it is that it has two narrow landing gear front and back so it's not very stable but at least it has gear so you can stand it up if you need to.

Offline Big Juju

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 03:14:48 AM »
Thanks, Ironworker.  I found a couple on eBay.  It's  the "Justice League Javelin 7."

I worked up a set of Star Wars conversion rules for the free Savage Worlds Showdown skirmish rules.  If you're trying out different Star Wars rules sets then please give mine a try: http://www.naxera.com/starwars/

I think "Star Wars Showdown" has a real cinematic feel.  The heroes are Wild Cards and have multiple wounds instead of the extras.