Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:59:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp terrain?  (Read 14214 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Pulp terrain?
« on: July 04, 2006, 08:38:40 AM »
Hi, everybody, and congratulations, Alex, on your forum! I have been following BOBT for a while, as I have been plannning (and collecting/buying miniatures for) a pulp-era Rugged Adventures table-top campaign starting in Egypt from the beginning of this spring. Always good motivation/inspiration to see beautifully painted miniatures!

Now my question: I've been drooling over the buildings shown in many of the photos, especially the middle-eastern ones in issue 14; are they scratch built, or can they be purchased from somewhere?

Btw.: If anybody should wonder: I'm a 'mature' gamer, if such a thing exists  :wink: , having just turned 40 last February and living with my wife and two little daughters of 3 ys and 3 ms respectively. I have been gaming for almost 30 years, but have only recently given in to the temptation of the pulp and (perhaps) victorian era(s) - this website didn't do anything to help me resist, I must say...  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 09:05:54 AM »
Welcome, argonor and many thanks for the kind words! The adobe buildings are from Hovels, really good stuff, unlimited recommendation. And be sure, also in the future this site will don't anything to help you resist  :mrgreen:  

Alex

P.S: also two daugthers? Like me, no boys to play with :-)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:19:47 AM »
incidentally, Monolith has loads of adobe buildings too. Looks nice, I have to order some
http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/adobe25m.htm

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:26:48 AM »
Hi Argonor and welcome,

when youre living in Denmark this information is probably from interest for you.

We are presenting a small convention in Bad Oldesloe ( Schleswig Holstein - Northern Germany in September. It will be held on two days on the 9th and 10th September. The location is a youth hostel. Pulp is the main event. There will be Chaos of Cairo, Gothic Horror Vampire Wars and .45 Adventure. Plus other games like a Napoleonic, Confrontation, Flames of War, Hordes and Warmachine, Rezolution. For further information please contact Burkhard Hannig. hannig.bu@cityweb.de

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
Thanks for the links, I'll be looking at the sites as soon as I get home form work (I'm having lunch break right now, and we have about 30 degrees C).

The convention in Bad Oldesloe sounds interesting - I must see if I can get away from the family for a day or two.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »
I couldn't resist looking at the terrain sites, and wow... my bank consultant will be chasing me around this summer  :lol:

Now I only have to find a manufacturer of 25/28 mm chinese structures (and a hiddren temple treasure, I think I have a map here somewhere... (disappears in the ruins muttering and cackling to himself))

No, seriously, having been a regular visitor to the pulpfigures website, and the Ainsty catalogue, I am still looking for those 'native' shacks of China Station to appear ready-made for clumsy, many-thumbed non-modellers like myself. Does anyone know anything?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »
Quote from: "argonor"
I couldn't resist looking at the terrain sites, and wow... my bank consultant will be chasing me around this summer  :lol:

Now I only have to find a manufacturer of 25/28 mm chinese structures ?

Also Monolith  :)
http://www.monolithdesigns.co.uk/china.htm

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 06:32:49 PM »
have anybody Pict´s f  the Monolith chinese buildings  i mean more than the poor pict´s from the webside  ?

why have so manny company so sparsely pictures of the stuff thay sell ?
aren't they interesting in my monny ?

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 01:47:17 AM »
The Chinese buildings at the Pulp Figures site are Bob's own work - and very nice indeed.

I make model scenery for a living, but it took me a long time before I was willing to try Chinese buildings - it's the distinctive 'curly' roofs that are hard to do. Eventually I cracked it. I use standardised templates of thin card to draw matching 'ribs'  of foamcore for the roof, then hot glue sheets of corrugated card into the shape desired.

If you can make basic foamcore or card buildings (and Arab buildings are dead easy - they are just boxes) with a little practice you can make Chinese buildings.
I do all my own stunts

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 09:13:41 AM »
Hey, why didn't I see that entry in their catalogue in the first place??? Must be the hot, humid weather of tropical Funen.... Again today the temperature rises to about 30 degrees C, and I am dreaming mysekf away to white beaches and palm trees (just got some nice plastic ones from Pegasus, btw.).

Thanks again!

To Howard Whitehouse: Aren't you the author of a rules set by the name of Astounding Tales or something...? (i have been sniffing around for it because of a recommendation of it in some of the Rugged Adventures material)

And a question on foamcore: Is there a webstore in the UK or elsewhere in Europe that carries foamcore in different thicknesses? In Denmark I have been able to find a single store carrying only 10 mm. In Aarhus, about 200 km from where I live...

• Scientist
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 02:04:43 PM »
Argonor, I am, indeed, the guilty party behind the madness that is 'Astounding Tales!'

Foamcore is very easy to find in N. America - every office supplies store, art store or the better craft shops carry it on the racks with the sheets of art paper. Are you certain we aren't having one of those 'Oh, we call that ----- here!' moments? Modellers get that all the time: Britons call white glue 'PVA', Americans call it 'Elmer's Glue' after the leading brand.

Foamcore is simply thin plastic foam (maybe 5mm thick) with a sheet of paper on either side, like a sandwich. You may well have it in Denmark, and just call it something else --- H

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline Oisin

• Student
  • Thief. Warrior. Gladiator. King.
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »
No, not exactly

IMHO it's more like foamcore = Sandwichplatte

http://www.architekturbedarf.de/Shop/Modellbau1/Pappe/FBoard/fboard.html

• Scientist
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 10:28:04 PM »
Yes, that looks like it. It's pretty cheap, cuts with a sharp modelling knife (although it dulls blades quickly), and can be glued with the sort of adhesives you use on paper.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Pulp terrain?
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 07:41:12 AM »
Oisin: You have hit the mark, I may be ordering some from that store until I find a place in Denmark that carries it ('Oisin' is from the Irish/Celtic tradition, right?)

Howard Whitehouse:
1) I do have a few 'Danish' translations for the stuff like: 'skumpap', 'arkitektpap' og 'sandwichpap' - 'pap' meaning 'cardboard' in Danish, but it's hard to come by. Maybe I should try an architect supply store or something like that...
2) Do you know a place, where I can buy a copy of Astounding Tales?