Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic toy vehicles advice wanted  (Read 3044 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Plastic toy vehicles advice wanted
« on: December 24, 2007, 01:39:32 PM »
I went through some old boxes containing toys from my younger years. Now, I quite liked my plastic armymen at the time and looking over them, I noticed a lot of the vehicles are about the right size for 28mm. Now,most of these are lacking in detail, but I was wondering if it could be worth using these in scenery perhaps, and as burnt out hulls etc... They aren't great, but they are basically free so it'd be nice to find a use for them. Do you people think it might be worth the effort or does it seem like a waste of time? Some pictures below:

2 different truck types:

3 different jeep types, all loosely based on a 'dumbed down' willys jeep:

Does anyone know what those tanks are (and if they're even ww2-era)? I've got 8 of them.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 01:58:03 PM »
They would make good burnt out vehicles perhaps either a debris on a battlefield or as barricades your weird WW2. Give them that burnt out/rusted look would work well

The tanks are British Centurian Tanks which were the precurser to Chieftain tanks, saw service post WW2.

http://www.military-vehicle.net/vcls/centurion.htm

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »
Thanks!
Yeah, burnt out, debris and the like is the way to go I think.  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 02:05:28 PM »
Corgi used to make a diecast Centurion I think I have one somewhere, I am sure this was molded from it. They would be good for Post 1945 British forces or your Weird war.

You could armour plate those Yank trucks and fill in the base of the cab for post apocalypse vehicles, I like the look of those :)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
With nice crew models a few accessories and some work on the radiators the jeeps would be fine, block up the windows and and a coat of paint those trucks would look perfect.

As for the tanks, if you replace the slightly wonky guns they are good too.

Looks like a great find there.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 05:30:01 AM »
I would hate to have to drive one of those jeeps with those steering wheels  :lol:
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 11:29:28 AM »
Yeah, the jeeps are really bad, especially those in the second picture (which, of course, had to be the type I had the most of... :lol: ).

I think the trucks can be quite servicable with a few adjustments, they seem the most detailed and accurate models of the lot.

The tanks have relatively good detail too, so I'll see what I can come up with. At least one of these should end up as a wreck in any event.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »
8) After looking at those pictures and reading the thread, my thought is that these would work great for an alien invasion senario.  They remind me of B movies of alien invasions, only with mostly British vehicles and tanks instead of American ones.  You could stage a 1960s "War of the Worlds" and actually light those tanks and other vehicles on fire... Well, maybe that's not safe gaming.

I would suggest gluing some cardstock under the cabs of the trucks.

This could be a good excuse to use those Brigade Games aliens, or the London War Room aliens.
Sailors have more fun!