Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Date for the plastic Teutonic Knights  (Read 8932 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Date for the plastic Teutonic Knights
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »
Fireforge Games have big ambitions. They are already under way with their next sets, and the plans are to have a series of Medieval sets that are inter-changable. So rather than have to carve up the Teutonics to convert them into something else, a future box set would have the pieces you needed to mix and match to make what you want. Thats the impression I've got from Fabio, one of the main men behind Fireforge.

Just posted a load of photos on Faceache of the first painted unit

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.357984940897081.108438.218634441498799&type=1

Nick

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Yes. Quite tempting... Although i'd use them for something other than Teutonics i think... Do you happen to know, Nick, if you get plenty of heads to choose from, or are there just 12 in a box?

I saw on their site a while back that they have rather spectacular artwork for the later C15th / Wars of the Roses. Would be interested to know how far down the line those are planned for, and whether they'll be compatible with the Perrys WOTR sets...  ::)

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Fireforge Games have big ambitions. They are already under way with their next sets, and the plans are to have a series of Medieval sets that are inter-changable. So rather than have to carve up the Teutonics to convert them into something else, a future box set would have the pieces you needed to mix and match to make what you want. Thats the impression I've got from Fabio, one of the main men behind Fireforge.

Just posted a load of photos on Faceache of the first painted unit

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.357984940897081.108438.218634441498799&type=1

Nick

Dead link.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
It worked for me. Have I done something wrong?

This is the Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Star-Military-Figures/218634441498799

Is that working?

Nick

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 06:31:51 AM »
I am impressed. Should I hold out for a set of early Hospitaliers or convert a set of these?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
I am impressed. Should I hold out for a set of early Hospitaliers or convert a set of these?

My thought exactly.
Get rid of the horny great helms, and these could pass for pretty much any knightly host of the era...
Hence my question about how many heads supplied. Are there enough extras to make up 12 figures without using or converting the more gothic great helms with their various baroque appendages?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
My thought exactly.
Get rid of the horny great helms, and these could pass for pretty much any knightly host of the era...
Hence my question about how many heads supplied. Are there enough extras to make up 12 figures without using or converting the more gothic great helms with their various baroque appendages?

The barded horses are not of much use for First Crusaders in the Holy Land neither.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 08:37:28 AM »
"Fabio"? are you italian? :)

great figures, really! A whole army of crusaders will be great! so bad that we'll have to wait like 1 year before having the complete options!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »
Yes. Quite tempting... Although i'd use them for something other than Teutonics i think...

Robin Hood ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline 1ngram

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
Nice though they undoubtedly are, these figures are far too late to represent the First Crusade.  Your standard Conquest plastic Norman Knights are perfect for that.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
The barded horses are not of much use for First Crusaders in the Holy Land neither.

They would be ok for 3rd Crusade though?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »
They would be ok for 3rd Crusade though?

I think they would, yes. The Saraccen use of barding seems well documented so I don't know why the Franks would not use it.

It looks like the barrel and sugarloaf great helmet was a thing of the second and third crusade to, darn it!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »
Did they have Great Helms at the time of the Third Crusade? Old books always show Coeur de Lion and co. gadding about in them, but more modern ones seem to have backed away from that, going for a transitional type, with a fixed face-guard added to the older, more open style of helmet.

Wikipedia says they did, but sometimes Wikipedia doesn't know shit. I dunno, not really my era.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »
Did they have Great Helms at the time of the Third Crusade? Old books always show Coeur de Lion and co. gadding about in them, but more modern ones seem to have backed away from that, going for a transitional type, with a fixed face-guard added to the older, more open style of helmet.

Wikipedia says they did, but sometimes Wikipedia doesn't know shit. I dunno, not really my era.

I have bought minis for this period which did many moons ago however you could be right but they do look rather tasty :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »
Of course. I'm speaking with no great weight of knowledge here, just what I gleaned from browsing a few Ospreys and from watching Tenpole Tudor videos.  :)