Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690750
  • Total Topics: 118346
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Venusian Amazons: Archer Unit Photo  (Read 11218 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Venusian Amazons
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »

Nice choice of colors and I don't think the decals on their shields look out of place either 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
  • Rules Author, Dealer In Antiquities, Mad Scientist
    • My Blog: One More Gaming Project
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
Thank you all for your kind remarks! 
Let me see if I can answer your questions about working with the figures.  In general I was very pleased with them, and I think the photo results are testimony to how good they can look with a nice coat of paint.  That being said, let me state that I am not a figure fussy, so my level of acceptability my be below what others find to their liking.  These are plastic figures after all, not metal, and suffer some of ther quirks that plastic figures suffer with sculpting and molding particually as you approach the seam lines. 
   They were easy to work with and went to gether quickly.  There are three different bodies (2 standing (10 of each), one kneeling (4 of these)) and to these you have to attach the heads and arms.  Weapons are all seperate and there is a wide variety of to chose from; though they come in odd ammounts (a couple of some, lots of others). 
   I would pick the following nits, for the sake of critique: 1) The arms  and shoulders are flat joints, not ball and socket. So positioning them is limited without some sort of trimming, which I did on some of the figures. That being said, there is a nice variety of arms included which gives the modeler lots of options. 2)  there were a very few minor casting errors like incomplete toes, and sink holes in a couple of the figures' backs.  3)  There is a lack of side arms for the figures.  Only a few swords are provided, and even fewer scabbards, but these were easily scrounged from other WF kits.
   The detail in them is good, and the results I got was with pretty basic paint jobs: base coats, followed by washes, then some highlights.  Nothing fancy.
  All in all I'm very pleased, and wouldn't hesitate recommending these for anyone who wants some nice looking wargame units.  I plan to get some more.
Also, if you didn't check the other photos on the blog, here they are below.  They are  close-ups so may help you in getting a better picture of the quality of the models.

"I have wrought my simple plan,
if I give one hour's joy,
to the boy who's half a man,
or the man who's half a boy!"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 05:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the review, sounds like I'm ordering some for my VSF project :)

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
Yes,
Thank you for taking the time to write the review.
It was very informative.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:40 AM »
Indeed, thanks for the review, that's very helpful.

Offline Groove51

• Librarian
    • Small Guys Rule
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
I like them. I didn't even notice the shield transfers.. and I have a small Dark Angel army.  lol

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
Don't play GW myself, though I've a few LotR/WotR figs that may see some action someday, but I have a metric bu**load of GW decals. This one is okay, but sticks a bit in my mind. One thing to consider in the future is a bit of cut-and-paste. At least, the cut part.

If one takes the same decal, and cuts a part off, it may be a whole different animal. Now, cutting and marrying parts is a bit fiddly for me, but I'm sure there are those who'd be able to handle same.

Heck, some decals look different just rotated. Imagine these, sword point up. Sort of a rayed sun effect.

Doug

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »
Would love to see this idea of Amazons on Venus continued using Shadow Forge and Bronze Age figures.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »
For VSF they will need some sort of ranged weapon to survive!

Looking at the design of their spears, a decent paint job (i.e. painting the hollows in the blades as some sort of energy/crystal) would gice them nice energy staves .... just a thought ;)
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
I am working on a unit of archers currently, so they will have some ranged weapons.  And my backstory for them is that they are an ancient civilization on the decline because their sworn enemy, the parrotmen, have developed firearms and they have not.  The timely arrival of the French from Earth should help to rectify that.  Maybe I will eventually do some up with rifles to show them being armed by the French.  (Possibilities like that are what I love about plastic figures: You want some rifle-armed Amazons? Sure, no problem!)
    That all being said, I sure like your idea of making those spears into energy staves!  :D

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Any plans for a mounted group? The question would be mounted on ? ....... Lizards!
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »
Oooh, mounted Amazons!  Stop putting these ideas in my head.  :D 
Wouldn't be too hard to get the Wargames Factory Roman Cavalry and do a torso and head swap....
Now, what to use for mounts...?  Lizards or dinos, yes. But whcih ones?

I wonder how tall these are:

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »
I wonder how tall these are:

I've got some wip british irregulars mounted on those, they're pretty good with regards to size.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »
I am working on a unit of archers currently, so they will have some ranged weapons.  And my backstory for them is that they are an ancient civilization on the decline because their sworn enemy, the parrotmen, have developed firearms and they have not.  The timely arrival of the French from Earth should help to rectify that.  Maybe I will eventually do some up with rifles to show them being armed by the French.  (Possibilities like that are what I love about plastic figures: You want some rifle-armed Amazons? Sure, no problem!)
    That all being said, I sure like your idea of making those spears into energy staves!  :D

In my take on Venus the French use parrotmen as colonial troops:

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
In my take on Venus the French use parrotmen as colonial troops:

Those perfidious Frogs! Playing both sides against the middle!

And I thought the Brits were underhanded, conniving, manipulative crumpet munchers!

(I love saying that, being half British, though only a quarter English.  lol )

Doug