Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:25:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thatched roof?  (Read 8680 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Thatched roof?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:48 PM »
I like the effect you get wit DAS Modelling Clay, see;
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/2010/01/flintloque-large-farm-house-part.html

Tony

That is a splendid building, Tony  :-*
Did you ever get it into production, only i wouldn't mind one of those...

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:53:10 AM »
I put Milliput (Yellow-Gray) on plastic surface and score with a blade.  You can see the results in pic 25 (last pic) at www.warin15mm.com/Pax-Romana-Gallery.com

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 02:56:37 AM »
Sorry website was incompletely written: www.warin15mm.com/Pax-Romana-Gallery.html

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 05:35:26 AM »
Cheap hand towels work nicely as thatch.

First photo is the recent Russian buildings I've been doing for Russian Civil War, the second is a barn I did last year for English Civil War/Thirty Years War gaming. Both are towel; the ECW barn I did as strips of towel, the RCW buildings are simpler, just solid sheets of towel.

First, cut oversized pieces of towel. Much easier to trim afterward than try to patch, trust me.

Glue down with generous amounts of white glue to a semi-coherent understucture; most of my roofs start with mattboard so they needn't be fancy.

After the initial glue has mostly dried, soak the towel with a 1:1 mix of white glue:water. Ignore at least overnight, or until mostly dry, whichever happens first.

Basecoat with a mix of 1:1 black paint and straight white glue. Again, ignore overnight or until mostly dry, whichever happens first.

Heavily drybrush with various shades of tan and grey. The resulting roofs should be largely gamer-proof (ie, saturated in glue and nearly rock-hard) and look, IMO, pretty damn good.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
That is a splendid building, Tony  :-*
Did you ever get it into production, only i wouldn't mind one of those...

I am afraid not. The building was initially for use with my Flintloque collection. Then it was planned to be cast in resin, however there was not enough interest to go ahead and the building now stands finished and under coated, but awaiting paint.

The structure is now quite famous as the cover illustration to the Barking Irons Tales from the White Liar series of short stories featured on Barking Irons Online. See;
http://www.barkingirons.co.uk/j/game-systems/flintloque/adventures/321-rabbits-in-habits

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 10:25:34 AM »
Are you saying apply a single sheet onto the roof and comb, or do you cut and use strips to create the layered thatch effect. I ask because all the hand towels and bath towels I've seen always have some stitched design... I'm having trouble identifying suitable material, partly because the end result seems so radically different from the initial look
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 01:34:57 AM »
I would go with the 'towel' method but as one piece on each side and then a capping strip at the apex rather than the 'rows' of thatch as shown in FSKN's post.

Look at any European thatched roofs on the web and they are uniform thickness with no 'rows' and I remember one in Hamburg that was a uniform finish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thatching
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 07:17:40 PM »
Thatching for buildings I see here in the UK would probably be smooth, they lay bundles in rows and then shave the surface. Don't know if it is for appearance or helps the water run off better.
More rustic buildings or localised styles might be different. I use plumbers hemp on my African huts.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82689.msg1014720#msg1014720
Suspect with weathering it would make the layers less obvious.

Al

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »
Sukhe - thanks for resurrecting this thread - I was going to ask to same question as the Prof back in 2012. This is my contribution to the debate and what I have produced over the years and I can't say I am really happy with any of it.

This is combed teddy Bear fur.

The 2 on the left are towelling, back right is filler scored with a nail and the front is the teddy bear fur again.

I like the towelling the best but I think it is actually the least like thatch and I have never seen layers of thatch as in the layers of toweling shown in the tutorial, but I like that the best of the lot, I suppose it is what I think thatch should look like even though it doesn't.
Silent Invaders take on it having a ridge of extra material is also good, very often this was turf sods.

The Grand Manor roof is I think the nearest to actual thatch in terms of texture.

The other thing is colour, all thatching starts of as a yellowish colour but within a maximum period of 2 years, depending on the straw used it is grey, and very often has moss growing to a greater or lesser extent depending on where the house is, although I suspect that modern air polution has an impact on the moss growth.

I am also not happy with the colour I have achieved, starting off with black and then mixing with white and drybrushing 3 or 4 lighter layers of this until a light white dry brush.

It would be useful if you have any guidelines on how you achieve a greyish colour for thatch, and any more tips.

If the Prof reads this it would also be very interesting to see what he produced after considering all the advice.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
To throw another monkey-wrench into the mix, here's my version, which uses scouring pad stained (I soak it, then let it dry out with much of the paint in it - bit of a trial and error process), first with gray, then with brown:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:27:20 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 08:53:07 PM »
This is one of my experiments. It's blue foam, carved to shape and then carefully sanded with 80grit sandpaper in the appropriate direction. I still need some practise at it  ::)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 07:22:17 AM »
I guess this is what we are aiming for

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »
I almost feel like the ideal might be a very fine carpet.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »
Yes - or maybe felt?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 05:22:29 AM »
Yes - or maybe felt?

Think you want something with at least some apparent depth.

I'd almost say velvet might work too if it was totally matte. But I think a varnish coat might ruin the velvet texture.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:31:07 AM by FramFramson »