Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Remodelling my terrain  (Read 3016 times)

Offline 14th brooklyn

• Scientist
Remodelling my terrain
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »
OK, I need some help. I feel that my terrain boards look too clean if you like. So I have given one of them a go and remodeled it. Not sure if it made it better or not. Take a look and give me some feedback. Any tips are appreciated as well!

http://dhcwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/remodeling-my-terrain-boards/

THX,

Burkhard

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Remodelling my terrain
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
OK, I need some help. I feel that my terrain boards look too clean if you like. So I have given one of them a go and remodeled it. Not sure if it made it better or not. Take a look and give me some feedback. Any tips are appreciated as well!

The problem with those mats is monotony. You get the same when using static grass if you use just one type.
Adding other colors in patches creates a more realistic look (like the one you're pointing at in the pic)
The bare earth patches look like they belong on a golf course IMO. You could use that technique to create a path or maybe even a ditch.
BTW : with that much grassland, shouldn't there be some livestock grazing on it ?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »
The problem is not the mat by itself : it's because it is too flat. Add some low hills, walls, fences, hedges or whatever to have less "monotony".

If you play with a friend and are in a hurry to prepare the terrain, just add a book or something under the mat to get height...as long as it is a GW flexible mat.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
I don't think the large bare patches work at all, if you want stony/rocky ground you are better off picking out odd spots of the foam to create a recess then glue and fill with stones then paint, looks more natural if it is below the grass level rather than equal to it.

For colour changes I would suggest investing in a cheap single action airbrush and can of propellant then spray bands and patches of different greens and browns.

However all that said, I really like the well kept lawn look. My choice would be to leave the boards but make more scatter scenic pieces and break up the surface that way.

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
Instead of adding more grass etc you can just gently mist areas with a variety of colours using either an airbrush or spray cans as mentioned above.

for bare patches try flocking over it afterwards with a very thin layer (don't make it any where near as dense as what the origional mat is.)
This will give you the "bald spots" without looking out of place as the grass will be thin in these areas with the earth showing through a lot more.

For rocks etc just add some slate pieces into some of the bare earth sections (before adding the sand) and you have instant rough terrain.

I would advise cutting one foam square into four and experiment. Less is also more, especially if you have seperate terrain pieces you will be placing onto the field for the battle.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
Definitely agree that the transitions should be more gradual and haphazard.

I'm going to have to do something like this myself at some point, as I have two boards that serve as my gaming surface and they are 100% flat golf green.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
I would also try adding some of the many products out there to re-create patches of flowers, clusters of clumped grass, ect.
http://www.sceneryexpress.com/default.asp
this site has tons-o-products for that.

Offline 14th brooklyn

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Eric: I usually put more terrain on it. The big problem with the monotony comes when  we play games that call for little terrain (we had been playing a lot of Kursk scenarios lately).

Otherwise. The consensus here on on the poll seems to be not to overdo it. I had been thinking about airbrushing it before, but dropped the idea, but I think I will go back to that. Plus I shall add some static grass to the bald patches here to make them look more natural. On another Forum someone mentioned the use of foliage clumps sprinkled over the board... that might be worth a try as well.

Anyway... will keep you posted!

Offline 14th brooklyn

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
So after last weeks first try , I went back to remodelling my terrain boards. Based on the general consensus, I only airbrushed them over this time and I am happy with the results (although the photos are crappy). Also gave my hillside pieces an overhaul. Here is the full info:

http://dhcwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/remodelling-my-terrain-boards-part-2/

And a preview (although the tan comes out very light on this photo... as I said... crappy photos):

What do you think?

Burkhard

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
Left my reply on SD's board :)