Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:55:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Black Dossier EX-COM: First Two Missions *Feedback Req!*  (Read 4268 times)

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
Black Dossier EX-COM: First Two Missions *Feedback Req!*
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »
Here are the first two missions:

Types of Missions:
Note:  Instead of map pieces, each mission can possibly give you Alien Artifacts, dead specimens, live specimens, or live command aliens.

Crashed Spaceship: Your interceptors have forced an enemy spaceship to Crash land, go in and mop up survivors and retrieve any “specimens” and technology.
Requirements: None

Lurkers:  Any number of lurkers may be used.

Set Up: Players place scenery to a mutual satisfaction.  The threshold player places the crashed spaceship within 10 inches of the center of the board.  Half of the lurkers (rounding up) deploy within 5 inches of the craft, the other half deploy within the craft.  Threshold may choose which side they deploy on and may deploy within 5 inches of the table edge.

Special Rules:  none

Starting the Game: Each side rolls a 1D6.  The side with the higher roll may choose whether to go first or second.

Ending the Game:  The game ends when one side has been removed from the table.

Treasure:  If EX-COM wins the mission then any Aliens with a Major Injury count as dead specimens.  You can search for Alien Artifacts just like Map Pieces.

Landed Spaceship:  Your base radar has detected a landed scout ship and it’s time to send in the containment teams.
Requirements: None

Lurkers:  Any number of lurkers may be used.

Set Up: Players place scenery to a mutual satisfaction.  The lurker player places the landed spaceship within 10 inches of the center of the board. Threshold may choose which side they deploy on and may deploy within 5 inches of the table edge.  The lurker player then deploys anywhere on the table, at least 10 inches from a threshold model and out of LOS.

Starting the Game: Each side rolls a 1D6.  The side with the higher roll may choose whether to go first or second.

Ending the Game:  The game ends when one side has been removed from the table.

Treasure: If EX-COM wins the mission then any Aliens with a Major Injury count as dead specimens.  You can search for Alien Artifacts just like Map Pieces.  Since the alien ship is intact there is more of a chance to recover alien artifacts. Every Alien Artifact you find roll 1D6, on a roll of 5-6 you gain an extra Alien Artifact.

----

What do you guys think?  Thanks!
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline Meizter

• Bookworm
    • Gentlemen Wargamers
Re: Black Dossier EX-COM: First Two Missions *Feedback Req!*
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:18 AM »
Crashed Spaceship:
Set Up: Players place scenery to a mutual satisfaction.  The threshold player places the crashed spaceship within 10 inches of the center of the board.  Half of the lurkers (rounding up) deploy within 5 inches of the craft, the other half deploy within the craft.  Threshold may choose which side they deploy on and may deploy within 5 inches of the table edge.

I was thinking about a variation in this. Let's say the agents are on the craft that shoots down the UFO, then I would go for a setup like this, as things are happening really fast with the crash and everything.

However, if the agents are coming in on another ship (like in the game where you have the interceptor shoot down the UFO and then the Skyranger carrying the agents arriving later) then perhaps use the setup from the "landed spaceship" scenario. this would illustrate that there is a delay before the agents arrive, giving the aliens time to regroup or organize a defence against the agents they know are bound to shop up.

Looks really good so far and I can't wait to see more of this :D

EDIT: just another thought that occurred to me. How about some sort of measure for how many aliens you can have based on the ship size. Something like (numbers are just off the top of my head).

Very small: 1-2
Small: 2-4
Medium: 4-8
Large: 8-20
Very large: 20+

This would likely give the agents some idea of the threat they're facing, and well also add a constraint that you can't put 50 aliens into a itty-bitty UFO. As the powerlevel of the games rise this will yield more and more larger craft or small crafts with very powerfull aliens. This would also add a sense of an "advancing invasion" to the game/campaign I would think. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:58:13 AM by Meizter »
My miniature and wargaming blog: Gentlemen Wargamers

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!    I also thought about the spaceship sizes... I even thought about increasing or decreasing the BP of the Lurker forces.  I might go back to that, but I was thinking that the natural scaling mechanic of as the threshold agents get more BP the lurkers do too would represent this naturally.   What do you think?

In terms of the scenario feedback  that was my idea behind the crashed and landed spaceship scenarios.  A crashed spaceship represents the craft being shot down and threshold getting the upper hand.  The landed spaceship represents the aliens sneaking in before threshold detects them, giving the aliens the upper hand.   DO you think I should have two different crashed spaceship scenarios?

Thanks!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
I like this a lot too, it really opens Strange Aeons to a more'pulpish' storyline.  I have a lot of sci-fi terrain kicking around so I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out.  I can see a great game with a crashed spaceship, farm and farmhouse.

You could also have the aliens dominate the townsfolk or have them replacing ordinary people with pods.  Something to think about . . .

Offline Meizter

• Bookworm
    • Gentlemen Wargamers
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »
I agree that the power buildup will reflect the spaceship size, defining them is perhaps just adding an extra touch/flavor to it :)

About the scenarios, I personally think 2 different "crashed spaceship" setups would be nice. it could reflect 2 things (something that occurred to me after reading your reply).

1. There is a significant amount of time from the spaceship crashes to the agents are on the ground. This is really based on the type of craft that the agents have available, interceptor & transport or combined interceptor transport.
2. it also reflects the type of aliens (although we may not be able to see it). if the aliens are a bunch of hardcore plasma-gun-swinging aliens then they would probably be able to mount a decent defence very fast upon crashing, while more "science-types" of aliens would most likely be slower in mounting that defence, hence the original setup from your first scenario. (although never underestimate a scientist with a weapon ;) )

Anyways just a few thoughts :)

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
That is a great idea.... I was thinking, how about some type of opposed roll before scenarios.   With bonuses given to the Threshold player depending how many Alien Artifacts they have (representing research into new interception vehicles)    Both players roll, compare, and that's how you determine which side has the upper hand.

We could even flesh it out more with "equipment" that is the different types of interceptors. Bought with alien artifacts and upgraded. 

What do you think?

Offline Meizter

• Bookworm
    • Gentlemen Wargamers
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 01:40:47 AM »
I think the opposed roll would be a nice idea of determining who gets the upper hand, in that way you can still have the aliens gaining the advantage even in later campaign stages. Without this the advantage would slowly shift towards the agents assuming their crafts improve, and bringing in the opposed roll would retain some "tension" in the initial phase.

I think you have an interesting idea about more equipment. At least in my mind one thing about this type of setting is that you want to get your hands on loads of "alien tech"  so more options is always good I think :)

Offline Figouze

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
I realyy like the idea.

You just need map pieces list of artefact and missions available.
Research (for new equipment) and special scenario may be unlocked with "map pieces".

For example, sonic pistol for 3 map pieces than enable the use of sonic pistol in mission (regular pistol with ap1 for +1 BP).
So, you add to the BP amount and you increase your technology as well for a campaign system.

It may be interesting to have a technology tree to enable both on the same tree the technology and the new scenario.
For example the new ship engine technology may enable mission on the moon or things like this.
Or the better ship armament may add BP total because you may shoot bigger alien craft.

This is another idea on scenario :
 retrieve a living specimen.

Lurkers:  Half BP fro EXcom and normal amount for alien..

Set Up: Players place scenery to a mutual satisfaction.  

Ending the Game:  If EX-COM give a minor injury to one alien, it may flee by its own side, he win the scenario.
If he only does a major injury or be killed by alien, he loses the scenario. So, you may use light weapon or a special incapictae weapon.

Treasure:
One Map piece for the retrieve alien on 3-6 on 1D6, the alien died on 1-2 and is so unusable.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:37:15 PM by Figouze »

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
I love the whole concept, but as i do not possess a copy of strange aeons i feel at a bit of a loss judging anothers ideas on rule mod fits. still love the idea, carry on!
 :) ;) :D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Pretty cool idea
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
Cool! I just happen to have a U.F.O. model kicking around...will do for the small-medium craft. So much to do...so little time.  :-[
Great ideas here, I always read with much interest.  :)

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
Thanks!

I've been putting together my team, a little more MIB than XCOM... but Threshold of the 21st century is a little unique :)

I'm still going back and forth on what to use for my Greys... thinking the Tcho-Tcho... but I also like using the Rouge agent, that way they can have fancy guns... soo many decisions!

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »
Or, do you have any suggestions or guidelines you use when making new Lurkers? ;)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
Or, do you have any suggestions or guidelines you use when making new Lurkers? ;)

Ditto, I would like to hear if you have a forumula or some other means to derive points to balance a cost of a model.

I am working on a pair of Black Dossier's also and this is the hardest aspect is adding items in without knowledge of game mechanics for point scaling.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com