Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:18:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Project MK2!!More Goblins!  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
    • There's No More Room In Hell
Fantasy Project MK2!!More Goblins!
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »
Hey everybody, how are we all keeping? :D

With little Rochie only three months away, I'm faced with the realisation that day long games of tabletop butchery are soon to be either a fond memory or a once in a blue moon luxury :D
So, a quick trip Ganesha Games, a ridiculously small amount of money spent and an email later, and my fantasy skirmish project is born! My plan (for now) is to put together a few warbands for a fantasy campaign set in an as yet unnamed region, as well as slowly (very slowly) picking away at my Chaos army for warhammer fantasy 3rd edition. So far I have one warband nearly finished, and am re-basing my favourite miniatures from my different armies to take along for the ride.

So, first up is a goblin tribe;

The whole group, led by the enigmatic (and highly vicious) Gaffer (the one in the fur coat)

Just a bit of a close up to show the skin tone - as popular as green goblins are, I by far prefer a more fleshy colour scheme, as it gives more room to play around with different skin tones, and that's always a good thing! :)

With this model, I wanted something with a bit of speed to support the warband, but didn't want to use the gw wolves, as I wanted unique models rather than a bunch of the same monopose mounts, so after an expedition up the lead mountain, I came up with four Kroot hounds, and the old metal wolf riders fit on with the bear minimum of faffing about - result! :D
I'm thinking of calling them Quill-Beaks, but I'm open to suggestions!
The premise of the warband is a roving group of bandits/trappers who use the Quill-Beaks to run down larger prey as well as for forward reconnaisance.

There's more to come, but I don't want to open proceedings with a massively long first post, and if I showed everything at once, you won't come and visit, will you? ;)

All C&C is most welcome, so rip into em!

Cheers guys! :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:04:55 AM by Rochie »

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
Re: Fantasy Project MK2!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
Great stuff - using the Kroot Hound as a mount is really clever and effective.

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
Cheers Andy! To be honest, it was completely accidental that I ended up using them, I had a few ideas on what to use, but once I came across the Kroot hounds I knew I was on to a winner :)
I still have regular wolf riders in my big army, it's just they didn't give enough variety for my liking, but for anyone intersted, this is what they look like;

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »
Those are really cool. Fantastic paint jobs.
I love seeing goblins in natural flesh tones instead of the usual green.
It gives them a folkloric quality.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
As an admitted Goblin Guy, I've got to say your Goblins are TERRIFICALLY WELL DONE...the skin colors are EXCELLENT, as are the Wolves & your color choices in general. Using the Kroot Hound as a mount was sheer genius...never admit to an "accident", it's termed "inspiration". I look forward to more of your WONDROUS works...I have a vague idea what the Chaos Lads will look like.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
As an admitted Goblin Guy, I've got to say your Goblins are TERRIFICALLY WELL DONE...the skin colors are EXCELLENT, as are the Wolves & your color choices in general. Using the Kroot Hound as a mount was sheer genius...never admit to an "accident", it's termed "inspiration". I look forward to more of your WONDROUS works...I have a vague idea what the Chaos Lads will look like.

I thought you might have an inkling of the direction my chaos army's taking Al! ;) (on that note, the last of the neccessary grown up stuff's been finally sorted, I'll be in touch very soon!) How about instead of "accident" we call it a "fortuitous sequence of events that led to inspiration?" :D

And thank you Aggro84 for the positive feedback, I've really enjoyed looking through your threads the past couple of days, looking forward to more!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
Nice wolf or two there!

Love the 'Quill-Beaks' though.  I am going through a pile or two to drop on eBay and came across two of these - going to keep them now!

I do like 'flesh' goblins and the old GW Fire goblin was my favourite species.

Keep us up to date please.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
Lovely Gobbo's, Rochie!
 :-*

I know opinion is split on the 'correct' skin tone for Goblins, but I must admit I am on your side of the fence, fleshy tones all day for me.
You may not be so keen on the wolf riders due to their lack of variety, but considering you are not so keen, you have done a cracking job on them.

Joining the queue on the excellent Kroot Hound idea. Inspired!

Very much looking forward to the next installment........

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
Cheers guys! Next installment you say? bit of chaos do ye?

And some close ups;

All of them need rebasing and shields doing, but I'm basing the larger stuff on English 2p coins, and I'm running low on the small supply I managed to gather together when I was visiting the in laws in Yorkshire over the christmas... looks like a return journey might be on the cards! :D

Oh, and a quick question...

Nice wolf or two there!

Love the 'Quill-Beaks' though.  I am going through a pile or two to drop on eBay and came across two of these - going to keep them now!

I do like 'flesh' goblins and the old GW Fire goblin was my favourite species.

Keep us up to date please.

What's a fire goblin look like? I'm not familiar with it and for some reason I feel like I need to own one... ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:06:41 PM by Rochie »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
That's a FINE looking Band of Beasty Boys. The One Eyed Fellow with the pistol, in addition to being OH-SO-COOL, is a mini I don't think I've ever seen before. All are VERY WELL DONE!

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »
That's a FINE looking Band of Beasty Boys. The One Eyed Fellow with the pistol, in addition to being OH-SO-COOL, is a mini I don't think I've ever seen before. All are VERY WELL DONE!

Cheers mate! :D The nurgle champ with the one eye and the monkey arm is my favourite miniature. Ever. I bought him years ago when gw had their great lead sale with some birthday money, and he has appeared on the table in every game I've ever played with my chaos army(and I use them with alarming regularity), and has been dipped and repainted more times than I can remember :D

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »
yeah! I love oldschool project!
Very nice minis choice Rochie and splendid paintjob on them. Realy like it!
Chaos rules but what a gobbos crew!  :-*
Keep going mate! What's next?  :P

cheers
Faber

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
Re: Fantasy Project MK2(Beastmen and Heroes added) !!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
Cheers Faber! What's next eh? Well with the Goblins and Chaos guys dirtying up the place and lowering property prices, I thought that I should start introducing some order to proceedings, and show you a couple of adventurers, I intend on having a good few more of these, it's just a matter of coming across suitable models :)

and a rear view showing the shield design, still not set on it, may change it if the mood takes me;

There's Orcs and chaos dwarfs to come, I'll try to get on it later ;)

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
that is what I call a quick reply! :D
Yeah! Love the dwarf! Very nice shield too, I would not change it...maybe only a little retouch. The design itself is cool! Keep going mate!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Lovely stuff - I especially like those beastmen. Nice "realistic" tones on the Gobbo's too.  8)

Good work on the shield - gives him a kind of Mongolian/Chinese barbarian feel.