Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:35:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Project MK2!!More Goblins!  (Read 13028 times)

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
    • There's No More Room In Hell
Re: Fantasy Project MK2!!
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
Wow, nice shield there!

Regarding the orcs, care to share your method for their skin? They look really good, and pretty much exactly what I'd want to do myself with my rather hefty orc collection.

Cheers pal!

My skin recipe is basically;

Black undercoat
Basecoat gw Graveyard Earth(nice and thin, it usually needs two or three coats)
Highlight 50:50 basecoat and gw Rotting Flesh
Highlight Rotting Flesh
Extreme highlight gw Bleached Bone (just on the very tips of ears, nose etc)
Glaze with Green Ink (I use the really old gw Orc Flesh Wash, but Thraka Green pretty much does the job)
- The glaze is literally green tinted water, two or three coats just tints the flesh with a green hue - 
Gw Baal Red ink in the eye sockets and bottom lip
Gw Leviathan Purple ink in on top of the red wash, try to just get it running in the deep recesses

Hope that helps!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »
Lovely Chaos Dwarfs - that shield is brilliant - genuinely creepy!  8)

Might pinch that Orc flesh recipe for some more Tolkien friendly Orcs I've got in the paint queue!  ;)

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »
Lovely Chaos Dwarfs - that shield is brilliant - genuinely creepy!  8)

Might pinch that Orc flesh recipe for some more Tolkien friendly Orcs I've got in the paint queue!  ;)

Go for your life mate, enjoy! :D

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
Glaze with Green Ink (I use the really old gw Orc Flesh Wash, but Thraka Green pretty much does the job)
Thanks! I still have an old pot of orc flesh wash, might take it out for a spin. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
Re: Fantasy Project MK2 - Massive Talisman update!!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
Thanks! I still have an old pot of orc flesh wash, might take it out for a spin. =)

Just make sure to water it RIGHT down, I didn't initially... I could have been arrested for the language I used...

Anyway, another update, this time Talisman. I had a crack at a thread detailing this project last year, but it petered out pretty quickly as I had a hell of a lot of "green"skins to paint over the summer, but now that I'm shelving my armies in favour of smaller projects, Talisman got its time in the sun once more!!
I've changed the bases I was using to 30mm round ones, because I like doing fancy bases and these give me more room to play with.
The colour schemes were all very much inspired by (and in some cases directly ripped off from ;)) Stone Cold Lead's Talisman minis on his blog, so a big thank you to him for saving me the hassle of trying to lift a colour scheme from the original character cards!! :D

here we go!

The soldier still needs his shield digging out.. I'll get around to it, promise! ::)

Comments/Criticisms most welcome! :D

Offline Welf VIII.

• Librarian
Re: Fantasy Project MK2!!Massive Talisman update!!
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »
This is great, really like the way you underlined their profession by adding specific details to their bases. Just lovely.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:16 AM »
Nice collection of old GW minis!
They used to have so much character.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »
OH BABY! You got some of the OH-SO-COOL Oldies...you did them all up WONDERFULLY. WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:41 AM »
These are o so nice!!! While Julie Guthries Grenadier and Tom Meiers Ral Partha sculpts from that "era" are so much better in proportions and detail, these are just oozing atmosphere and are a joy to paint.

You did a great job on them!  :-*
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline ollv

• Scientist
    • Imagifig
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
Marvellous, they are quite lovely and the work on bases is just great. I really love the mad witch and the noble man.  :-*

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
Great stuff there. Really like that you've gone for the colour schemes off the game cards. A bold move considering some of the colours used in the artwork. I did a bunch of these for a client many years ago and they were great fun to paint.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Absolutely fantastic, Rochie!

I had a hankering to do a Talisman collection, those old sculpts are just great.
So full of character that works really well in the context of the damn awful game!

That was the reason the idea didnt get off the ground- I hate the game!
The miniatures are great, though, and your paintjob really does them justice.
And those bases........ ;D

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »
Cheers everybody! :D

Stone Cold Lead; The one I had the most trouble with so far is the soldier, orange purple and green are a proper **** to tie together without it looking too fruity, and I've still to add the bright yellow shield!!! :? And like I said, it was your commission work that helped immesurably with the project, only problem is, I've another 12 to do, and I've to go it alone with them! ;D

Aggro84; They're an absolute joy to paint mate, but bloody expensive to track down >:(

WelfVIII and Mason; The bases are a (loose)visual guide to where the models start on the board, starting to run out of ideas for the city style bases thogh, there's only so many ways to pimp flagstones ;)

DeafNala; Cheers again buddy, I don't know if you noticed, but your mushroom campaign is spreading, couldn't resist sticking some on the Barbarians base :D

And I think it's a cracking game, so there :P

:D

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 01:19:55 AM »
The soldier is a tricky one as far as the colours go. Similar issue with the assassin (green and magenta I recall). Good luck with the soldier's shield. I somehow managed to freehand it and haven't done anything that complex since! Wish the models were cheaper (it's not as if there aren't plenty on Ebay) to pick up as I'd love a full set and another crack at them.

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »
The soldier is a tricky one as far as the colours go. Similar issue with the assassin (green and magenta I recall). Good luck with the soldier's shield. I somehow managed to freehand it and haven't done anything that complex since! Wish the models were cheaper (it's not as if there aren't plenty on Ebay) to pick up as I'd love a full set and another crack at them.

I've managed to pick up a couple fairly cheaply through blind luck, but for the most part it's a pain in the bum, I only need the dwarf and warrior to complete the first set for example, but I've had to bow out of nearly a dozen auctions since last year because of the price of the buggers. They come up fairly regularly, it's just a case of hoping there isn't a big interest in them that particular week!! ;)

As for that shield... I have it sat in front of me since yesterday, and just can't bring myself to put a brush to the bugger yet ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:40:11 AM by Rochie »