Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Welcome to Mars! The British Explore Further  (Read 5079 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Welcome to Mars!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
covered in splodges of cheap emulsion in the right colours.

Sorry for the continued Spanish Inquisition, and, no, nobody expects it, but I wish a bit of clarification. Brushed or sponged? Not quite sure what 'cheap emulsion' means in the context, either.

Much less sturdy, but almost as interesting as cork board*, is sheets of bead styro, snapped in interesting shapes. The bead surface tends to flake off, but I've oft wondered if there wasn't a secret spray coating, perhaps aerosol Polyurethane, that could be applied sufficiently thick to keep it intact.

Never wondered with the result of testing, mind you. However, I did try small flame, and it leaves an interesting, if brittle, crust. I'm informed the fumes can be quite nasty to one's brain cells, though.

Also, I'm informed the fumes can be quite nasty to one's brain cells.

*which I find in many DIY shops, so Ikea isn't the only source, just be sure to also get the spray that neutralizes that SMELL...

Doug

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 08:40:30 PM »
Sorry for the continued Spanish Inquisition, and, no, nobody expects it, but I wish a bit of clarification. Brushed or sponged? Not quite sure what 'cheap emulsion' means in the context, either.

Much less sturdy, but almost as interesting as cork board*, is sheets of bead styro, snapped in interesting shapes. The bead surface tends to flake off, but I've oft wondered if there wasn't a secret spray coating, perhaps aerosol Polyurethane, that could be applied sufficiently thick to keep it intact.

Never wondered with the result of testing, mind you. However, I did try small flame, and it leaves an interesting, if brittle, crust. I'm informed the fumes can be quite nasty to one's brain cells, though.

Also, I'm informed the fumes can be quite nasty to one's brain cells.

*which I find in many DIY shops, so Ikea isn't the only source, just be sure to also get the spray that neutralizes that SMELL...

Doug

OK; I usually paint my beaded polystyrene with a mixture of poster-paint and PVA (White glue? Elmer's? I believe these are the most common terms on your side of the Atlantic). Works best with grey obviously, poster paint doesn't often come in earth-colours.

I also however (and this relates to another point) paint it with cheap emulsion. Can't say for sure, but my guess is when matt says 'cheap emulsion' he means little 'tester pots' of house-paint. Little pots... (housepaint comes in 'pots' in Nebraska, right?) that sell for about 60p (about a dollar?) that you use to test whether you like 'burnt stone' on your bedroom wall, or whether 'surprised honey' or 'autumn weasel' might not be better. The best time to get them is when they new ranges come out and you can buy dozens of last-season's version of 'sand', for pennies each.

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
Yeah, they are those tester pots you get in the DIY/hardware stores. By "splodge" I just loaded the brush up and slapped it on the mat. It helps to have a large cheap brush too (2or 3 inch). Just run it over the paint patch until you are dry brushing the areas around the splodge. That's it. Time consuming but worth it.

I have melted beaded polystyrene to get better shapes. I find that a coat or two of watered down PVA helps to harden beaded polystyrene.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
Thanks, both. I think we usually get them in steel 'pots', and I think can is the common term, but I'm not terribly in to house painting.

Also, the paint is usually referred to as acrylic or latex, so I'm still unclear as to which is your example.

I suppose if I knew the paints better, I'd figure it out.

Once tried house paint and a spray rig to paint large terrain I was building. Less said, the better...

Doug

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »
Me either!  :D The tops dont say what the paint is. They come in plastic pots here. I am guessing that it is acrylic as its water soluble and is intended for indoor use. 

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
Thanks, both. I think we usually get them in steel 'pots', and I think can is the common term, but I'm not terribly in to house painting.

Also, the paint is usually referred to as acrylic or latex, so I'm still unclear as to which is your example...

Big tins (or as you would say cans) here are still sometimes metal, but mostly plastic these days. Tester Pots are invariably plastic.

Yeah, as Matt says, whatever you'd use for indoor housepaint. Can you really not get little sample pots from hardware stores?

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Welcome to Mars! The British Explore further
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »
The British further explore Mars....

The canyons and ravines are impressive.

The canyons are made from floral foam. They where carved and shaped. Then coated in a paint PVA glue mix (50-50). They are rock hard.

There are smaller rock formations....

They are made from spray foam. The tops was shaved off and glued to CDs. Then a sand-PVA and paint mix was applied.

The full set.....

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 09:41:59 PM »
More strange things are found by the British expedition....

"I say! Look at these bones!"

"It looks like its been dead a while!"

"You dont think there are more of them around here do you sir?"

"Good Lord - No!"

"Look at these strange cactus things! Get samples for the doctor, no dont eat it Smith! They may be poisonous!"

Made from paper balls, putty and BB pellets.

"Look at these! Watch those spines! SMITH! Get that out of your mouth!"

These where inspired by Matakishi's alien plants. Polystyrene egg shapes chopped up and cocktail stick spines added.

"Do you think these are worth anything Sir?"

The crystal field is designed to give cover or slow down figures. I also plan a set of rules where the crystals have effects on those inside them. Maybe they will make them heal faster? Or maybe they will release a massive galvanic shock to the personnel in the field? Who knows. It will be fun though!  :P

"I say this looks rather Rum!"

I decided to make a oddball piece. Will the circle do anything? Is it a Martian place of worship? Or maybe its some sort of portal? Who knows?!

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: Welcome to Mars! The British Explore Further
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
I LIKE those plants!
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »
The rocks look very Martian.  :-*

I love the weird plants, fossils and crystalline features.  :-*

That last one is definitely some sort of a portal.  :D

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
Major Dennis Bloodnok AGG....
What's "AGG" for???

For the kiddies to ride on!!!
LONG LIVE THE GOONS....oh and the terrain is great too!!!

Pete
BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au