Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge Games Teutonic Knights Cavalry Review! New releases at Salute!  (Read 14216 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I view the blank shields (no raised detials) as a huge plus. Little Big Man does excellent shield transfers for those who can't freehand and I really HATE being limited to what the sculptor thinks is a good heraldic device.

Blank shields means you don't have to paint them as Teutonic order if you don't want.

My sentiments exactly  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
My sentiments exactly  :)

Whilst I loved some of the heraldry that the Perry's did on their Agincourt to Orleans range I did find myself sitting their filing it off on some miniatures, not an easy thing to do when it's on a tabard!!

On the other hand it was nice not to have to go bonkers with the old freehand on others but in the event my HYW English army ended up covering the Battle of Verneuil so the sculpted heraldry became superfluous in the end.

In summary, nice when it's exactly what you need, a nightmare when you have to file it away  o_o.

Darrell.

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
Really nice looking stuff.

I especially like the mix of helmets in the teutonic set, I'm not a huge fan of the extravagant ones but I know that's very much a personal thing.

Very interested in the more lightly armoured units as they would be perfect for all sorts of historical and fantasy stuff.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Really nice looking stuff.

I especially like the mix of helmets in the teutonic set, I'm not a huge fan of the extravagant ones but I know that's very much a personal thing.

Very interested in the more lightly armoured units as they would be perfect for all sorts of historical and fantasy stuff.

It's a funny thing..... the helmets crests on a knights helmet were made of very light materials so theoretically they could have been worn in battle. However, I think this to be very unlikey as they have the potential to get in the way in combat and that's really the last thing one would need!!

Still, it's not unfeasable that a general or other such VIP's on the battlefield might wear them as a sign of their authority. A possibility at most.

Darrell.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:38:38 AM by Atheling »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
The helmet decorations were more likely used in tournaments and ceremonies. Though on some depictions of the medieval battles the teuton knights are shown worn them, less as authority sign but hoping it would be intimidating.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
The helmet decorations were more likely used in tournaments and ceremonies. Though on some depictions of the medieval battles the teuton knights are shown worn them, less as authority sign but hoping it would be intimidating.

True, crests were worn in tornaments and certain ceremonies.

Still, mounted knights were intimidating enough to most soldiers of the period! They were kind of like the modern tank in some ways and were certainly not easy to kill, even by other knights with similar kit. It is for that reason that I think that if the crests were worn then they may well have been badges of authority as opposed to being sported to cause intimidation to the enemy. But hey, that's just my opinion and the Prof's is equally valid. The truth is that we just don't know.....

Darrell.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:39:34 AM by Atheling »

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
I have succesfully removed the horns and other stuff from the helmets to give me more choice for my order of Saint Lazarus. I have also used a Gripping Beast plastic Viking head (without helmet). And as the order of Saint Lazarus were knights with leprosy and were notorious (according to a source I fould) to go into battle without helmets to show their disfigured faces to scare the enemy, I have used a few mantic Ghoul heads and some zombie heads (I think GW of Wargames Factory) to represent that,
Pictures may follow later on,

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
some zombie heads (I think GW of Wargames Factory) to represent that,

:o

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I have succesfully removed the horns and other stuff from the helmets to give me more choice for my order of Saint Lazarus. I have also used a Gripping Beast plastic Viking head (without helmet). And as the order of Saint Lazarus were knights with leprosy and were notorious (according to a source I fould) to go into battle without helmets to show their disfigured faces to scare the enemy, I have used a few mantic Ghoul heads and some zombie heads (I think GW of Wargames Factory) to represent that,
Pictures may follow later on,

That sounds brilliant!  :)
The availability of so many plastic sets now, really does open up these fabulous opportunities for creative customisation.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
That sounds brilliant!  :)
The availability of so many plastic sets now, really does open up these fabulous opportunities for creative customisation.

A clever and funny idea. I see a shift in my attitude towards plastic wargaming miniatures  in the offing.

I did however read somewhere that the lepers in the order did not fight. Like the Hospitallers, the Lazarites had healthy knights protecting the ill.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:42:18 PM by Hammers »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
i'm very curious to see the zombie kìnights! it could be GREAT!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
I can concur what Hammers said - there is no evidence to suggest that the leprous knights actually saw action. That said, darned good idea with the zombie heads though Johan.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Again, i would love to see pictures, i'm TOO curious now! =) =)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
Does anybody know there are any plastic foot knights for sale? If not, what's some good metal ones other than the gripping beast option?

Thanks

Oh, just ordered three boxes of these mounted knights.......

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Does anybody know there are any plastic foot knights for sale? If not, what's some good metal ones other than the gripping beast option?

well, in 6 months or so there willl be the fireforge foot soldiers. otherwhise i've no idea... :-\