Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ViDe Sci-Fi!  (Read 33828 times)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: ViDe Sci-Fi!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »
The two things I'd most want out of a new generic Sci fi system would be:
A) A system for randomly generating  squads similar to that seen in the original rogue trader book. Players can select a race and then roll on a table to decide the composition of their force, in terms or armament, armour, heroes etc, they could then use any appropriate models from their collection.
B) A comprehensive points system that incompasses speacial abilities, equipment and vehicles/armour to allow players to set up balanced games

Offline Sevya

• Student
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:30 PM »
I'm going to agree with the vote of no tech trees.  If someone wants a low tech feel to their army, they can pick equipment that meets their definition of "low tech feel".  Tech level systems only really seem to fit one race/culture.

Something I would like to see is a range for squad size.  An ultra high tech army, with a lot of force multipliers, could probably get away with as few as 4 soldiers in a squad, while a mass mind army might want swarms of 15 or more in a "squad".  This sort of flexibility would be nice.

Sevya

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 07:57:48 AM »
The two things I'd most want out of a new generic Sci fi system would be:
A) A system for randomly generating  squads similar to that seen in the original rogue trader book. Players can select a race and then roll on a table to decide the composition of their force, in terms or armament, armour, heroes etc, they could then use any appropriate models from their collection.
B) A comprehensive points system that incompasses speacial abilities, equipment and vehicles/armour to allow players to set up balanced games
Well, A will not be included. Being also very interested in new models I come from the other side, I want to create a system that enables the player to see some cool new models (or older stuff from his lead pile) and then created the rules/ stats he needs to play.
B - That is planned.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »
I'm going to agree with the vote of no tech trees.  If someone wants a low tech feel to their army, they can pick equipment that meets their definition of "low tech feel".  Tech level systems only really seem to fit one race/culture.
Something I would like to see is a range for squad size.  An ultra high tech army, with a lot of force multipliers, could probably get away with as few as 4 soldiers in a squad, while a mass mind army might want swarms of 15 or more in a "squad".  This sort of flexibility would be nice.
Tech Trees will not be included. IMO not needed I trust the player that he picks appropriate things for his platoon. And if not, no big deal - as long as he has to pay the points costs...
Example: Player A wants a Fallout Force lead by some Power Armoured Enclave super-soldiers. HQ and 2 Squad Assets must be Super-soldiers armed with lasers, all the rest of the force is enslaved mutant rabble and street fighter pressed into service.
Two very different "Tech trees" in one force.
Squad size will start at minimum of 3 up to 20, totally up to the player!
I will soon post a sample squad to give you all an idea were I am heading...

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »

Squad size will start at minimum of 3 up to 20, totally up to the player!
I will soon post a sample squad to give you all an idea were I am heading...

Sounds great.  The way suppression is handled will tend to moderate the size of the units in most cases.  Large units can take a lot of fire before being shaken - but they don't cause as much suppression as two units half their size - like wise small units can get shaken with only a casualty or two!

Looking forward to a sample unit - and hey if you feel like listing a sample vehicle template - I'll be all over that!

-Tim

Offline Sevya

• Student
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
I had a thought on this project.  Perhaps this would be a good venue to play around with the suppression rules.  Heavily armored troops with a lot of confidence could have some resistance to suppression.  Hive mind creatures might be immune altogether.  A really aggressive species might get angry about being shot at, and suppression would have the opposite effect.  This would be an interesting way to work in alien psychology.

Sevya

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »
Suppression...
Right now I am planning to use the established Dedicated, Nerves of Steel Ability and add more.
Robots or Zombies (or anything similar) should be something like Emotionless or Mindless that ignore Suppression completely. Maybe give them another disadvantage instead - like an automatic response when being attacked or so.

Offline Sevya

• Student
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »
My friends and I were talking last night about Victory Decision.  Something we'd like to see in a general Science Fiction version would be ability to make stats for figures that are as close to the Starship Troopers wargame as the differences in the game systems will allow.

Sevya

Offline Last Chancer

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 03:34:37 AM »
Just read all the post. Really looking forward to this! 

Any eta for a release date?

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
I'm not sure if there is an ETA but Agis has recently wrapped up the Pacific War supplements for WWII, and according to his release schedule he's now onto the Gear Krieg/Sci-fi/Weird War realm of things!  Which is good because I'm almost done my current Xbox game and really will have some more time for minis!

-Tim

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
Marauder summed it up real good. 8)
Work on Gear Krieg has started, a free preview file will be released later this month!
BTW - Watch out for the 1st free May release tonight!!!

I hope to finish GK in July or August, after that SF! (It is all a bit vague right now since I have some HUGE changes in my "real life"(TM) work..)

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
Okay, so with the Gear Krieg preview we now have some walker rules.  I have to say I like them very much - makes them a nice blend between infantry and vehicles, but with a bit of awkwardness to account for their undeniably more vertical profile than a tank.

Agis, really nice that you did something special with them instead of like most games where walkers and tanks only differ by how they handle terrain!

Edit: fixed up a statement based on something i misread

-Tim

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:15:52 PM by Marauder »

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!

So, when's the party getting started Agis?   ;D

-Tim

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
Well it has already, I will soon show some nice models that will also be featured in the book and some of basic ideas. 8)

Offline Marauder

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
Well that's good news!  Fire away when you are ready.  8)