Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:52:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690503
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dan Dare, pilot of the future  (Read 2158 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Dan Dare, pilot of the future
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dodge
[quote@Big Guy
who is Dan Dare ,did I miss something !?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooh yes you did.

Dan Dare was a comic hero of the 50's and 60's and found if I'm not mistaken in the Eagle comic my Dad (who is now 60) loved it.

Made a comeback in the 80's when Eagle had a brief relaunch when I read some. His arch enemy was the Mekon a large brained green skinned alien.

Dodge[/quote]

Yes it was the Eagle.
There are some reprints of he original Dan Dare strips, and I noticed this Christmas that there was an Eagle annual in WHS (but I haven't got it so don't know the DD contect),
There was a "modernised" animated version a few years back which was ok but not as good as the original, although has some potential for games scenarios.
There was a very good book about the artwork "The Man Who Drew Tomorrow" which includes size comparisons of the different races plus lots of background detail.
If you want easy to find material. look at Spaceships Away, a new magazine in the original style :

http://spaceshipaway.org.uk/

I should probably put this as a seperate thread rather than hijacking this one.....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 11:42:33 AM »
Thanks  8)
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »
There was also a fairly recent (and fairly depressing) American-format 4-issue updating/re-invention of Dan Dare by comics author Grant Morrison called simply "Dare".

Quite good, but a rather heavy-handed political alegory and a bit of a kick in the teeth for fans of the original series...
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
There is a continuing new strip to be found here...

http://spaceshipaway.org.uk/

Grif Ingram was kind enough to mail me a couple of issues of Spaceships Away. It is really quite good for a 'fan magazine'

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »
It's not exactly 'some reprints' - Titan are republishing the adventures in their original Eagle format, nicely bound with hard covers and with interviews etc. included. They are issuing one book after the other, and have quite a range already.
Dan also appeared in 2000AD, in a series where he'd lost his memory and was found drifting on the wreckage from a spaceship by (of all people) the Mekon's minions. A nice touch in the artwork had an eagle emblem, identical to the logo of Eagle, painted on the piece of wreckage he was found on.

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 04:14:40 PM »
Quote from: "Heldrak"
Quite good, but a rather heavy-handed political alegory and a bit of a kick in the teeth for fans of the original series...

Thats Morrisson for you...

There is also a Garth Ennis mini-series with I think two issues out so far of which I have the first which is pretty good (and yes, Ennis even manages to mention WW2 in Dan Dare!)
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth