Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Man O'War  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
Man O'War
« on: January 13, 2008, 02:57:30 PM »
Don't know if anyone here remembers what could possibly have been Games Workshop's finest game (in my opinion) but this year I'm revisiting Man O'War.

To add to the ships I already have, I picked up a reptilian (think lizardman) fleet from Green Forest Trading at http://greenforesttradingco.com/ (his site can be a bit hit or miss and is offline a lot lately)

Having just finished it, I've now ordered an undead fleet from him!

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Man O'War
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »
These look great, the Temple boat is very cool.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Man O'War
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 03:39:52 PM »
Grand work, Auton - nice models too. They've just released an undead fleet as well.
I DO remember MoW - and I agree it's the best there was. Added advantage - it's the only game I was ever any good at, even when I thought my Skaven ships blew up on a single 6 rolled on 3 dice, instead of 2 6s!

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Man O'War
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:23:53 AM »
Man O' War was my very first min game ever.  Granted, the first time we played we only had the plastic ships from the box and a lot of coins, bottle caps, and such...but it got me interested in the hobby and became my favorite game from the time.

Years later (after I was an "acomplished" hobbiest) I picked it up again along with the 2 supplement boxed sets and scads of minis (a store was clearing out on them so I got them all at 50% off).  I built a bunch of islands and reefs and such...but couldn't get the current group to play it more than once  :cry: .

I sold the whole lot for $100 on eBay (along with the scratch built stuff)  :o Probably could get about $500 now.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Man O'War
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »
Got it, too... and both supplements + a lot of little, very expensive, metal ships I never got around to paint....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Man O'War
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
Got it, too... and both supplements + a lot of little, very expensive, metal ships I never got around to paint....

First mini I ever really painted (as in, took my time, primed, sealed, and used some painting tequniques instead of just slopping on some paint) was a Chaos Dwarf Man O War. :)

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
Man O'War
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:37:18 PM »
It's amazing how many people look back on this game. I never understood why it was never re-released..  :?

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Man O'War
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »
It's what got me started in minis, i never bought or played it tho but i used to stand in the toystore and just look at it and mighty empires and wish for them ended up buying twilight 2000 instead,:D

A bit older now and picked up a box on ebay for half a fortune, but i finally have the game:)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Man O'War
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »
Quote from: "Auton"
It's amazing how many people look back on this game. I never understood why it was never re-released..  :?

I'm guessing because it just doesn't have the same "dynamic" as the other games.  I mean, the figures are sort of boring to collect and paint...and once you buy your 3 or 4 boxed sets (for your fleet) you are done spending money (GW sacrilege!).

It would probably sell better (and be more practical) as a one-shot box set with tons of plastic ships (all the fleets), than as an actual miniature wargame.

While a fun game it just doesn’t have the kind of long term playability (and mini collectability) that other games have.

MHO only.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Man O'War
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »
Hmm...not a bad idea.  Sell it like the BoFA box set.
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=304571&orignav=304568&ParentID=254436&GameNav=300808

ManOWar was the second minis game I got into (after BloodBowl). I had fully painted fleets of Elves, Skaven, Chaos, Dark Elves, Dwarfs, and Empire.  I foolishy traded it all in the late 90's for three sets of the new shiny BattleFleet Gothic. I traded for three sets, so all my friends could play.  The kicker?  We never played BFG....