Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:38:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690693
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Dystopian Wars Miscellany - First pieces of a "Lagoon" Naval Base (p.3)  (Read 13113 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: A Dystopian Wars Miscellany
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
Greetings

aah .. another one bitten by the bug... I mean by the forces lurking beneath antartica.  :D It's interesting though as you are the first one (I know) who went for the antartica fleet. Most go, for whatever reasons, for the prussian fleet.

Must be the Tesla coils. I cannot get over the fact that (in our world) Tesla would only have been 14 in 1870. :) Also, I don't think the Prussian ship designs are as "spot on" as the other ones; I think they present an "uneasy" mix of 19th century and 1930s design styles, and it doesn't really work except on the dreadnought. But their Zeppelins are awesome.

Have you seen the official Antartica Poster ? I love your's way better than our japanese one.  lol

Ah yes... call me an art snob, but my FLGS proprietor offered me a complimentary poster of those TWICE, and twice I declined as I thought it so crummy that I even deleted the FREE PDF version from my drive.  lol

You have an interesting colourchoice.

Thanks. I briefly considered doing splinter camo, but decided it would not work with the smooth lines broken up by the spherical turrets and stuff. I finally settled for the lagoon blue base with brass accents based on a Necron army I painted as a commissions some 6 years ago to give them a "non-military", more "artisan" feel. Furthermore, I'd imagine they'd be able to camouflage a moving fleet using some "shroud" generators on a strategic level - not much use in an engagement, but to prevent discovery by recon planes.

Quote from: ianh
i agree not an obvious tournament game but, and this is very much my opinion, I actually reckon it is a great tournament game.

My rationale?  Well basically have played too many tournaments where power forces rule whatever you do.  What I really love about DW is that however powerful your force is on paper there is a chance that an exploding dice will rip your strategy apart.  That (and again it's just me) is the beauty how do you react to losing your prize ship against two snivelling corvettes in turn three of six.  To me that's a real test.  But I recognise for many it is not an obvious tournament game because of that!

After re-reading, I noticed that I didn't make my reasoning clear, so sorry about that - I fully agree with you, the exploding die is the great equalizer, yet the main problem I see is with the (fiddly at times) movement and turning rules, and the pre-measurements.

I've seen too many games of Classic Battletech on maps to underestimate what disputes and tedious manoeuvering this approach can yield. If you have a "friendly" tournament with people you know, I guess it won't be that much of a problem, but considering that the "ship centre point" actually isn't that clearly defined on most models, that might provoke quite some discussion with the more competitive type. That's one thing I would do if I ever start a Japanese fleet - I'd place a rising sun roundel on the centre point of any vessel that can accommodate it, as an aerial recognition sign, fluff-wise, and to aid manoeuvre and aiming, rules-wise.

On a power output level, I agree - some fleets may have an edge over the others, but the exploding dice tend to pull them down to an even field somewhat.

Offline ianh

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »
Hmmm interesting and useful insights.  I reckon the movement is sorted in the new book which specofies measurement points for movement.

On the pre-measuring point you are completely right.  I am thinking needs a little bit of thought before tournament playing.  Maybe a measurement phase strictly time limited before each turn or even a pre-measurement limit by number might be in order I don't know yet.

Have to say have had a few games where, wearing appropriate bacon and eggs caps, have revelled in measuring everything and making suitably tactical significant hmmm noises as if I might receive inspiration.  In a time limited game though can see that being a real pain.

Perhaps there is a balance to strike.  I think the leveller aspects outweigh the other bits personally but does need thinking aboout.  Chris you show much wisdom in your comments i need to mull over.  Thank you

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
Hmmm interesting and useful insights.  I reckon the movement is sorted in the new book which specofies measurement points for movement.

I agree, in theory, the system is sound, and the templates handle turning etc. quite nicely, but some of the issues can be problematic. For instance, the "measure turns from the centre point" works if you have a visible centre point, or a base marked in the centres of its long sides; but for unbased ships, it can become an issue.

On the pre-measuring point you are completely right.  I am thinking needs a little bit of thought before tournament playing.  Maybe a measurement phase strictly time limited before each turn or even a pre-measurement limit by number might be in order I don't know yet.

The problem with that, as I see it, is as to how to enforce it. I wonder if a time limit for squadron activations could be implemented, such as 5-10 minutes maximum, but again, this is going to be lawyeristic and formal, and might take the fun out of the game.

Have to say have had a few games where, wearing appropriate bacon and eggs caps, have revelled in measuring everything and making suitably tactical significant hmmm noises as if I might receive inspiration.  In a time limited game though can see that being a real pain.

It just drags on and on. I once witnessed a CBT game where a player (a bona-fide local anorak, I should point out) took about 10 minutes to move one of his mechs as he counted off hexes, trying to estimate his best options. The thing, again, is the type of players you come up against. In a local group, familiar with each other, it shouldn't be that bad.

Perhaps there is a balance to strike.  I think the leveller aspects outweigh the other bits personally but does need thinking aboout.  Chris you show much wisdom in your comments i need to mull over.  Thank you

I definitely do not want to discourage you, but I do have grave misgivings whether DW is really open-tournament-friendly. I also admit I might be paranoid, having played a local 40k tournament cycle for a couple of years, and that tended to bring out some of the worst kinds of people, even though it was conceived and billed as a friendly environment.

Where I think DW shines is the possibility to have a multiplayer game, and possibly a campaign day format. If you design decent missions, with specific objectives for each of the players, I am sure this could be a marvellous event. I am currently pondering ideas for a CoA/FSA mini-campaign which my brother and I intend to play in two weeks time, and I hope that one works out as I plan.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »

Yes, I have (but thanks for pointing it out) - not bad at all, and I had some Amera thingies in the past which I was rather happy with. That said, in the time it would take me to order (and receive) some of those items, I could build islands from styrofoam at a fraction of the price and with more haptic enjoyment (they are great though, and if I didn't have to order them but could get them in a store where I live, I would certainly get at least the island set).

Maybe I should clarify that I am not really stumped by the act of building the stuff, but rather deciding WHAT to build, and how - better to do them as islands or peninsulas, and/or as a four-part set that can either slot together to form a large-ish island or be placed on their own in corners... I tend to get caught up in the planning stages and then run out of time to actually build it.

But the main issue is the playing surface, and that is all done. The rest is window-dressing, and honestly I am not too fond of having naval scenery pieces unless they form part of the scenario. Looks a bit strange, IMHO. I'll admit, though, that in a game like Dystopian Wars, where you are not obliged to use "historical" formations and tactics, having LOS blockers is quite useful.

They can be beasts to work out, but I'm a fan of 'caught in the harbour', and I think the set looks perfect, wish (Edit: with) some special rules for fliers having to come around the mountain.

Doug
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:50:05 PM by The_Beast »

Offline ianh

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
You know Chris you might be completely right.  Rather than a pure tournament of head-to-head games a campaign day might well be the way to go albeit still competitive.

I would love, though, to find a way through the lawyers and perfectionists and also not to have time ideas cause there are loads of people with Caesium clocks timing to the thousandth of a session.

Maybe if we do the tournament there is an over-riding rule.  If the ref thinks you're being a c**k then you are and your battleship immediately sinks in a vortex that sucks your whole fleet with it into oblivion!

I jest

Offline Mr Evil

• Librarian
    • Evil Bear Wargames
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Ahhh i do so enjoy playing dystopian wars, and the new rule book ,, still hard to find some bits is far superior to the prevouse rendition.

Im currently loving the land battles..

great looking fleet :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: A Dystopian Wars Miscellany - Some scenery pieces p.2
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »
Hi all, some scenery pieces:

First, a rocky island with a CoA outpost. Not too happy with how the cupolas turned out, it's too futuristic, and a glass cupola framed in steel girderwork would have been better. Well, that's something for a future piece, then. :) The piece includes a pushlight from Poundland to illuminate it from the inside.

A volcanic island. This one also has a light source integrated, this time a flicker LED to illuminate the cloud from below. A bit weak, though, and therefore only really visible in dimmer ambient light. I like how the foliage worked out, though, and my only complaint with it is that I didn't have enough clump foliage left to cover the whole island surface right to the cliffs.

A little lighthouse made from model railroad printed brickwork sheet. Drastically overscale bricks, but they work with the Dystopian Wars design aesthetics (regarding planks et al). Slight irony: this one is NOT illuminated.

Some rocky cliffs, to work as LOS blockers on their own or to define a reef area as cornerpoints.

And a single-piece reef "template".

Thanks for looking, all!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:36:45 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: A Dystopian Wars Miscellany - Some scenery pieces p.2
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
Very nice, indeed!

'it's too futuristic' seems apropos of CoA, at least.

If I have a problem with DW models, it's that for most of them.  :-I

Doug

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: A Dystopian Wars Miscellany - CoA Dreadnought and an island in the sun
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »
So I painted up the dreadnought, which is a terrific piece of resin. I went for the all-energy turret loadout since it gives me decent long-range firepower and the option to link fire from the turrets and the broadsides at shorter distances.

Also, I painted up another little island, about 7" long and 1,5 high. More North Sea trouble rather than South Sea bubble, but it should work for any theatre of operations (except the polar regions proper).

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 03:22:50 PM »
 :-*

That is an impressive addition to a great looking fleet!

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »
When you’re on a golden sea
You don’t need no memory
Just a place to call your own
As we drift into the zone

;)

Cheers Chris, nice Atlanteans.. again!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »
Deceptive piece of scenery would be a Sargasso mass.... ships not traveling at high rate of speed could be "bogged" down ;)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 03:07:03 AM »
WOW! those are sweet!  :o :o :-* :-*

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »
Some little fortifications (Spartan Games resin pieces):

A lock I built for the campaign day we held today:

And my new aircraft carrier and aerial light cruisers:

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
That carrier is pretty spectacular but I must admit I'm drawn more to flying stuff like the light cruisers.

If they do more of that for each faction....  o_o