Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:24:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 17th/21st Lancers anywhere?  (Read 9677 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
17th/21st Lancers anywhere?
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
I was just looking through some ranges, but couldn't find some decent 28mm british lancers in nice charging poses. Even the Perrys don't have them (perhaps later?). Any suggestions from the experts here?
Thanks in advance ...
 :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: 17th/21st Lancers anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
What do you want 'em for? The 17th/21st didn't do much until they got their tanks. There's some inter-war colonial stuff out there, but not a whole hell of a lot.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »
Thinking about it, it is perfectly possible if you get the Great War Miniatures British early war cavalry (go for the lances option, obviously), chop their heads off and add Gripping Beast/Woodbine Wolseley helmet heads (which are available separately).

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:19:10 PM »
I feel kind of stupid for mentioning the Empress Miniatures 17th figures, as I have to presume you have already heard about them and deemed them unsuited for your needs.

Really, I feel like I'm missing something obvious... do you want figures to represent the merger of the regiments after WW1? This post being in Colonial Adventures is confusing me!

???
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
Yes, the 17th/21st were formed in the 1920s. What exactly are you after, period-wise, Admiral?

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. I was looking for lancer figures like those from the 17th or 21st. Both from their services in "colonial" theatres of war, like the 21st at Omdurman.

And no, Dr Mathias, I did not realize those gorgeous 17th from Empress. They must be quite new, are they?

Thanks for the info on the Great War Miniatures option, Plynkes. Will have a look at it. Could the Empress miniatures be used as 21st lancers in Sudan?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:26:51 PM »
At a pinch they may pass for the 1881-85 Campaign but not Omdurman etc i would have thought [even then we'd be pushing the envelope]

The Lancers look like they have the Plastron tunic [reversed to its blue colour on campaign]

I would quite like to be wrong then i could use them for the NWF (Malakand) and 2nd Boer War :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:39:56 PM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »
...17th from Empress. They must be quite new, are they?

Yes, they're one of the more recent releases, maybe 3-4 months ago? They're specifically for the 17th in the Anglo-Zulu War but I'm told they can be used as 9th Lancers in the 2nd Afghan War. I personally don't think they look quite right for Sudan though.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Great War Miniatures option, Plynkes. Will have a look at it. Could the Empress miniatures be used as 21st lancers in Sudan?
That info was because I thought you wanted to do 1920s 17th/21st in India. Not really suitable for 19th Century stuff (though with the right headgear conversion possibly more suitable than the Empress ones if you are doing 1890s). Anyway, sorry about the mix-up.

To use the Empress figures as 21st Lancers in 1890s Sudan is possible, but with heavy conversion. But the amount of work you would have to do would probably mean it's not worth it.

You need to go from this...

to this...

The 5th Royal Irish Lancers were involved in the Suakin campaign of 1885 in the Sudan. The Empress figures are more suitable for that, but I confess I do not know exactly what uniform they wore at the time. This picture shows them, but not from the front...

I have a bigger, clearer version in a book at home. They are wearing puggarees on their helmets and puttees on their legs, so you'd need to alter those two points of detail. Can't tell if they are wearing the plastron-fronted lancer jacket or not (though their jackets seem to be dark-coloured, not khaki), and they have ammo bandoleers which would need to be added, and appear to be wearing khaki trousers.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:05:12 PM by Plynkes »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »
9th Lancers for the 2nd Afghan War ...

http://www.britishbattles.com/second-afghan-war/kandahar.htm

One of my favourite periods; you can bung in all sorts of figures, Redcoats, Highlanders in khaki, Sikhs, Punjab Frontier Force ...

Offline Admiral Benbow

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
Many thanks for all the information, Plynkes and H.M.Stanley. I will definitely not convert the Empress miniatures to 21st Lancers, but like the idea to use them for the 9th Lancers in the 2nd Afghan War. Whatever, I need to get those brilliant Empress cavalry miniatures!

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
Probably not up to today's sculpting standards but I think Essex make 21st Lancers for Omdurman.

BTW, no British cavalry served in the Malakand campaign of the 1890's - only native regiments - except a small detachment from 4th Dragoon Guards that was involved in a very minor skirmish in late 1897 and the 16th Lancers' Maxim detachment as far as I know (always very happy to receive new info though).

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:00:21 AM »
Probably not up to today's sculpting standards but I think Essex make 21st Lancers for Omdurman.

BTW, no British cavalry served in the Malakand campaign of the 1890's - only native regiments - except a small detachment from 4th Dragoon Guards that was involved in a very minor skirmish in late 1897 and the 16th Lancers' Maxim detachment as far as I know (always very happy to receive new info though).

Ha ha - the comment was meant tongue in cheek, but i stand corrected  :D

I'm reading a library copy of Churchill's book, complete with maps, at the moment

The best thing about the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War, for me, is that i get to combine me Piffers with my friend's Sikh War troops [well,  the Sikhs anyway) and then realise that we don't have enough Tribes to fight

I need more Pathans ..  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »

To use the Empress figures as 21st Lancers in 1890s Sudan is possible, but with heavy conversion.

That's what I am going to use/do when I get around to it. Lovely, lovely poses. I wish there was a suitable crashing horse and rider to use as a suppression marker.

Just look at that nag turning its head to accommodate the lancers thrust...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »
Well I s'pose there's always Minifigs.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial