Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:55:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux Seamus, Pertida and custom objectives AAR  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Malifaux Seamus, Pertida and custom objectives AAR
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »
Played a game of Malifaux this weekend, it has been a couple of months since last time. Me and my opponent made it simple by making up easy victory conditions so we could focus on the rules for the units.

Basically there were 3 boxes of soulstones on the table, each worth 5 victory points if you hauled them to your deployment zone, points awarded at the end of the game.

You also got 10 victory points for killed masters, and killed minions were worth an equal amount of victory points to their soulstone cost.

I played my Resurrectionists, Seamus and his undead ladies of the night. My opponent ran the Guild and a Ortega family heavy crew.

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/03/malifaux-seamus-pertida-and-custom.html

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Malifaux Seamus, Pertida and custom objectives AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
Nice batrep!
I really like your use of proxy models from Westwind.  :-*

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
Thanks, the decision to use proxy models came early since the Resurrectionists need a ton of miniatures compared to the other factions imo. Lots of raising dead, creating new units on the table etc. Almost covered the whole Resurrectionist roster from the core rulebook with West Wind miniatures which cost my roughly 50% less.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 01:13:17 AM »
Really like the look of the game.
Great looking figures.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
This is one of my favorite rules sets. I'm a Henchman for the company (volunteer demo and tournament runner), which was a big deal for me as I'd NEVER wanted to do anything remotely like it.

Looks like you had a good time with this!

I can't wait to hear about what happens when you start adding Strategies and Schemes to your games. That's when I feel the game really shines.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »
This is one of my favorite rules sets. I'm a Henchman for the company (volunteer demo and tournament runner), which was a big deal for me as I'd NEVER wanted to do anything remotely like it.

Looks like you had a good time with this!

I can't wait to hear about what happens when you start adding Strategies and Schemes to your games. That's when I feel the game really shines.

Been playing the game for roughly 1 1/2 year, really like it - but sometimes it just gets a bit too much with all the special rules on every miniature for my taste. Never really feels like I know what the enemy units can do and some of the special rules/skills on my Resurrectionist just never seem to be worth using. I also think that the Malifaux universe is starting to suffer from a rules bloat with the 2nd expansion book with the Avatars (I won't get that book). Some faction matchups with specific Masters also seem to be poorly balanced to be honest.

However, the core rules and Rising Powers make for enjoyable games despite everything mentioned above. The game is rather unique and very different from everything else I also play. I just wish Wyrd would calm down with the releases of rules and new units - I have honestly lost touch with all their Errata/FAQ documents and pretty much play it as written in the rulebooks with my friend. Else it becomes way too overwhelming for an otherwise fastpaced and small scale skirmish game. Now as mentioned, I play half a dozen other miniature wargames and have another half a dozen resting on the shelves – I guess if you focus solely on Malifaux you can get past all that. But if you are like me and pick up the game from time to time it is almost impossible to be up to date with all the changes and fixes.

The Puppet wars boardgame has me very interested though, and I read something about a potential RPG - I think that's a great idea for Wyrd to explore into different areas of gaming instead of cramming even more content into the miniature game.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »
Some great replacement miniatures there, Anatoli!
 :-*

Where does the woman (?!?) in the lovely bright dress come form (Second pic)?

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
That would be an original Wyrd model, Abuella Ortega IIRC  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »
That would be an original Wyrd model, Abuella Ortega IIRC  :)

Thanks!

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »
I really like the latest expansion book. I like the models other than Avatars, and even they seem kind of interesting.

I have to say, I think the balancing point in Malifaux isn't crew against crew, it's your ability to use your crew to accumulate points versus your opponent's ability to use his or her crew to accumulate points. I've played the "bad" match ups, and done just fine. I really don't worry about them, even when I'm told I'm playing an automatically losing fight.

I LOVE Puppet Wars! It's a very different experience from Malifaux. It's definitely NOT a watered down version, it's a great hybrid of a minis and a board game.

Offline Geckilian

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
Very nice painting and batrep there!

About the balance issue, it's really down to how the match set up is designed. You only have to pick a faction, then you find out the main strategy. At that point the ability to pick any of the faction's masters greatly helps, as you can tailor your list to the scenario and the schemes you want to go for. I've had many games with a 'poor' Master against a supposedly auto-win master, and pulled out wins from simply going for objectives and damage control. It's greatly entertaining to win 8-0 with no models on the table at the end of the game. It certainly makes the game play quite differently from some other skirmishes I play.