Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: One Man's 10mm Fantasy Project [Updated July 6]  (Read 12193 times)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
One Man's 10mm Fantasy Project [Updated July 6]
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »
After months of wavering, I finally determined that my next big project would be a return to my roots.  Having sold off an extensive collection of 25mm fantasy figures when the stork started his visits to the Abox house, I decided to rebuild my collection.  With the anklebiters consuming much of my time, the only rational thing to do was step down in scale to 10mm.  Faster to paint, easier to store, the only downside is having to order from the UK, and in this modern world, that's not such a hurdle.

Okay, enough with the backstory, let's see those miniatures.  Well, so far all I've got to show is an initial test batch of Copplestone's orcs.  My first experience with GW's magic bottle of Devlan Mud turned out very well:

While waiting for the long shipping time from the UK (7 whole days, how did I manage?), I banged out a few terrain tiles slash dungeon halls for the collection of monsters to call home.  A small sewer scape and forgotten tomb were the first order of business:

I'll just keep adding pictures to this thread as I add to the collection.  Thanks for checking in.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:35:25 PM by Warren Abox »

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
Re: One Man's 10mm Fantasy Project
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
Looking very nice.
I considered doing the same thing for the same reasons but never got around to it.

I look forward to seeing more.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »
I will be following your thread. I've been thinking of doing a similar project myself to go with Warrior Heroes Armies & Adventurers, as inspired by BlackSmith's campaign :D

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:26:42 PM »
Have you gotten the bad guys 'hero' set? There's some more fun figures in there. ;)

That's looking pretty good otherwsie!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
Not yet.  A lot of those figures are mounted or big monster, and I'm starting out strictly dimounted skirmish for now.  I did order a bunch of figs from Pendraken and Irregular, though.  Oh, and I did get the good guys set:

The guy on the right is a Faramir analog, but I converted him into a fire wizard by cutting his sword into a torch and glueing a 'gem' onto the end of his straightened bow.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:20:14 PM by Warren Abox »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
I'm really impressed by the sculpting and painting. They looks more like heroic 15mm. I didn't know that such details can be done on this scale.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
Nice start. It's good to see an increase in WHAA in 10mm.
I'll be following your blog too.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »
Lovely minis!
I'd also recommend you to have a look at Eureka's 10mm Fantasy line. You can buy them in UK at http://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/fantasy-144-c.asp
10mm is good and with WHAA double good. I'll also be following your blog.

*Edited: what are you using as bases?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:22:39 PM by blacksmith »

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »
I bought a box of steel washers approximately 12mm in diameter and glue the minis directly onto them.  That way I can store them in a box lined with magnetic paper.  I'm also using a 15mm grid for the games, so they fit perfectly inside.

I love the look of the Eureka miniatures, but I'm planning to hold off on them until I get everything I need from places that will sell figs in lots of less than a dozen.  Since I'm planning on skirmish gaming, a bag of 30 figures is just overkill for the table, to say nothing of my wallet.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »
I love the look of the Eureka miniatures, but I'm planning to hold off on them until I get everything I need from places that will sell figs in lots of less than a dozen.  Since I'm planning on skirmish gaming, a bag of 30 figures is just overkill for the table, to say nothing of my wallet.

I'm with you there. I do like the look of some of the Eureka figures but I'm not spending out that much when I only need four or five.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
10mm is a very nice scale because it is very easy to store large amounts of terrain and miniatures while also having good enough detail to differentiate between different models. I think your dungeon needs some of the monsters from the Pendraken 10mm dungeon range :)

Also, washers are definitely the way to go. I used 10mm diameter/ 1mm high ones for some modern soldiers.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »
I think your dungeon needs some of the monsters from the Pendraken 10mm dungeon range :)

I think so too, that's why I've got two separate orders headed my way: one with ratmen and heroes, and the other with skellies, anubis guards, and more heroes.  I feel like the kid in A Christmas Story, checking the mailbox every day waiting for his decoder ring.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »

You're right but Eureka has a lot of variety of poses in each blister, almost a third part of the figures are different. Therefore, if you manage to buy a blister, pick up the figures you want and then sell the rest (I did that) it won't be so expensive and you can have great warbands for skirmish like these mine: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com.es/2010/07/painted-10mm-eurekas-chaos-dwarfs.html

Another possibility that I commented on your blog is buying GW's Warmaster Command blisters. They can be found on Ebay at cheaper prices than new, and all of them include heroes, generals and wizards; so you can have characterful figures from every race: dwarfs, humans (Empire and Bretonnian), skellies, Orcs and gobbos, Elves, etc.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
At this point it seems like a cliches to say that Irregular Miniatures don't look like much, but they paint up nice.  I thought a demonstration might be in order.  So here are a couple of before and after shots of their dwarves:

(I cut the pointy bit off the guy on the left.  He's labelled as a king, but he's just another mercenary dungeon plunderer in my games.)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
And here's a comparison of their Crusader/Feudal Dismounted Knights:

Honestly, the knights don't have enough of a 'face' for me to use them as heroes in a skirmish game, but as mooks or even line troops in a massed battle, they'd work great.