Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:26:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

They approach (Braxandur) vs. Retiarii (LeadAsbestos)

They approach (Braxandur)
96 (30.7%)
Retiarii (LeadAsbestos)
217 (69.3%)

Total Members Voted: 308

Voting closed: April 01, 2012, 09:41:53 AM

Author Topic: Round 4 - They approach vs. Retiarii  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 4 - They approach vs. Retiarii
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Round 4 - They approach vs. Retiarii
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:12:41 AM »
Well, technically it should read Retiarii and a Laquerarius, but who is checking anyway? ;)

Nice Ringwraiths! Does this mean you have more LOTR for next round?

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
Nice gladiators. Just curious though, why the red stripes on the bases? I guess it's for a game, but which one. Still looking for a nice one and not really convinced by the ones I have. Especially Warhammer Historical's offering, which is good as eye candy and for the scenario's but not as a rules set imho. So fat Gladiator Wars looks the most promising to me, but also never played that one... :(

There might be a few more LOTR models next round. After all, what it the use of approaching, if there is no one to approach ;)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
 ???
Hey Brax, why didn't you save those for the LOTR round? Ringwraiths definatly count
Quality has a quantity of its own
FIAWOL!
Br549

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
nice work on both.

I was curious about the gladiator bases too. maybe a way to use them in a hex base system without needing hex bases?

I keep thinking of poker chips though, which is probably appropriate as people bet on their lives ;)
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
???
Hey Brax, why didn't you save those for the LOTR round? Ringwraiths definatly count

They certainly do! But RL is actually not giving me a lot of time at the moment and I am still  trying to enter a new group every round. So while I might miss 10 bonus points next round for this team, I would have missed those as well if I did not post anything new. I'm still trying to get new eye candy online every round, but it might prove difficult later on :(

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:07:19 AM »
Brax, wonderful atmospheric job on the shading of the ringwraiths.  You can almost hear the soundtrack play when you look at them. A true instruction in how to make all-black garb look awesome...

And I'm with you on the keeping up, round by round. I have an emergency entry that I painted but ended up not liking enough to make my Week 3. So, it is waiting in the wings in case I don't finish one week's project.

Mike Demana

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
Gladiator bases were done for Red Sand, Blue Sky,  the original edition where facings were important. The new RSBS: Heroes of the Arena uses a different system, but a big pile of my collection was done this way, so I stuck with it!

Fun game, fast and satisfying. :)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:34:15 AM »
Good job both of you guys!

So while I might miss 10 bonus points next round for this team, I would have missed those as well if I did not post anything new.
If you enter these as round 5 team 2 you'll get the full 30 bonus points according to the current rulings. I asked a question about this in the rules thread before the competition started. If team 1 is newly painted you get bonus for that (10 pts), if it's Tolkien themed you get bonus for that (another 10 pts) and finally if you have a second team of Tolkien opponents for your first team you get a final 10 points for that regardless if they're newly painted or not. Bending the rules and spirit a bit, but "legal".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:37:13 AM by phreedh »
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »
Good job both of you guys!
If you enter these as round 5 team 2 you'll get the full 30 bonus points according to the current rulings. I asked a question about this in the rules thread before the competition started. If team 1 is newly painted you get bonus for that (10 pts), if it's Tolkien themed you get bonus for that (another 10 pts) and finally if you have a second team of Tolkien opponents for your first team you get a final 10 points for that regardless if they're newly painted or not. Bending the rules and spirit a bit, but "legal".

Yeah, I saw that post, which is also a reason I started painting in this order
Could not find the ruling back though when I did send these out..  Well, I'll just see what happens   ;)
2 more solid nights of painting...  Still have to see if the next group makes it. Don't even want to think about round 10 yet  o_o

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »
Great work on those Wraiths Braxandur, very nice and the highlighting on the edges makes the cloaks look a bit frayed, very fitting. The Gladiators are very nice as well, nice clean painting.

As phreedh explained you can still use this team for full bonus points (20 points for two teams) and get the newly painted bonus if at least five models are newly painted.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins