Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules comparisons  (Read 1420 times)

workerBee

Rules comparisons
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »
One fellow gamer uses early (keeps it simple) Ambush Alley and another fellow war gamer argues for Too Fat Lardies rules.

Leaving aside asymmetrical   versus symmetrical   warfare and WW2 versus modern, what are the advantages and disadvantages of these two rules systems? 

WorkerBee

Offline cstoesen

• Scientist
    • Wargamers Odds and Ends
Re: Rules comparisons
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31:31 AM »
I can't offer a comparison as I have never played nor even read the Ambush Alley stuff.

But as for the TFL games, you have options.  For Vietnam Games, there is Charlie Don't Surf which is set at a company level.  For Africa, there is B'Masao (I probably spelled that wrong).  For Lebanon '82 there is Rock the Casbah.  Both B'Masao and Rock the Casbah can be used at either a company sized game or a platoon sized game.  All utilize a blinds system to allow for hidden movement.  All have mechanisms for handling irregular troops.  All utilize a card activation system with built in friction (this is probably the one mechanism that people either love or hate).  They are well supported from their yahoo group and scenarios are regularly published for them in the various specials.

I like them because they are an open tool set that you can customize as you see fit.  They really allow for the flavor of the period and I think they are great fun.

Then again, I am a bit biased as I wrote Rock the Casbah.

Chris Stoesen
Chris Stoesen

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:58 AM »
I may be pointing out the obvious, but the rules Chris mentions - B'Masao and Rock The Casbah are supplements for I Ain't Been Shot Mum (Company) and/or Troops, Weapons and Tactics (Platoon), while Charlie Don't Surf is a stand alone set. Good rules, using a very similar system. Some folk don't like that a turn can end abruptly and before every unit has been activated. To me this a strength of the rules though as opposed to the plodding 'move everything, shoot everything' sort of games. The games are reliant on 'Big Men' - the force's leaders and good use of your commanders can make a big difference.

Force on Force: Ambush Alley is as good, but different. While you can happily play with the core rules, the supplements like Ambush Valley (Vietnam) and the forthcoming Bush Wars, add more flavour to the basic game, specific to what conflict they cover. The rules use the 3-5 man fire team as the basic unit and work from this up to a company sized unit, although they struggle to give a flowing game once you get to that level imo. Training, Confidence and Morale are the integral factors defining your troops here and the rules don't get too hung up on individual weapons load outs... the man not the weapon is the key factor. Shooting and moving is done by fire team and against fire team. Gaining the initiative in any contact is important and troop quality comes into its own here.

Between the two games I'd be hard pushed to say either is a better set, they're both good at what they do. FoF gets slammed by some people, as some of its mechanisms can be hard to grasp at first and they try to play it like other rules they own, which doesn't work oddly. If you know guys who have them both, why not try out a game with both? See how they fit you for size? I have both and wouldn't be without either... I don't use any other rules for this era and level of game.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »
I have played a moderate number of games using Ambush Ally (original set a fellow has) and it has been enjoyable and often tense... "HOW many show up??"   :o :o :o

I know people locally have the TFL rules and talk them up well but - so far - not a chance to play them.
I believe there is a local con coming up in a few months.  Maybe then...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!