Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:40:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690461
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Silflor pseudo review  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
Silflor pseudo review
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:13:51 AM »
The Gibbon got his tufts in the mail so here are some photos with a bit of info. I ordered from Scenery Express here in the U.S. They arrived promptly, as they should have after paying something like 8.50 for shipping. I ordered two boxes of tufts, summer green and autmun tone, at 21.99 per box, a bit steep but I was excited to have easy and hyper realisitic grass effects on my bases. Scenery Express threw in a pair of tweezers with a little magnifying glass attached.

Pull it out of the box and you have the two 6x9 sheets described in the add on the Scenery Express website. Supposedly one sheet is comprised of 2mm-4mm and the other is 4mm-6mm but I couldn't really tell any difference.

A high fiddly factor has been mentioned in working with these tufts and while manipulating them is nothing like the ordeal of something like decals, it certainly is tougher than dunking a fig's base into a tub of static grass.  

Here you can get an idea of the size. One thing I'll be keeping in mind when I start to use them is that the tuft will need to sit flush on the base, one wouldn't want one end of the tuft sticking out or up or whatever because of stuff on the base. So, when I'm laying my sand and rocks on the base I plan to use a fine grit sand and be conscious that a tuft or two will need a little room somewhere. There is some flexibility there too, with smaller tufts or perhaps pulling a larger one apart.

Pretty soon I'm going to start using them on some warbands but for now I just stuck one on a already finished base of a Crusader Viking I did a couple months ago. Right next to Fancy Sven's right foot is a tuft.

Nothing too mind blowing but I really like it. The example isn't great but in the future when I'm doing bases with the tufts in mind beforehand I'll be using them to full effect.

Hope this helps other curious primates.

[/img]

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Silflor pseudo review
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:58:05 AM »
It looks very nice:)

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
Silflor pseudo review
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:11:54 AM »
Steep price, but it looks very nice, and looks as if there's enough for plenty of figures

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Silflor pseudo review
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
Looking good. I kinow you did your trial on already based figures, but generally I find it works best when used on its own rather than with other static grass.
Antenociti is bringing in a two-tone version which I have not sen before. It takes a bit of getting used to. The best examples I have seen of the tufts in action is on Dave Rowbothom's figures http://www.thecourtjestersstudio.com/gallery/Blackhat.html
Here is one of Dave's figures

Pat

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Silflor pseudo review
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
agree, looks good.

btw, impressive work on the vikings, too  8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Silflor pseudo review
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:03 PM »
Hmmm.  I remember seeing something like this a long time back and I was thinking they would be ideal for creating a marsh land piece of scenery. They still do so I think I am about to go shopping.

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
Silflor pseudo review
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:40:51 AM »
OldSchool, thanks for the link with the better examples. You're absolutley right, for max impact they need center stage. I already started basing my latest efforts, that goat man warband, because I just couldn't wait. I've stuck on a tuft or two on their already done bases but next thing I do will definitely be all Silflor.

Hammershield, that's exactly what I was thinking. Next time I'm in the local game store I hope they have that GW LOTR blister of dead marshes guys. The tufts with some water effects would be socko.

Prof., Thanks for the compliments. Your site, along with Tom Wiess', and Agis' site are the examples that I try to ape.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Silflor pseudo review
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
Thanks for the review Sky. I may go ahead and pick up some of the longer tufts and maybe we can trade some.