Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Hood's Boy's"  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
"Hood's Boy's"
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
Re: "Hood's Boy's"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »
very nice!! you have been busy as well! very inspiring to see such a huge unit

can I ask what colors you use for butternut?
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »
very nice!! you have been busy as well! very inspiring to see such a huge unit

can I ask what colors you use for butternut?

I start with Vallejo Yellow ocher...Iraqi sand and then dark sand

But you will see the many variants in the butternut colors I use, I took me some time to find the shades I was looking for to accomplish this. You simply have to just play with the paint, this style comes from me utillizing as much of the paint I have on my pellet so to not waist any of it and simply put, I find somewhere to use it ( you can always find an area on the mini to compliment another color with the color that is being used ).. When I was in the millitary especialy out in the field.....uniforms fade to all differrent shades even in the same company deployed at the same time.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:40:28 AM by Painter Jim »

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
What ever size of the unit I am purchasing from the manufacturers always get painted at the same time, it is the way I have always painted.

Offline ZuluPaul

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »
Very nice, I've always liked the varied colors on my rebels, even if it may not be historically accurate.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
Looking good

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
Very nice, I've always liked the varied colors on my rebels, even if it may not be historically accurate.

Varied colors on your "Rebs" is the most accurate thing you could do for them!...lol! I have been painting ACW for over 20 years and have seen many original uniforms. Even the "regulation" uniforms are hardly uniform as the confederate side of war production was largely produced by small factories or "cottage" industries resulting in HUGE differences in color and even design of uniforms. Many of the rank and file had uniforms produced locally and as the war progressed wore replacement items that were scrounged from the battlefield, sent from home, or even picked up from dead enemy soldiers. Last summer I was lucky enough to spend some time in the museum of the Confederacy in Richmond Virgina where they have a huge assortment of uniforms including almost every confederate major generals uniform and one is struck with the lack of uniformity in any of these pieces!

I paint some of my rebel units along these lines, varied, others I like to portray as if they just stepped off their first parade ground, all decked out as intended. Not completely accurate but not unreal.

What ever size of the unit I am purchasing from the manufacturers always get painted at the same time, it is the way I have always painted.

Wow, good for you! I knew there was at least one person out there who did this! I on the other hand have a lead / project mountain so large that I no longer have any chance of finishing it in my lifetime! In fact most of my current shopping is done by simply going through drawers, boxes, and shelves and discovering some great stuff purchased long ago to paint. I have always tried to pick up figures I liked when I saw them in case they became unavailable later.

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
Unit painting of course being referred to a batch of around 21 or so with command but does include that batch purchased from the manufacturer, I seem to now just paint them in the order recieved upon purchase, as thier is a whole pile of ACW 15's that have yet to see the brush and I have been trying to develop a more disciplined painting style. I have now moved on to the dixons. I just didnt have the energy for replying to the Non-Historical look comment and you summed it up quite well...thanks. One aspect of painting the Confederacy and probalbly the popularity and alure is the more of a sense of modern barberic look they portray, not only that but that their is so many variables in their look and can be painted for early,mid or late war.

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
Varied colors on your "Rebs" is the most accurate thing you could do for them!...lol! I have been painting ACW for over 20 years and have seen many original uniforms. Even the "regulation" uniforms are hardly uniform as the confederate side of war production was largely produced by small factories or "cottage" industries resulting in HUGE differences in color and even design of uniforms. Many of the rank and file had uniforms produced locally and as the war progressed wore replacement items that were scrounged from the battlefield, sent from home, or even picked up from dead enemy soldiers. Last summer I was lucky enough to spend some time in the museum of the Confederacy in Richmond Virgina where they have a huge assortment of uniforms including almost every confederate major generals uniform and one is struck with the lack of uniformity in any of these pieces!

I paint some of my rebel units along these lines, varied, others I like to portray as if they just stepped off their first parade ground, all decked out as intended. Not completely accurate but not unreal.

hear hear, Confederate uniformity is perhaps an even bigger myth (that has been busted) than Confederate raggedness  8)