Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blackfeather Vega  (Read 8518 times)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »
wow just wow  :o  :love:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »
The scale looks just about perfect!

Do you recall the brand/packaging on the model that you bought at the consignment store? The scale that was quoted? (1/48 etc.).

There are a lot of Lockheed Vega models up on eBay at the moment, but most of them seem to have a smooth engine cowling (yours looks much cooler with the exposed engine).
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »
Quote from: "Heldrak"
The scale looks just about perfect!

Do you recall the brand/packaging on the model that you bought at the consignment store? The scale that was quoted? (1/48 etc.).

There are a lot of Lockheed Vega models up on eBay at the moment, but most of them seem to have a smooth engine cowling (yours looks much cooler with the exposed engine).

This one was out of the package but I suspect it had an engine cowling as every other similar plane I've seen on ebay had a cowling.  It's just a bit larger than 1/48th but it looks pretty good anyway.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 12:20:57 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  Time for more updates.

Started working on the engine.  I drybrushed the engine then painted the propeller and nose cone.  

After that I only had one major detail left other than the wheels which I'm painting at the very end because of their tendency to get stuff on them.  

I did a bit of research on registration numbers then promptly forgot the information.  I think it should read NC-2875 but for some reason or the other I forgot that when I got started and just used N-2875.  It's not really enough of an error to go back and fix as far as I'm concerned.  I basically did a carbon transfer from a print out of the numbers.

I made my own transfer by using a stick of willow charcoal to cover the back of the printout with black carbon.  You can use pencil but charcoal won't blead through the paint like graphite will.

It's hard to see the transfer in these photos but it came out very clear.  To make the transfer you just tape the paper down lightly and trace the image you want to transfer.  

After I made the transfer I just painted in the letters.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 12:35:12 AM »

Ok now I'm down to weathering and paint detailing.  I'm not really sure how to go about it.  A few months ago I did the truck pictured here using almost exactly the same methods that I have with this plane but the truck has a low more surface detail whereas the plane has large smooth surfaces.  

I went ahead and did a light wash which did help enhance the details but it also just looks a bit muddled in some places.  Then again I want the plane to look in use but well maintained so a bit a gunk is ok.  I'm at the point now where I need decide about highlighting and other weathering techniques but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 12:55:26 AM »

Here's Amelia Earhart next to her Vega.  Even accounting for her height you can see how tall my vega is compaired to the real thing.  Also the windows and doors are somewhat larger on the model.  Still I think it's a pretty nice match for game use.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 01:15:23 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the size. It'll do fine.

I think a very light touch is in order with the weathering and such. Just a tiny bit here and there. Like you said, you want it to look maintained, yet in use, but don't want it to look like it's been abandoned for scrap.

Tread lightly, my friend. To be honest I would probably chicken out and leave it as it is if it were mine. It looks great right now, and I'd hate to ruin it. Looked-after planes don't tend to look shabby, but pristine, after all. Maybe a tiny hint of use like a bit of stray oil or something? Light catching on those blue windows, maybe?

Perhaps some woodgrain on the prop? That's not too hard to do and can look really nice sometimes.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 03:39:20 AM »
I love it. What role will it play in your games?

You might be able to get some subtle weathering effects with pastel chalks. Grind them up, dab on with a nice fluffy brush and then work it in. Seal the model first and go really slow. When you think it might need a little more, put it down and look at something else for a bit, then take another look. If you don't like it you can gently daub it off with something moist. When you're happy, give it a couple very light coats of dulcote or whatever you are using.

As for highlighting, best of luck, big, broad, flat areas are a such a pain. Sometimes I like to stipple highlights on areas like that but that might not be smooth and slick looking enough for a sexy Vega.

Here's what I mean:

This speeder from the collectible star wars set was done up by the Gibbon with both weathering and stippling. I wanted it to look beaten up so the natural, somewhat irregular look of the stippling was good. Its a fun technique to do. For me, though, if that was my Vega and that far along, I'd probably stop there and not run the risk of the messing up those fantastic lines and of course the yellow borders, top notch!

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 06:06:26 AM »
She really is a beaut' :love:  :love:  :love:

My only suggestion would be perhaps a darker outline around the window insets and the doorframe...

Offline Mogimbu

• Bookworm
    • http://www.1stairborne.com/
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »
Heldrak makes a good point.  Maybe outlining the doors, windows, and some panel lines with a technical pen would add to the realism, and help sell the scale.  

In any case, she's very inspiring!
So you started a military Coup,
I'm sorry it only back-fired on you.
Mogimbu

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 11:09:10 PM »
If I want to put some weathering on something, I always dig out my 'Special Cocktail' consisting of VMC Transparent Blue and VGC Smoke. Mix until greenish in appearance. Add some Future Floor Wax to it and thin to desired consistency.

When I use this mixture on large, flat surfaces, I found it best to wet them with distilled water using a very finely diffusing(Is that the correct term?) refillable spray bottle.

On certain areas, I would drybrush VERY LIGHTY with VMC Khaki Grey.

If You try this, please do it VERY carefully, because Your model already looks THAT nice!!!
  :o  :o

Edit: Try the 'Special Cocktail' on the engine, I will not do any harm on metallic surfaces; works extremely well on weapons an armour as well!
Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 12:11:45 AM »
Well I chickened out on doing much weathering.  I mostly focused on the windows and the door.  The propeller turned out pretty good.  I'm thinking I'm stopping here for now so here are a couple finished shots.  I'll do some better shots either tomorrow or this weekend and post them in the Pulp section.  

Not bad for a four day project I guess.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 12:32:58 AM »
That grain on the prop looks first class and the yellow markings really make the whole thing come together.  Great looking plane.   :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 01:00:26 AM »
Very nicely done. The whole thing is quite classy looking.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Blackfeather Vega
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »
That is excellent. I love the colours and the detail you've added is top notch.

Well done that man.