Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: All Things Zombie  (Read 2750 times)

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
All Things Zombie
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
Hey all,

like most, I've homecooked my own zombie rules, but I hear a lot of talk of ATZ. I understand you can play it coop with all of the players working against the game controlled zombies.  That sounds very cool, but how does it work?

Also, is the campaign system any good?

Thanks!

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
All Things Zombie
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:22:29 PM »
you can find Chain Reaction 2 for free here http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/cr2.htm  and free attibutes for ATZ here http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/files/CR2-ATZ.pdf.
ATZ is more on zombies, but you can find zombie rules in CR2 ... I use it for solo WG and it works very well.
Ciao from Lake Bracciano

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
All Things Zombie
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »
Another free great ruleset (that got me hooked on the zed-craze) is Dead walk Again.

It is constructed for cooperative play and/or solo play.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
All Things Zombie
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »
How does co-op work?
Generally depending on the scenario, the survivors have some objective(s) that they have to achieve.  What they do trying to achieve those goals is often what gets more zombies on the board.  Shooting guns, driving a car or leaving it running, walking into buildings are all things that have a chance of bringing more zombies on the board (determined by die rolls).  If the survivors are not already in view of the zombies then you move them the location of the original sound, but eventually the zombies will see the survivors and head towards their next dinner.  Also, if you happen to run into other survivors who decide not to be friendly their actions are also determined by the game mechanics.  "In sight" tests determine if they'll shoot at you when one of your survivors comes into view of these non-friendly survivors.  During the gunfight someone will eventually be forced to seek cover or be put out of action.  Usually the players can determine the most logical actions of the NPC's anyway.  "Your guy is closest and he's in line of sight so I think he'd shoot at you."..."Yeah, I agree."

Campaign
I haven't played the campaign yet as I'm still painting zombies.  The campaign covers a rather long time period (20 years maybe?...I can't remember) and during the various stages of the epidemic you are more likely to encounter zombies or other survivors.  The scenarios can be rolled up to determine what happens to your survivors, or you can pick one you like in the interest of making the story go the way you want it to.  A long the way you might meet other survivors and convince them to join your group.  During the campaign you can gain points to improve the members of your group.  Sorry I can't elaborate more because I've only read the rules and haven't actually played a campaign yet.

On a side note, I also play Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory, another game by Two Hour Wargames and I'm currently playing a co-op campaign with my cousin.  It's pretty fun so far (just make sure you have some cover to hide behind!).

Rodney