Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:02:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690598
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jungle natives  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Jungle natives
« on: January 23, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
I am getting ready to run a miniatures heavy Mutants and Masterminds Pulp game, and I was looking recommendations on either South American natives or African natives. So far, I seem to be stuck with either the Darkest Africa from Foundry, or Copplestone's amazon tribes. Are there any other good ones out there?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Jungle natives
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:51:04 AM »
Brigade Games makes some Javaro Headhunters under their Caribbean Empires range. These are cool especially because they have blowpipes, which I haven't seen in any of the other ranges.

Old Glory has some nice-looking African natives with masks, and some Caribbean ones as well under their pirate range. Being Old Glory they're probably quite small.

Personally I find the Copplestone ones very good. Don't forget Copplestone also makes African natives.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Jungle natives
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:01:23 AM »
I agree with Rhoderic. I wouldn't consider my self "stuck with" Copplestone if I had those Indians.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Jungle natives
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:25 AM »
Copplestone produce 3 Tribe variants all are Brazilian indians

Tupi - these fought both and aginst the French, Dutch and Portuguese

Botocudo or Aimore - theres were nomadic cannicals who fought everybody

and generic indians - only 1 pack which is a shame.

Eureak also produce Tupi but you have to order "under the counter" The London War room also produce Tupi but they are smaller and not as well defined - cheap though.

If you want more exotic you could go for Aztecs, Incas etc. Here you have a wealth of choice Foudnry, Outpost Wargames services, Eureka and The Assault group.

Not mentioned abover are the Foundry Natives which are a very nice African range (see the Prof paint a mini a day project for examples)

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
Jungle natives
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
I have the Copplestone Bocotudo natives and they are really nice. The Brigade games are nice too, but I don't like them as much as the copplestone ones. The are a good complement if you need blowpipes, as Rhoderic said.

For the African natives, I will go with Foundry and Copplestone. It depends of the tribe you like most and match perfectly. The natives in the post "Return to the Valley that time forgot" are from copplestone.

Another option is obelisk if you want amazons, and Conquest for their pygmy zombies.

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
Jungle natives
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Jungle natives
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
Forgot about those, they are very nice, may have to get some for my Dino hunting :lol:

thanks for the link

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Jungle natives
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Forgot about those, they are very nice, may have to get some for my Dino hunting :lol:

thanks for the link

Yep just ordered a few (ahem :oops: ) to try out :lol:

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Jungle natives
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:30:44 AM »
Quote from: "Sinewgrab"
I am getting ready to run a miniatures heavy Mutants and Masterminds Pulp game, and I was looking recommendations on either South American natives or African natives. So far, I seem to be stuck with either the Darkest Africa from Foundry, or Copplestone's amazon tribes. Are there any other good ones out there?

I agree with the recommendations made by the others, except for Rhoderic's comment about the Old Glory possibly being to small.  I bought a few of the Old Glory figures and they are close enough, size-wise.  I think the issue with Old Glory is whether or not you like the style and relative crudeness of the castings for the cheap price (especially with the "Old Glory Army" membership).  The masked figures are quite interesting.

The Old Glory figures are often highly animated, with odd poses that make one wonder if the figure is supposed to have stepped into a hornets nest.  The sculpting on the arms and legs of the African figures is inferior to to that of Foundry and Copplestone.  However, the point of ordering the Old Glory is to get a cheap mass of figures that look good in mass.  The over-animation of the figures makes them look active and alive in mass.

I recommend the cannibals from the Old Glory pirate line.  I don't have any myself yet, but I played in a pirate game that featured these at Enfilade in Olympia, Washington, last June.  They are more bulky, so look fine along with Foundry figures.  The guy putting on the pirate game had done a very attractive paint job on them featuring mud packed hair.  The poses are varied and made several mean looking groups of cannibals.

By the way, Sinewgrab, we are neighbors.  I'm in Hillsboro.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Jungle natives
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 02:52:42 AM »
I never said "too small", just "small". This could be a good thing as easily as a bad one.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
Jungle natives
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 05:21:31 AM »
Blatent shout out ot the Northwesterners mentioned here, but any of you going to be at Game Storm in March?

As for the Old Glory cannibal natives.  I like these guys.  They look better than a lot of OG's oher stuff (I tend to be okay with OG, as they paint up pretty easily).  They seem to have a nice variety of gear, including some crude clubs that look like they could be bone or knobby wood.
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Jungle natives
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:12:33 AM »
Hmm. I'll have to take a look at the Old Glory ones.

The reason I said "stuck with" the Copplestone, is I have never been fond of his facial sculpting style - or his Future Wars line would have killed me financially. (heh). More to the point, I find him hard to get a hold of, and I dislike ordering from overseas. I have always had poor luck with it - with the exception of Hasslefree Miniatures. I just wanted to know if I had statside option for a 'native savages' faction in my Pulp Campaigns. Maybe someone has ones they want to trade? I'll have to put an ad in the Bazaar.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
Jungle natives
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »
If youdon't want to order from him directly, try the Thewarstore.com.  US online retailer that carries Copplestone.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
Jungle natives
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Jungle natives
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
But shouldn't south american natives be at least a head smaller than Europeans/Caucasians anyway? I know all the indigos in Mexico were way smaller than I am, and all photos of Amazonian tribals I've seen show them smaller than western anthropologists/scientists/aid-workers/travellers.

Copplestone figs are bigger than Foundry or Brigade and I believe Pulp Figs too. I don't think he made new dollies for the natives range.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++