Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:59:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mounting Buildings  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Mounting Buildings
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
So, I just got a large order of Arnica Montana buildings in. They look great and I can't wait to get the assembled and primed.  I've never dealt with pre-made buildings before. Is it recommended to mount them on balsa-wood/plasti-card/something first?  I've seen several pictures of Arnica buildings on the net that don't appear to be mounted.

Curious.

Thanks!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Mounting Buildings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:14:15 PM »
Depends what you want them for really.

I sometimes mount mine on 2mm MDF board, mainly because I had loads of it left after a DIY project.

It can add to the feel of the piece if you base them, just like with a figure, but if you want them for use in several different settings then you may not want to tie them to one particular era or scene.

For example, my Egyptian stuff is based, because it won't be used anywhere except the desert, but my GW gothic ruins aren't mounted because it might be useful to have them fit into different games.

Personally, I think bases look nicer, and add lots of character, but they do cut down the versatility of a model IMO.

Oh, and it depends how sturdy the buildings are too. Are they particularly top heavy? They may need a base to stop them toppling over during play.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Mounting Buildings
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »
I agree with Jolly Bob, a good base does finish off a model and add to the look of it, but does cut down its versatitilty. :?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Mounting Buildings
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
Yep looks nice, my main issue is terrain boards which I have none and use club tables (6/4 feet Chipboard covered in green carpet tiles etc

so buildings with or without bases aren`t such an issue. What I did do is buy some of the excellent Pardulon building corenr thingies and they break up the box look of buildings and can be applied for a wide range of periods

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Mounting Buildings
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »
To create a dilemma, my current terrain board has green grass and red dirt.  I've considered also making a more southwest desert style board in the future. Sounds like I'll need to leave these old west buildings off mounts for flexibility.

Or find some way to have a light mix of both terrain types on the board so they'll work either way.

Offline DarkWingDuck

• Assistant
    • http://thedarkwing.blogspot.com
Pardulon
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:49:39 PM »
Pardulon http://www.pardulon.com makes "bases" for buildings in their fantasy line.

They aren't actually bases though. They're little viginettes that can be put up against a building to make it look more "attached" to the terrain.

I can easily see something like this done in an "old west" style (maybe with wagon wheels that lean up against the building or tuffs of dead grass ... maybe even a cactus or dead tree).

That way you have the best of both worlds.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pardulon
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »
Quote from: "DarkWingDuck"
Pardulon http://www.pardulon.com makes "bases" for buildings in their fantasy line.

I can easily see something like this done in an "old west" style (maybe with wagon wheels that lean up against the building or tuffs of dead grass ... maybe even a cactus or dead tree).

That way you have the best of both worlds.

Thats the ones, I have just finished painting mine up for my Monolith Buildings  :) they are very nice too