Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yet more Perry WOTR  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
    • There's No More Room In Hell
Yet more Perry WOTR
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »
*DISCLAIMER*
I've only just started to get into the whole WOTR background, so please excuse any historical mistakes!! :?

Hi Guys, thanks for looking!

As I've said above, I'm dipping my toe into the Wars of the Roses, due in part to my wifes Yorkshire roots and also due to our own Captain Blood (note to the Perrys, you should start paying this man a commission for the exposure he's giving your models!!)
These are all from the Mercenaries box, originally bought to bulk out my Empire army, but having seen what can be done with the models in their actual setting, I had to do them proper justice!

Anyway, you guys aren't here for my life story, so here's some pictures of what I've got done so far, the colours are based (very loosely) on my own family heraldry, as I'm finding it difficult to find good literature on the colours and retinues of the time;

Hope you like what you see!!

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Re: Yet more Perry WOTR
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
Really nice work. I really like your painting style, quite understated... But in a good way  lol

You get alot in that boxset. It seems to be a buy, especially when they look as nice as these guy and captain bloods.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:51:21 PM »
Nice builds and painting, Rochie.
I warn you, they are addictive! Can't wait to get my hands on the Mounted Men-at-Arms box at Salute next week  :)
All the extra heads and arms will open up another million or so possibilities for foot figures, never mind the gee-gees.

Offline Rochie

• Librarian
    • There's No More Room In Hell
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »
Really nice work. I really like your painting style, quite understated... But in a good way  lol

You get alot in that boxset. It seems to be a buy, especially when they look as nice as these guy and captain bloods.

Cheers
Andy

Definitely mate, great value for money altogether!

Nice builds and painting, Rochie.
I warn you, they are addictive! Can't wait to get my hands on the Mounted Men-at-Arms box at Salute next week  :)
All the extra heads and arms will open up another million or so possibilities for foot figures, never mind the gee-gees.

Thank you very much mate, that's high praise indeed! As for them being addictive, I'm heading into town over the next couple of days to pick up the basic bill/bow set, and getting the guy in the shop to order a couple of boxes of the cavalry :) I would've loved to have gotten to Salute this year, but little Rochie number one is only a few weeks away from arriving, so hopefully next year eh? :D

.....Thinking about it, I'd better get a wiggle on and get a few more models painted while I still can!!

Quick question, I'm building the boxes to represent skirmish bands, what was the historical ratio of weapons per group, say a dozen men? and how many would be in armour (men at arms?? :?)

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
 :-* Excellent!!!!
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »
Great start  :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »
Quick question, I'm building the boxes to represent skirmish bands, what was the historical ratio of weapons per group, say a dozen men? and how many would be in armour (men at arms?? :?)

Well much as we all like to think of the Wars of the Roses as lines of knights in shining armour, clanking towards each other with swords and poleaxes, a la Boorman's 'Excalibur', I think the proportions in the Perry box are about right - i.e. very few men - only wealthy nobles and gentry - would be able to afford full 'white' armour, which would be the equivalent cost to buying a Porsche in today's money... (Well, maybe not a Porsche, but you get the idea).
90% or more would be 'ordinary' soldiers, mainly longbowmen and billmen, with lesser or zero armour, except perhaps a helmet.
The relative proportion of bow to bill seems to vary hugely depending on which book you read. Anything from 50:50 to ten-to-one (bows to every bill)!

There's a more erudite recent discussion on this topic here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=33570.0

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »
Pretty much what the Good Captain said...

Thinking in terms of modern society works on several levels. As far as armour goes; at the top you've got the people who are able to afford the best of everything and like to flash it about, then you have those who buy what they need to get the job done and of course those who do without. Weapons wise, ordinary bowmen were the 'skilled labour' of the day, while the rest were 'unskilled', these would be where your ordinary bill and spearmen came from.

Household men and retainers were a different ballgame imo though... I think of 'retinue bills' as being more like less wealthy men at arms, otherwise why would you pay them when you could just hire archers? Skilled and experienced archers were likely to be capable guys in hand to hand too, so multi-skilled. There wasn't a hard and fast distinction between cavalry and infantry and being ridden down by an archer mounted would feel pretty much the same as when somebody else did it.

If you think in terms of a pyramid, with fully armoured Knights, with nothing better to do than practice fighting at the top (<5%?), followed by less wealthy but able 'retinue bills', then retinue archers above ordinary folk able with a bow and finally everybody else at the bottom, I don't think you'll be wrong. You just have to decide whether the bottom feeders will be more use than hindrance... like a real WotR commander.

:)   

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:42 PM »
Those look very good! Well done!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
I love seeing all the WOTR paintjobs on here, thanks for sharing.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
Good start, nice colours and skilled brushwork. You'll want to buy another box once you're finished (i do  ;D)

Offline 15th Panzer

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
My first ever post. I’m a newbee. Be gentle with me.

Great to see the top work of another lover of the Perry’s WOTR range. The more the merrier. Love checking out all the various styles of painting, colours, construction and so on on the pages of this forum. It is amazing how everyone builds them slightly different. I am on my 16th box so love taking inspiration from the myriad of different construction and livery connotations. Thanks all.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
I am on my 16th box

Bloody hell!!!  :o
Now that's obsession. And I thought I was bad!
Show us what you've got then  :)

(And welcome to Lead Adventure, by the way... Although if we carry on at this rate, we might need to change the name to Lead and Plastic Adventure  ;))

Offline 15th Panzer

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
Fortunately, there is a reasonable smattering of lead in the ranks. Still trying to figure out how to work this internet forum thing so will attempt to post some decent pics later this evening as I’m on my office mac at the mo. I checked out your work before I registered - genius. I do not know how you do it and I have been painting for decades.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Thanks - me too. Practice makes perfect  ;)

If you're new to the internet forum world, then the inside track on the etiquette ('netiquette' for nerds) would be for you to start a new topic in the sub-forum of your choice, if and when you have things of your own to talk about / show. (No pressure  ;))

If you want to post photos, then you need to host them somewhere online.
Flickr, Photobucket, or similar free image hosting sites are the usual.
Alternatively, if you make a small donation to become a supporting member of this forum (just means you volunteer to pay a small sub to help keep the place running) then you can upload pictures from your PC to your own gallery here on Lead Adventure and use that to host your pictures.

Once you've hosted your pic somewhere, you should be able to right click on it and select 'copy image address' - that's a link to the unique web address of that image on the internet.
Then in your forum post, you click on the little screen icon (second in from the left above the smilies), which inserts these characters (img) and (/img) into your text.

You then paste in the image address link between the two sets of brackets, and lo, when you preview your post and / or actually post it, the image will miraculously appear in it :)

Hope that's helpful.