Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Interbellum - What are they doing up there? 13.01.2015  (Read 28520 times)

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: Interbellum - Ghosts and (Arthur's?) Tomb
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
Very nice the tomb and the ghosts look great!

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 06:30:09 AM »
Yep, the mist works. Its a really nice subtle touch.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
Some lovely stuff in this thread - great paint and conversions, and I love the photoshopped pics, especially the film strip! Top job.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
I think you have done a great job with the Ghosts and the Tomb. I enjoyed reading your update.

Tony

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
Thanks so far guys; glad you like it. :)

Since so many seem to like the handouts I prepare for my players, I thought I'd show you the 'startup packs' for each of them, which I made at the very start of the campaign.

They had two purposes; to immerse the players into the setting (rural England, 1932) by presenting them with all matter of character specific documents, tickets, pictures, letters etc, and to give them a lot of clues concerning the mystery I had set up for them. A lot of research went into this, as I like to stay as close as possible to actual history. I know my players are Google and book savvy enough to find out about familiar facts. And this way, I can put them on the wrong track, by adding my own little twists here and there ;)

Things started out in a Miss Marple / James Herriot style setting (and pace), to evolve into something both swashbuckling and pulpy like Indiana Jones and/or darker and scarier like Cthulu and Weird World War stuff. So they originally started out as pretty straightforward ordinary humans, with some interesting specialities. The crazy psionics, jetpacks and world domination plans are still to follow. But in the very near future it appears...

So, the first pack is Don Dominic de la Rossa's. The Spanish expert on the occult, fencer and black sheep of the family, who aspires to become a novelist, but only manages to get published by pulpy magazines...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:22:21 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:27 PM »
Then we have his good friend, Mortimer Gray Esq. He's old money. To be precise; the money is his father's, but since the old man has left for Africa for an extender period to go big game hunting, Morty has had free reign of his father's estate Stenigot Hall and went a bit overboard in his spending spree. He 'imported' his trusty manservant all the way form India and bought himself a spanking new plane. He also does his heavy drinking in the BLack Horse, the local pub, which gets trashed regularly in drunken brawls, for which he usually covers the tabs...

I seem to be missing the photo of the letter from the bank though. In which the manager, a friend of Lord Gray's, tells him he will have to contact his father about Morty's spending habits. But you get the picture... ;)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
Up next is the trusty manservant himself; Harold Victory. I believe I have expanded on his background before, but a more complete picture arises from these handouts, I'm sure:

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
More clues about the ongoing campaign were added to the next contestant's envelope; Patrick Brennant. He's a recovering alcoholic and an ex-detective from the Chicago Police Department. He was earning his keep with some private investigating when the FBI, on the lookout for an expendable operative (to be plausibly denied if required), contacted him. And with the promise of re-instatement after a succesful job, was sent to recover the missing plans for an energy weapon. And that's where the fun (and games) began...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
And some of the occurrences that were clues for the American P.I. to follow started to occur in the UK as well. The local doctor in Donington-on-Bain was confronted with (almost?) exactly the same murder in his sleepy little village. His name is Humpfrey Gerald Pearson M.D., and is not at all amused that his quiet village life is being upset by these ghastly events. In his words, it's all quite preposterous really...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
Finally, we have the last, and often quiet, addition to the group; Edward Price-Carter. He's a reporter for National Geographic, doing the boring jobs, like photographing appealing vacation locations. Secretly though, he dreams of becoming a daring crime reporter and the chance for his big break comes when in a village near where he was working, a murder was committed. And a mysterious one at that! So he manages to get in on the action...

As you have gathered by now, I'm a sucker for detail. It gets me great results but progress is often incredibly slow. I made all of the above from images gathered through endless internet searches, copious hours of Photoshopping, the acquisition of an actual typewriter (for only €5,- :) ), numerous kinds of paper and cutting instruments plus a very flexible printer. I had an absolute blast doing all this though.

It was a heap of work, but now, I can get away with the occasional handout, building on this basis. Of course, a lot of the miniatures I choose are also influenced by my work on this. Most notably the cars. And the player characters of course!

Well, after this little intermezzo, I will go back to the actual miniatures. Next update will sport the work of two evenings; half the squad of Fallschirmjäger, who are nearly finished, and their camp consisting tents, supplies, a campfire and part of the archaeological dig. That will most probably be this weekend though, as there are some social occasions in the way before then... ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:31:52 PM by Daeothar »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Interbellum - the original player Handouts
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
Wow, I'm... Lost for words!  :o

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 08:20:09 PM »
Absolutely incredible!  :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »
Wow, I'm... Lost for words!  :o

Me too!

This is the third time I have looked at this latest post already, and all I can add is: Ditto!

:o :o :o

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »
Quite, quite remarkable.  Such ingenuity and effort, and such convincing results.

Bet your fingers ache after using a typewriter, though.  I was shocked by how hard you had to hit the keys when I tried using one again a few years back (when once it seemed so normal),

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 04:41:48 AM »
Good god man! This is patently insane!

EDIT: What really gets me is you open this page of the thread and scroll down

...and down

...and down

...and down

...and down

It just goes on forever!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:53:46 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.