Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Interbellum - What are they doing up there? 13.01.2015  (Read 28458 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Interbellum - WIP Backdrop Building revealed
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
That is very nice work, all around! What is the URL for the paper model supplier?

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2012, 05:16:21 AM »
That is very nice work, all around! What is the URL for the paper model supplier?

That's the free model from http://www.scalescenes.com/
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
Thanks!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
Well, normally, I'm not that good at blogging progress; I usually sit back and take time to shoot some pictures when I'm done. But for some reason, I was not really in the mood to do any hobby work last night, and whilst sitting there, looking at my workbench trying to decide whether or not I should call it a night and grab a book or just do some easy stuff, I decided to take some pictures with my phone before retiring with my copy of A Feast for Crows ;)

Basically, here's most of the WIP stuff I have lined up in this project (for now). There's more though, but all in due time... ;)

First, there are some shots of the interior of the first FA-223 Drache. In the real world, this first of operational helicopters had an effective payload of slightly over 1000 kgs and space for 5 passengers, but in my pulp setting, its engine has double the power, so it can lift double that weight and since my engine is also smaller, it now also has room for 10 passengers. And I can conveniently drop off a full squad with one helicopter... :D

This one (of two planned) has been converted to have an open door, meaning I had to model the entire cabin as well. I basically doubled the freight/passenger compartment, by adding more airframework and moving the rear wall further back. I also added folding seats along the sides for the passengers. I've seen versions out there with a wooden floor added, but frankly, I'd hate to loose the cool framework under some boring flat floor, so I'm still undecided whether or not to add a floor, just two lengthwise boards for the passengers to walk/stand on, or to just leave the bare framework. It's a toss up between cool and functional, but I'm leaning towards the rule of cool for now...

The whole thing has been basecoated dark gray and had a light inkwash applied. It still needs some darker shading, highlighting and detailing of course. Also, the cockpit instruments have not been attached yet.

A helicopter is only useful if there is someone flying it of course. So I decided it needed a pilot, as the Huma kit did not have one. Thing is though, that 1/48 sitting/steering Luftwaffe pilots are hard to find on their own, and when I did find one, in 1/48 and metal, it cost so much I could buy an entire squad of Artizan troops with money to spare instead of one of those. So I decided to convert one myself. I had some German vehicle crew lying around, and one of those was volunteered to fly my contraption.

And since I had already prepared and converted the crew on foot (with the pilot wearing a leather jacket and an officer cap), he had to resemble his flootslogging counterpart. So I cut off the cap from an available german officer and used it to replace the sitting figure's field cap. And since the crew figures all look like stunted dwarfs (well, their legs at least), I also used jackboots (off the officer who already donated his head to the pilot on foot) to lengthen his legs to more human proportions. I still need to sculpt his jacket and repair his legs, but you can get the idea already:

And here is the crew, out for a stroll. The crew chief is from the Artizan Pulp line, and I believe he actually is a German U-boat crewman. But the uniform is close enough, and the MG34 he's toting, I imagine to be mounted in the door opening, Huey-style, when airborne.

The pilot is also an Artizan Pulp figure, but originally had a head in a leather flight cap, with a very smug face and a huge 'stache. All way too British and WW1 looking, so I cut off the head and replaced it with the head of yet another Artizan Pulp mini, this one a German officer firing an MP40. He has just the right snarl, and with a holstered Lüger added to his hip, the pose is actually enhanced. I really like this conversion:

Then the camp itself.

I wanted it to match the pictures I prepared, so off to find the correct equipment. And I knew just where to look too, and got myself a set of Renedra  mixed tents. One sprue has two large tents, two small and two round ones, plus a campfire and two stretchers/benches too. I opted not to use the round ones, but the square tents were just perfect. I will be buying more of these in the future!

The set has one closed tent of each type and one opened. Now, I'd hate to have an open tent just sitting like that on the grass, so I based the open ones, added a ground tarp and some bedrolls and packs. I also lengthened the tent pegs with a bit of plastic profile (giving them all a hooked appearance) and of course some tent poles. I'm still looking for the length of very thin spring steel I have lying around somewhere, as I thought it'd be just perfect to make tent lines with them. I want to attach them just to the tent, and their springiness would ensure the lines always touch the ground, even on uneven terrain. Add some more pegs to the free ends, and it all looks just right.

But I can't find the spring, so that might have to be foregone for now... ::)

And here are the interiors of the two open tents. Hopefully the pics are clear enough, as my phone was in the way of the light and it does not have a flash.

The large one:

And the smaller one:

And just assembled, but still needing to be based, the campfire and the two folding benches to sit on and sing marching songs and roast chestnuts, during those long and cold Highland evenings:

Of course a base of operations far away from any support needs supplies. So I've assembled several supply caches to go with the camp. First up is an ammo dump. A resin stack of crates, some plastic crates added, with some ammo boxes and assorted ammo and a sniper rifle. The open crate has some straw in it, and there will be grenades added in there later on.

I also had a fuel dump ready, which is already undercoated too, but for some reason, it escaped my photo mania, so I still owe you that picture. It's basically a bunch of drums under a tarp (partially thrown back) and several jerrycans (they're not called that for nothing you know ;) ).

And finally, what secret base in the Highlands is complete without a planning table? Two tresles with a table top, a portable radio leaning against it and a crate underneath. The top will be filled with maps, pictures, coffee mugs and a side arm or two, but first, it needs to be painted as is:

I will also make an awning of camo netting, freestanding, so it can be placed over one or two of the supply bases. But that's just in the planning phase. Also only planned for now, is an archaeological dig, to go with the tomb and pictures. basically just a shallow square pit, with some digging and measuring instruments. And maybe some stuff poking out of the ground of course :D

That's it for now, and then I have not even mentioned the Highland Rifles infantry, the DeHaviland Walrus plane, several PCs and NPCs and a fleet of about 20 cars that need finishing. So many minis, so little time... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Interbellum - WIP secret German camp
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
Added, as I forgot to post it, the aforementioned fuel dump :D :

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »
Great stuff!

Although it as all great, and the attention to detail is up to your usual standard, I love the work on the helicopter and the conversion work on the crew most of all.
 :-*

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
Beautiful work all around, and so much creativity and an incredible eye for detail!
 :-* :o :-*

Offline Maxx Von Morton

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »
Fantastic! I have no words...  :-* :-* :-* :-*
You did an incredible job!
I wish I could play your adventure, it mast be fantastic!  :D :D
Go on, and post more pictures and comments, so we can follow the story!  :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »
Beautiful work :-* :-* :-* I am lost for words,just lovely :-* :-* :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »
Well, about time I put some pictures where my posts are. I have not updated this venerable thread since 2012, and also not since I took the opportunity to revisit this project in the treadomancy sticky.

Which does not mean I've been inactive since then. On the contrary; I've been faithfully dabbling away ever since I signed up.

I've built a number of pieces of thematic scatter terrain, which were still in dire need of finishing. Some, if most have already been shown in this thread back when, so instead of my usual blabbering, I will just post the pictures instead :D

First up; the ammo dump:

Then the fuel dump:

Followed by a nice cozy campfire:

And then the HQ planning table. The keen observer might even spot that the pictures on the table are the very same ones I handed out to the players. Yes; I'm still mad that way... ::)

Then it's on to the tents. They were basically finished already, but the ones with an interior still needed some basing, so...

And to complement the tomb stone I had already finished, here's the archeological dig I mentioned back in the day. Here I could go to town a bit, as I originally studied Archeology back in uni, and I was able to put in all the tools of the trade, I used to be so familiar with:

And to conclude the camp site for now, here are some WIP Fallschirmjäger equipment cannisters. The only thing still required is the paintjob and some static grass:

Then it's on to the characters, be they player or not.

I've decided to rebase my player characters, to match the other minis in this project. Whilst I'm really satisfied with the bases as they are, they stand out too much against the rest of the bases, so I redid the concept of the paved streets on some metal washers. This has the added benefit of the minis being more stable as well.

They're all finished and undercoated, and I've already put down the basecoat for the paving bricks:

Also, I was still missing two of the player characters, which have now been finished and are waiting for their bases. It's the obnoxiously versatile human swiss-armyknife, Chinese manservant Harold Victory, and roving reporter, looking for his break into criminal investigation, Edward Price-Carter:

Then it's on to the first NPC, the player group's Scottish guide up in the highlands (his name eludes me for now; I really need to dig out my campaign notes). I had already started him a couple of years ago, but never finished him. Looking back, I'm not at all convinced by his tartan, and I'm strongly leaning towards redoing it; it's way too messy to my liking now...

And of course the bad guys. I already have the cannonfodder in the shape of a squad of Fallschirmjäger, but they need to be lead, so here are some nefarious characters doing just that. An SS officer overseeing the archeological dig, and the instigator of the entire caper, the killer of Dr. Jenkins and a lot of others, the mysterious Mr. ... (I really, really, need those notes lol ):

Then there are the crew of the Drache helicopter. Even after all this time, I'm still really happy with the conversion of the pilot. They're obviously still very much WIP:

Crew

The biggest challenge I'm up against though, is the finishing of the helicopter. I've decided I really only need the one for now, so I'll be holding on the other kit. You never know when you'll be needing two after all ;)

This is the right hand side rotor strut. A pretty complicated piece, made up of both plastic and resin components. And since this will be a gaming piece, it also needs to be able to withstand the rigors of tabletop combat. So I pinned it in every join. There are also pins sticking out of the fuselage already, to fit into the framework. It'll be quite sturdy when finished. the left one is still to be assembled though:

Then there's the interior of the craft, which had to be built first. It's now finished, and I've even fitted the pilot in there already. He only received a basic paintjob, as he'll be encased in a huge helicopter anyhow.

I could only fit the pedals once the pilot was in, and I then discovered that the original ones were too far out and small. So I quickly made some out of plasticard. Those still need to be painted. There will also no cable boom coming from the instruments; I constantly have to remind myself that this is a gaming piece, and not a display model... ::)

And finally a shot of the fuselage parts. Nothing special to see yet, although the cockpit canopy, which is made up of two parts, has been assembled and the insides of the frames have been painted. The assembly actually required some green stuff, as the fit is horrendous. I also dry fitted the canopy to the fuselage, and the fit is even more problematic there. We'll have to wait and see how this turns out:

As a parting gift (for now), I could not help myself, and I just had to create a small scene with the finished pieces, to get a sneak peak at the end result. The terrain is one half of the dedicated playing surface I created for this scenario.

It's two plates of insulation foam, with hills made of the same foam and wall filler. This was then covered with teddy fur, and the clearing in the middle (front on the picture, as there's only one of the two plates used here) was covered with sand. Green paint was watered down and used to paint the (originally light brown) fur, which I had already given a messy haircut. Sadly, a lot of the fur still stuck together, so I might have to thoroughly comb it to get rid of all the clumps.

lol Anywho; enjoy the shots:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:21:07 AM by Daeothar »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Interbellum - What are they doing up there? 13.01.2015
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Cracking update  8) 8) 8)

All kinds of win.

I really like the street bases and the game shots  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 12:37:14 PM »
So much nice stuff to look at, so many things to like :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »
 :o :o :o
Absolutely stunning, mate.
My post of the week (and some!).
 :-* :-* :-*

Make sure that you take a good long look at all the little details on the scenery pieces, there is so much in there: Stains on the tarps, all the little tools, the mug, the maps complete with coffee rings.
Wonderful.
Just wonderful
 8) 8) 8)

Then there are the figures....really looking forward to seeing thm all finished.

Oh, and the bases....

Enough!
Just droll, chaps.
Drool....

:-* 8) :-*

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
Great stuff all round, but my god that plaid on Carter-Price!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2015, 06:56:39 PM »
What they all said, but I have fallen in love with the 'Time Team' Dig, I will be attempting my own (for a Pulp Alley plot point).