Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:51:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690727
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Modern German Kit?  (Read 9924 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
28mm Modern German Kit?
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
I'm picking up some of the lovely LAM Ferman marines at Salute, and was wondering if someone in the know might share what basic vehicles they're using at the moment, like the equiv. of Landy Snatch, WMIK, Hummer, etc. Bear in mind I'm looking for models of them so if you know a maker as well that would be handy.

Also has anyone any references for their camos? Looking to field them in a middleeast setting so imagine they have a "desert" one.

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 28mm Modern German Kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
the camouflage is called Wüsten (desert) Flecktarn.

It's basically just tan with dark green/olive and light brown spots on it. It can easily be achieved by using an old bristly brush, going over a paper towel till next to no paint is on it like drybrushing, and then applying the spot colors over the base layer in a stippling motion. Works for all similar camos like digital MARPAT etc. too.

Here is a german article for painting basic woodland Flecktarn:

http://www.dhc-wargames.de/bastelecke/flecktarn.html

As for vehicles, there has been a lot of new kit introduced in the last years after experiences in Afghanistan.

Basically, Panzergrenadiers still ride around in Marders, the new Puma still being in production for the most part.

Main Battle Tank is the Leopard 2 obviously, newest version is A6.

Other troops use all kinds of different vehicles for transport, such as Dingo and Mungo... Can't remember all those animal names.

You will probably find manufacturers of 28mm version of Leopards and Marders, but the newer stuff will be hard to find outside of 20mm and similar model kits.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
Thanks for rapid and informative post. I'm printing out those pics as I type. I like the camo, looks fun to paint and not as hard as the old pea dot. I'm only having a small force so really after just a jeep and an IFV. Have to give the enemy a chance, eh?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:24:35 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »

Other troops use all kinds of different vehicles for transport, such ... Mungo...

Mungo Jerry?

"Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find ..."
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »
Err--- Whatever  ???

The basic Jeep of the Bundeswehr is the Wolf, a Mercedes G-Wagen modified for military use. It isn't used much outside of bases in Afghanistan though because of the light armor, having been replaced almost completely with the heavily armored Dingo that is closer to a Humvee on steroids.

So I'd say a Wolf and a Marder 1A3 :)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
I think I may have to modify a diecast for the wolf, and thus far the Marder is ellusive. I'll have a good look for both at Salute this Saturday. Thanks again.

Does that mungo come in a gunned up version? It doesn't seem to have any mounted weapons...

For anyone else interested or finding this thread in the future here's a few vids of some of the vehicles...

Wolf

Mungo

Dingo

Boxer

Marder

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:07:56 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
I gave up looking for vehicles for 28mm as there just doesn't seem to be any on the market. Shame as there's some nice stuff in other scales (got a bunch of 1/72 vehicles unbuilt) but I guess everyone wants hummers and wotnot. If you find anything in 28mm I'd be keen to know too.  ;)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
Ah yes, forgot about the Boxer. It is supposed to be the next vehicle for the mechanized Infantry, replacing the old Fuchs APC.

The Mungo fills a similar role but seems to be designed for more specialized tasks where speed is more important than armor. It's more of a truck without any weapons mounted.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Don't company B have a G-wagen? or did I imagine it.

*non-edit edit*
appears not http://homepage.mac.com/brentdietrich/companyB_models_moderns.html
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »

Here is a german article for painting basic woodland Flecktarn:

http://www.dhc-wargames.de/bastelecke/flecktarn.html

what a Mess  :?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
Well to be fair, at 3 feet distance it will look pretty much exactly like real flecktarn at this scale would look ;)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 03:59:06 AM »
Our G wagon is enroute.  Model kits are cast, I'm waiting for delivery.  That would be for the standard G-wagon with hard top, and the armored military variant used by German and US special forces.

We also "will" be doing some other modern German vehicles as well. The first of which is the german Wiesel and variants, which was requested by a client.  I'll have preview prints of that in a few weeks.

After that, I'm open to suggestions!

Brent
Company B

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
I gave up looking for vehicles for 28mm as there just doesn't seem to be any on the market. Shame as there's some nice stuff in other scales (got a bunch of 1/72 vehicles unbuilt) but I guess everyone wants hummers and wotnot. If you find anything in 28mm I'd be keen to know too.  ;)

You can allways go down the 1/48 lane, thats what I do now.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »
Way more stuff in 20mm than 28mm or 1/48th or even 15mm. I personally do not know of anywhere where you can get 1/48th/28mm vehicles for the German army. French, British and Russian certainly, but not German.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 03:32:32 PM »
So I'd say a Wolf and a Marder 1A3 :)

Got to play smart ass here. The Bundeswehr uses Marder 1A5 in Afghanistan ... you don't see that many differences to the 1A3 or even 1A4 though. Most of the stuff was done on the inside and mine protection was improved. You do see a difference when it comes to the "Kettenschürze", the armour that protects the wheels and the track. It used to be "light weighed" steel inforced rubber and has become something else. Can't be bothered to look it up. In addition to that there are some boxes fitted to the Marder and the hatches of the "hintere Kampfraum" (rear combat compartment - basically where the Heckklappenviecher stick their heads out) have been redesigned.

I say for gaming purposes the 1A3 would be sufficient, though.

von der Tann
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)