Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 592979 times)

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.115! The project flickers into life
« Reply #1710 on: September 30, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
That is some pretty metal there. Great to see some medievals from you :D

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.115! The project flickers into life
« Reply #1711 on: September 30, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »
Glad to see you back on medievals. :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1712 on: September 30, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
Nice !  Instead of the typical "knight in shining armor," a warrior who has just been in the fray.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #1713 on: September 30, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »
Looking good and battle tested Captain!

Christopher

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1714 on: September 30, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
Don't stop now! Great painting!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Great painting.  :-* :-*   How did you model the boots?

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Lovely stuff as always Richard  8) 8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks  :)

Great painting.  :-* :-*   How did you model the boots?

Nothing to do with me, Gary. That’s how this particular Perry figure comes. Full harness, except for the rather New Romantic boots  ;)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
Will this thread see a revival once the HYW mounted knights box releases?  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Oh yes  :)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Well Captain Blood I have finally given into the inspiration you have provided, initially bought a sprue of each of the Perry plastics and a small number of part built figures off ebay and started painting. It is a painting project to start with, no idea how much use they will actually get but enjoying the fruits of the labour so far.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
Alive! It's aliiiiive!

And splendidly so; good work, cap'n! Two years isn't that long to wait. Last year I finished off an old figure who'd been stuck waiting, partially painted, since 2011, poor thing.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks chaps, and well done Roger  :D

Well, another six months have elapsed but finally I have my arse in gear! The advent of the HYW mounted knights set has spurred me back into life on my Wars of the Roses mounted knights. Mainly to see what kit-bashing opportunities are offered by the new horse armour parts and heads. But also because there are now an amazing EIGHT different Perry late medieval sets, and so the kitbashing potential for assembling new, unique models by intermixing parts from all these sets has expanded exponentially since I made the majority of my original collection.

So here are a few example builds… The first two figures are hybrids… I pictured these before in the thread about the HYW mounted set, but include them again here for completeness...

Number one is a half-armoured WOTR light cavalry body with a WOTR knight’s head in visored sallet, but sporting arms from the new HYW mounted knights set. These look fractionally too long, because Alan’s HYW mounted knights are a good 10% bigger and taller all round than Michael’s WOTR mounted sets. But that’s a very nifty war-hammer. Slightly different to the one in the WOTR mounted knights set. The horse has the new HYW head sporting a chamfron with a short segmented crinet and perforated eye guards. And the new plate armour peytral or chest piece, which is a lovely little piece of kit.

(Oh, actually, I've just noticed that in these photos the horses and riders are swapped the other way round, but never mind... ;))

Number two is one of the new HYW lighter armoured rider bodies, with the bascinet-wearing head chopped off and a WOTR sallet head substituted. The arms, including the huuuuge falchion come from the new HYW mounted set. The horse uses the new chainmail barding fore and aft, plus the new horse head in a hefty plate chamfron with pronounced central comb, and a matching mail crinet.

Numbers three and four are slightly more ambitious works, as they are both ‘cut-and-shut’ horses. In other words, take one of the horse halves and chop that in half. Then repeat with a different horse half. Then stick the two alternative half-halves together. Make good the joint with a little Green Stuff. Hey presto - this allows you to create different horse postures which you simply can’t do straight from the box without surgery – like a standing or walking horse for instance…

So number three is a standing horse. I have used one of the fully armoured WOTR horse heads, but cut away the moulded-on plumes (which I've never much liked), and replaced with a lighter feather arrangement from the new HYW set. I have also pinched Simon (Painterman’s) idea and added perforated eye-guards from Green Stuff. The chainmail Peytral requires a little bit of Green Stuffing to cover the join of the two halves at the front of the chest. And the croupiere or rear-quarters barding now has a leather tack of Green Stuff to make sense of the join along the top of the rump. The rider is a straight build from the WOTR mounted knights set, although I think that particular sallet comes from the WOTR Foot Knights set. (There are now over 70 different WOTR era heads available in the various Perry sets – all different, but some quite similar. So it’s quite hard keeping track of which part I’ve pulled from where). This commander is urging his men onwards, brandishing his mace in style!

Number four is a light cavalry pricker or scurrer. This is the other cut-and-shut horse. It barely has a hoof on the ground, but that’s not uncommon for galloping horses. I’ve used the HYW horse head with chamfron with mail crinet, but I’ve cut the central reinforcing comb right down. I’ve paired this with the new plate armour peytral. I’ve trimmed the studs off the rear tack because I’m sick of painting the wretched things. The rider is another WOTR light cavalry body, but with a sallet from the WOTR Foot Knights set - the Coventry style helmet with the distinctive jawbone visor: One of my faves. The lance and rein arms and the buckler are actually co-opted from the HYW French Infantry set. I think they work well.

I now have about 30-40 new WOTR items in progress on the paint table at the moment (building out my core murrey-and-blue Yorkist force), so this thread should spring back into colourful life before too much longer…

Famous last words...  lol

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:11:33 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
I now have about 30-40 new WOTR items in progress on the paint table at the moment (building out my core murrey-and-blue Yorkist force), so this thread should spring back into colourful life before too much longer…

Famous last words...  lol

Some great builds Richard - my personal favourite is the one with the mace.

Don’t forget to spread the love though....looking forward to more Westerosi as well

:)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some interesting and out-of-the-usual figures there.  Prickers aren't often depicted, nor is the falchion.