Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:35:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.156 Scots pike block painted  (Read 592553 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.125 - The Painted Dead
« Reply #1875 on: September 06, 2020, 11:08:34 AM »
Nicely done, sir.
The dead have never looked better.
 8) 8)

Now THAT is how to sell the 'no card tokens and chits' philosophy.

It certainly beats a nice shiny fluorescent plastic token, dice or piece of cardboard any day!
 :)

I especially like the new ones, I think they actually look more realistic without the gore.  8)

I concur.
Gore can be seriously over-rated.
 ;)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1876 on: September 06, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »
The dead really brings life to a battlefield. For a long time I have been wanting to make markers of casualties where close combats have been fought, to kind of help tell the story of a battle. This might have given me the final push.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1877 on: September 06, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
The dead really brings life to a battlefield.

Interesting concept. For my money, the thing they bring is death. lol

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #1878 on: September 06, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
Very impressive work.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #1879 on: September 06, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
The dead really brings life to a battlefield. For a long time I have been wanting to make markers of casualties where close combats have been fought, to kind of help tell the story of a battle. This might have given me the final push.

I agree. I tend to use casualty figures as ‘shock’ markers but I’d like to use them to show the story as well.
And those WotR casualties are very nice - the partly stripped figure is an excellent idea.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1880 on: September 08, 2020, 09:18:27 PM »
Thanks gents  :)
I was planning on doing a few more, but have just been waylaid by the new Perry Afghans which landed on the doormat today  lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #1881 on: September 08, 2020, 10:18:59 PM »
Thanks gents  :)
I was planning on doing a few more, but have just been waylaid by the new Perry Afghans which landed on the doormat today  lol

lol lol

BUTTERFLY!!!
 ;D

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1882 on: September 09, 2020, 12:13:37 AM »
Ambushed by Afghans  I am sure it is not the first time that has happened :D
I Will be searching  for the thread with the afghans

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.122 - The Ungrateful Dead
« Reply #1883 on: September 09, 2020, 12:57:06 AM »
I've eschewed the blood and gore on these figures. I think it's enough that they're dead. Or sleeping. Awkwardly.

Agree.

And well done. Yet another awesome addition to an already fantastic collection.  :-*

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1884 on: September 09, 2020, 01:23:47 AM »
More beautiful work.  Enjoy the Afghans too.  :)
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #1885 on: September 09, 2020, 06:32:44 AM »
very nice painting on these
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #1886 on: September 09, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
I was planning on doing a few more, but have just been waylaid by the new Perry Afghans which landed on the doormat today

You could try combining the two topics, and convert a few of the Afghans into WotR casualties... though their clothing might be looser than what was in fashion in the late 15th century England.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #1887 on: September 18, 2020, 06:14:53 PM »
Not a bad idea :)
Can't be any stranger than a dead Zulu at Bosworth anyway...

Meanwhile, I've settled on my counters strategy for Never Mind The Billhooks  :D
As explained somewhere up above, I'm anal about NOT littering my wargames tabletop with plastic chits and printed counters - nicely done as the printed ephemera for NMTBH is.

So in addition to the battlefield casualties as 'Daunted' markers, I'm going to do discarded battlefield debris as 'Disarray' markers.
I'm also doing arrow supply markers (very much as suggested by Lord Callan in the rules), and order tokens.
These will be on steel repair washers, which I use for all my basing - 40mm (for the dead), 25mm, 20mm, and 15mm respectively.

The wonderful side benefit of having built a couple of hundred Perry plastic Wars of the Roses figures, is that I have a vast collection of spare parts, including several hundred heads which will never otherwise be used. So what a great way of using up some of that spare plastic :)

For the titchy order tokens, I've gone with a single abandoned helmet - these will be murrey-and-blue for York, and blue-and-white for Lancaster (painted helmets were probably a rarity at the time, but hey, nobody knows for sure, so what the hell... ) With white flowers on the York order tokens, and red flowers on the Lancaster ones (Wars of the Roses, see?)

For the 'Disarray' markers, there are many spare parts that can be thrown into the mix to create interesting and varied bases.
On this test piece I've used another sallet helmet, a gauntlet, and a sword in its scabbard. In reality of course, nobody in their right mind would drop an expensive item like a decent sword or helmet (other perhaps, than in a complete panic-stricken rout). But they serve the purpose well enough.
I've pulled out a whole boxful of assorted suitable spare parts - bits of armour cut off redundant bodies or arms (pauldrons will work particularly well for this I think), endless parts of polearms, various pennons and flags, bucklers, cannon balls, broken staves, and so on. Hell, I might even do one with some horse armour :)

For the arrow supply markers, I've just used a sheaf of Perry arrows (the ones from the Agincourt English set will do just as well as these ones from the WOTR set), and made a small micro-dice shaped recess to take the die that indicates the remaining arrow supply.
Luckily, as a one-time avid collector and player of the Pirates collectible card game, I have thousands of these tiny dice in a whole range of colours. (Although to stay true to my mantra of not littering the tabletop with bits of garish plastic, I'll probably just stick to the muted black ones with white spots).

In all cases, the basic manufacturing process is the same... A small mound of Green Stuff applied directly to the metal base; embed the components, make up the surrounding groundwork with paint/sand/PVA mix, spray the whole thing with primer, paint, add tufts. Simples.

And for scale...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.126 - Assorted battlefield markers
« Reply #1888 on: September 18, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
The different sizes of bases are a really good idea. A kind of visual shorthand so you have less chance of getting what they represent muddled up (which I think I might do if I was using markers of the same size for different purposes, even with different items on said bases knowing me I'd still get in a muddle from time to time).

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's Perry Mounted Men at Arms. P.126 - Assorted battlefield markers
« Reply #1889 on: September 18, 2020, 07:21:20 PM »
Cracking  idea and well executed :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*